Any tips for painting on top of pu leather

Fastestfanalive

Hey all,

I just received my new suit in the mail and they forgot to paint in the details on my jacket. The jacket in question is made of pu leather.

I did some google searches and came up with conflicting information at how to go about painting it myself.

Someone recommended this product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9OJ6YA/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

However Im not sure if it will bond to the pu properly.

Any tips, suggestions and product recommendations would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

I used Angelus paints on my Dude bowling shoes and it worked great. No cracking at all. But they are real leather. Maybe get another piece of the pu leather and do some testing with both nu-life and the angelus? Just an idea.
GutterballsShoes01.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've already ordered and received the Angelus paints so I'm going with those. Did you guys do any prepping before painting? Several sources say to use acetone or nail polish remover to remove the glossy layer before painting. Does this make sense?

Thanks for the replies. I've already ordered and received the Angelus paints so I'm going with those. Did you guys do any prepping before painting? Several sources say to use acetone or nail polish remover to remove the glossy layer before painting. Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense. It removes any protective layer or chemicals used to treat the PU, allowing the paint to adhere better.

I love the Angelus leather paint. It looks great! Be sure to check out the application video on YouTube. It has some great tips on there

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back