any body got any......go fish

turboedbug

well I am planning on doing some fiberglassing here soon for a mold I plan on making. so I am wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks that work well for you. if you could toss them my way to help things go well when I actualy start this thing. thanks for any help

Here's a tip on fiberglassing: Wear a respirator, and do it outside your house if at all possible. That stuff seriously smells bad, and the fumes are probably toxic. I haven't read the MSDS on the resin lately, but there really can't be anything in it that's good for you.

Also, don't use old resin or catalyst. The last time I tried to use something that had been in storage for a while, it didn't cure -- it just gelled up and became a thick, goopy mess. It could have been too cold outside, as well.

I was reading an old Mold Making and Casting Handbook.

It had a whole page warning about the dangers of Fiberglass.

THe fumes are harmful to your lungs in a very bad way.

The hardener is a type of acid I believe, it explained if it splashes in your eyes it can do IRREVERSIBLE damage!

Anytime you see IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE. Take it seriously. Dont be scared, just be aware. It is a very easy product to work with. But you must Respect it.

When I use it I wear DOUBLE LATEX gloves, long sleeve shirts, and clothes I dont mind messing up. I wear eye googles and a proper respirator. I also do it out side. I have a slew of Mixing cups and an endless supply of Chip Brushs.

I prefer using the fiberglass MATTE as opposed to the CLOTH. The matt is nice because you can tear it up into fibers which you can wedge into alot of cracks and tight places.

The cloth, to me, is better used on SMOOTH surfaces. Like a Surf Board, or Boat hull.

Be very methodical using the stuff. It is dangerous, but produces GREAT results when you give it time and respect.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back