Any Comparison Pics of TOS Star Trek Communicators?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SirJediKnightTim, May 9, 2012.

1. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a TOS communicator, just the cheap toy version, Diamond Select, Playmates etc. And Some have holes in the grill, some have plastic grills, some have metal (I want metal). Is there a comparison of these somewhere on the RPF?

2. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

Karl will beam in here soon with more pictures than you can shake a tribble at.

3. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

Without a doubt, the DST version is the best out-of-the-box toy I've ever bought. For what it's worth.

*edit* if you're looking for more metal, then gun for an early release of the DST TOS comm.

4. SirJediKnightTim

Which one has a metal grill that has holes?

5. Quinn

Quinn Active Member

I think the Entertainment Earth version had the metallic gold finish and the Toys R Us version had the darker, plasticy grille. I picked up the latter on clearance for an extra; it's definitely the lesser of the two versions.

6. SirJediKnightTim

Ok, I think I found the version that I have been looking for. Now to find a phaser :lol

I picked up the 1/350 scale Enterprise on Friday at a local model store, and completed it by Sunday morning (today). I still have to paint it though, I should be done by the end of the week. I didn't put lights in it only because projects that take me 10 months to do I tend to hate in the end :lol So just counting on an amazing paint job, instead of lights.

What do you guys use to display the communicators? Sometimes I see clear acrylic stands people have the set up on. Will need something for a phaser if I can locate one of those too.

7. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

i have a pistol phaser stand -- wooden base in shape on insignia with clear acrylic curved piece that holds phaser -- but it wasn't cheap...i think i paid $50 for the stand.

if you are interested, i'll post pictures.