Any danger in molding unbaked sculpey?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TylerHam, May 18, 2012.

1. TylerHam

TylerHam Well-Known Member

Hi All -

Im doing a project in Sculpey, and I am making two "halves" to fit together later - -

I wanted to (for safety sake) make a silicone (I have smooth-on oomoo 30) mold of the half I have and cast it in resin, so I can sculpt the mirrored side "onto" that, and not risk damaging the sculpt I already have (I hate to be vague but this is a freelance job for a licensed product and I cant say what it is yet)

I dont want to risk hurting the original, but I dont want to bake it in case there are revisions. It would be a basic one-part mold, as the bottom is totally flat and it doesnt have undercuts, etc....

Any help would make my day! Thanks RPF crew :)
    Tyler

2. TylerHam

PS - DOnt know if it matters but its Sculpey firm blended with a bit of original (white) sculpey

3. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

If you're liberal with a mold release, you might not have too much trouble, but cleaning that off your original part to make changes might be a challenge.

I'd highly recommend doing a test pour on a piece of raw sculpey before going anywhere near the master. That's about the only way to be absolutely certain you won't just make a mess, AND lose the original sculpt.

4. TylerHam

hmm - But then wont I be back at the problem of not being able to resculpt later? Or will the acrylic just kind of breakdown?

5. fevereon

fevereon Active Member

Have you considered baking the part that's already done, then constinue sculpting from there? You can rebake sculpey multiple times.

this thing was done in that fashion, laying down and hatching the first layer, baking it, then adding and baking the subsequent layers til done.

as for molding unbaked sculpey, I've done it before using moldmax series. It didn't inhibit the cure, but the sculpy became pretty flakey, as though the plasticizers were leeched out of it.

6. TylerHam

I may just go with that - I was worried about sculpey shrinking with heat but it sounds like it doesnt do that ( I thought it did ) I guess I can always dremel areas out and resculpt too if needed

7. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So it sounds like you just want to make a casting of something, there are lots of threads on this site for that with tips and tricks, which are all REALLY GREAT.

However, go over to the smooth-on website and watch some of their videos, you will get a good idea of the process.

Specifically Oomoo is a tin cure silicone that wont cure in the presence of sulfer, latex, or platinum cure silicone and has a hard time curing under urethane rubber, i believe.

Sculpey should be sulfer free, but you might want to double check the labels. As for that, you should be able to mould it just fine.

Use a release spray, they are specifically formulated not to be harsh for the models or the clays and clean up easily enough.

A light spray of release should do the trick if you so need.

Some sculptors seal their model with acrylics to smooth imperfections and provide a barrier if they need it.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. Parus Major

Parus Major New Member

Sculpey goes to the point of being "too hard to need" when it's cold, you could stick in in the fridge. I'll admit, my experience with it is in 28mm miniatures.

9. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can carve baked sculpey, but it is harder (pardon the pun) than when it is raw. Also, is it possible to get approval for the first half from the client before you bake it?

Sent from my Apple Newton