Anybody else sick of this Superhero, overplayed cash cow?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not being specific as this is mostly a general statement.

Stop. It's just too much. I know films are made to entertain and make money. But good lord, cut us some slack! Personally, I can't get away from it...and I grew up on superhero genre! Every time I turn around it a new TV show. The movies are saturated with them! Sometimes they run along each other because they're stacking up! Entertainment news is half related to the hero genre. Because of this, I've lost my enthusiasm for anything else comic book related.

Surely I'm not the only one?

I'm getting sick of franchises in general, but especially superheroes. I'm done now that I've seen Endgame. I really have no interest in them anymore. I wasn't even seeing them in theaters anymore. Lately anything that isn't a franchise film has piqued my interest a lot more. It's just a shame you hardly see them advertised.

I saw 3 Marvel movies altogether (one of them was Deadpool), none of the DC ones since the Nolan trilogy and I didn't really like those much either so I'm just kinda blocking it out the whole superhero thing.
I fully agree with CT1138, people around me with whom I talk to about movies make it out like I'm the Grinch because I don't want a new sequel, franchise addition to anything really. I'm perfectly content with the 2 seasons of Stranger Things, don't need 2 more seasons until it gets sour. I would have been OK if GoT ended 2 seasons ago. I don't care for the 6 new Alien short films, the upcoming Terminator movie, the newest Ghostbusters and haven't seen The Predator...I watched a few movies recently like Under the Skin, Enemy, Neon Demon, and it just felt refreshing not needing to get wound up in a series/franchise/sequel, etc...even Life, which I found mediocre felt like OK, this was a story told from beginning to end. Huge props to Haunting on Hill House for this, 10 episodes, beginning, middle and a satisfactory end, done deal.

I realized I was burned out on the "Superhero" genre while I was sitting in a theater in July of 2015 about 20-30 minutes into Ant-Man. I found myself thinking, "Oh good, another origin story about a guy who doesn't want to be a hero but will be forced into it anyway." And shortly thereafter I realized I was mentally listing the number of "origin story" movies I've had to endure during my lifetime instead of watching the movie I paid to see. So I started watching the movie again, and it was the same by-the-numbers "how this guy/girl became a hero" movie I'd seen a hundred times already. As a result I've made very little effort to see any of the Marvel Universe movies since, and of the 10 released since Ant-Man I've seen only two (and then only because they were available on Netflix).

I've personally really enjoyed the Marvel movies. Not all of them are really worth repeat viewings though there are a few exceptions. As for a genre, I agree it's played out and it's annoying everything has to be a franchise, though if the content is good I'm open to seeing whatever.

I guess it would be better to say that it will just depend on my mood. I've read the spoilers for Endgame and I'm looking forward to seeing it as the conclusion of this big puzzle. After that I'm not sure how they will be able to continue without having to start from square one again.

I’m not burned out on Marvel films in particular because to me many of them transcend being “Just a superhero movie.”

To me they work because they’re often genre films that just happen to have superheroes in them.

Guardians was a space opera. Ant-Man was a heist film. Winter Soldier is an espionage film. Just to name a few.

That said, I do not have a desire to watch BAD superhero movies, which is why I’ve largely avoided most of the DC films in the theater, and even on HBO/whatever I find them difficult to watch.

I guess to me, if a movie is good, I don’t really care who the actors or characters are, I’ll still watch it.

I will admit that I'm burning out on Marvel movies. At the beginning, I really cared about them. I'd watch the trailers over and over. I'd pre-order the Blurays. I'd watch them dozens of times. Today... who cares? Oh look, yet another Marvel superhero movie. *yawn* There are plenty I still haven't seen and really don't care. But I generally feel that way about most movies. Nothing is all that exciting anymore. There are just too many movies out there.

No, you're not.

Thread 1 (April 2012)
Thread 2 (September 2012)

The first time someone started a thread on this topic was when the first Avengers was released in 2012.

It's fitting that now 7 years later with the release of Avengers: Endgame we have a similar thread. These threads are nice bookends to the 'I am sick of superheroes in media' conversation.

I look forward to a similar thread in another 8 to 10 years when we get Secret Wars which will likely be the next mega crossover (Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four) creating a similar global buzz and enthusiasm among fans while being balanced out by others who will loathe, scoff, or probably just be indifferent to it by then.

With the exception of seeing Captain Marvel (not that I'm all that interested in this one but I've seen all the Marvel films) and Endgame the only other superhero movie I'm looking forward to is Joker.

After those I'd be happy to take a long break from these types of films.

I'm not being specific as this is mostly a general statement.

Stop. It's just too much. I know films are made to entertain and make money. But good lord, cut us some slack! Personally, I can't get away from it...and I grew up on superhero genre! Every time I turn around it a new TV show. The movies are saturated with them! Sometimes they run along each other because they're stacking up! Entertainment news is half related to the hero genre. Because of this, I've lost my enthusiasm for anything else comic book related.

In a word. No.

Everything comes around in cycles.
What about all of the cop shows, the multiple CSI series, all of the medical dramas, soap operas, terrible reality series, daytime "psychic" mediums, talk shows.
If you don't enjoy a particular genre, the simple solution would be, don't watch it, read a book instead maybe.

What series do you enjoy?

No, you're not.

Thread 1 (April 2012)
Thread 2 (September 2012)

The first time someone started a thread on this topic was when the first Avengers was released in 2012.

It's fitting that now 7 years later with the release of Avengers: Endgame we have a similar thread. These threads are nice bookends to the 'I am sick of superheroes in media' conversation.

I look forward to a similar thread in another 8 to 10 years when we get Secret Wars which will likely be the next mega crossover (Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four) creating a similar global buzz and enthusiasm among fans while being balanced out by others who will loathe, scoff, or probably just be indifferent to it by then.

I would have said yes. But then you had to mention Secret Wars which was like the zenith of my comic experience and I have to wonder what they are going to do with it. . .

With the exception of seeing Captain Marvel (not that I'm all that interested in this one but I've seen all the Marvel films) and Endgame the only other superhero movie I'm looking forward to is Joker.

After those I'd be happy to take a long break from these types of films.
I gotta admit. I'm interested in The Joker because it looks to be anything BUT another droll comic book origin film. In fact, if the trailer is anything to go by, it will be a condemning tale of our modern society and its treatment of people with mental illness.

Nope. Not yet ..., though I’ll admit-some of the t.v. shows which started off so promisingly - coulda/shoulda been ...., better executed .

I find myself dropping an ever-increasing number of superhero shows. We dropped the whole of the Arrowverse shows last fall and we just kicked Cloak and Dagger. All of them are being made for a teenage audience and are not really superhero shows.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back