Anxiety After Watching Movies

Lissavi

I seem to struggle pretty badly either disassociation, which turns into panic when I watch a movie I get too involved in. Even watching too many episodes of a TV show or reading a book causes it. It's almost like a comedown. I guess because I get involved in the TV show or whatever that when I return to the 'real world' I feel really disconnected because I forgot about it for a while. I don't know how to explain it really but was wondering if anyone else has any issues like this?

I know that a few years ago I watched Requiem For a Dream and my head was seriously f-ed up for several days. It was my first and only viewing of that movie. Never ever will I watch that movie again.

I've shared in the past about my experience watching the director's cut of Doctor Sleep. I'm the primary caregiver for my only grandson, who's about to turn 3. The scene in that film where the baseball kid is tortured to death had me shook for weeks. The fact of knowing that although it was 'just a movie' didn't keep my mind from dwelling on the reality of what some innocent children have gone through in their last moments.

I honestly couldn't hug my grandson without almost breaking down for weeks afterward, & it was probably the most mentally unhealthy I've been in my life. Took a while for me to break that.

I've had the exact same experience after watching Requiem for a Dream. That movie is one I never wish to see again. I can get invested in a story to the extent that I feel a small sense of loss when it ends and I have to return to reality or I can be left with a lasting emotion good or bad that can linger for weeks. It's rare that I have an experience where I can just casually view certain shows and movies.

Part of it is the writer in me always analyzing things and the other is the emotion the story evokes from me. That's why film as a medium has had such a profound effect on me as a person. They are the ultimate artform because they combine so many mediums I love into one. Photography, writing, music, acting, etc.

The only time I recall experiencing this is the first season of 24. I remember having to really calm myself down after watching each episode. This is also the reason I never watched that Butterfly Effect movie because I heard there's a scene where someone kills a dog or does something to a dog.

With all that is going on now. In every part of our daily lives. It is over whelming to begin with, no matter what you are doing. It is complicated because we are all different, but in what matters the most it should not be complicated as you need to just focus on yourself in what you are watching along with the ones you love.
I have watched movies in the past just because that was what people I was hanging around with in the past were watching but I quickly realized if it was disturning me in any way or would later I would just excuse myself and go outside and sit for a while or grab something to eat till it was over. Glad I did that, but I think alot of times we watch movies or tv shows because they are presented as one thing some times and depict something really disturbing you were not expecting and totally not what you thought. I think it would be nice if they would let us all know before hand and sometimes they do if there will be disturbing images shown.

Just try to know yourself and what makes you feel good and what makes you feel bad or anxious and just say no to the bad feeling and search out the good. There is not much funny out there these days with out something very gross or disturbing or alor of cursing or the obnoxious need to put in graphic sex scenes. I know they made many many funny movies in the past without all the filth and it could still be done but unfortunatley they are not doing that anymore.

As mentioned though sometimes you just don't see that scene or whatever it is that upsets one coming. Funny sometimes as I was recently watching the Incredibles 2 and there was a scene where the Mom was battling the villain on top of a plane and keep trying over and over again to get on top of the plane and it made me feel like I was trying to get on top of the plane too...it was like a roller coaster ride...weird but I did not enjoy that at all, while the movie was ok.

Same thing with commercials....one minute you are watching a funny comedy movie or tv show and you are laughing and feeling good then immediately there is a commercial for something upsetting or very sad to bring you right back down.

We are all different, just a suggestion to be more aware or as aware as possible of what you are watching to find what makes you happy and lifts your spirits and avoid as best as possible watching what will or may upset one in any way......hope that helps....

Last edited:
You have to watch the bad to appreciate the good. To avoid stress, or other things that make you anxious or sad, or whatever, is, to my knowledge, not very good. Anything you'll tackle, whether a job, a relationship, a hobby, etc, always demands a certain "stress", work, effort.
Now, you'll have to distinguish between "healthy stress" and "negative stress". Not watching a certain movie, or listening to the news because it stresses you is a way to avoid, what you have decided for yourself, "negative stress". In the end, it's your personal choice not to do so.
And it's o.k... ;)

On a lighter note, when I am binge watching a really good show and getting towards the end I might get something slightly akin to anxiety for two reasons:
1. I don't want it to end
2. I have to start trying to figure out what my next show is going to be.

I remember a lot of folks after watching Avatar 3D having a mild depression afterwards. They wanted to live in that world.

On a lighter note, when I am binge watching a really good show and getting towards the end I might get something slightly akin to anxiety for two reasons:
1. I don't want it to end
2. I have to start trying to figure out what my next show is going to be.

I do that a lot with books or games. It's worse when it's one of my favorites. I replayed the Mass Effect games months ago and was bummed when I finished. I think it's a sign of something with really great writing and characters because it's like reuniting with old friends and no one wants to go home.

Both I Know This Much is True and Tell Me Your Secrets really messed with me...the first because parts of it were a bit too close to reality for me (good acting but really stressful), and the latter because there are really disturbing things that don’t seem like fiction.

and no joke, my better half watches the hallmark channel. All. The. Time. Too much of anything on TV gets to me.

Has anyone ever looked at what they put on the Lifetime channel? If women are really worried about stuff like they air, they're more messed up than we think! :lol: It's all "Babysitter Husband Stealer", "Babysitter Kidnapper", "Babysitter Serial Killer", "That One Hot Chick at the Grocery Store Who Might Steal My Husband", "That Attractive Girl Walking By My House That Might Steal My Husband", etc. Talk about anxiety!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back