ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Well, we know he wore the prototype at a con but I think he returned it. He has a video of himself sewing together a neck seal using the Anovos pics. as reference so he was at least without one of those.

If he took one home that would be news to me I guess.
Fair enough... He hasn't worn it since that I am aware...

Yup. It's about an eighteen-hour sprint. I usually set off late morning, so I'm going through Vancouver/Portland at "slack traffic", gas up the other side of Portland, push on down through Grant's Pass, gas up around Shasta, plow through Sacramento and the Central Valley at night because there's nothing to see there, avoid the Rest Area of the Damned, and be passing Six Flags as the sun's coming up. I've done it a few times.
You ever purchase anything from Vadermonkey? He's up there - best Vader helmets or armor available.

Assuming you pursue that character.
I haven't. I didn't realize he was here. Vader is... somewhere down the priority list. I'm having fun modding a Hasbro mask for the upper, scratch-building a symmetrical lower, looking for a good ANH dome, weighing my options for shoulder armor, had 3D printing files for most of the chest box and belt pieces, and have the good not quite-ForceFX lightsaber (also from Hasbro) that I'm upfinishing. I'll probably focus more once I'm past the couple dozen higher priority projects. *lol*

Side note: DN announced the release of a Rey costume.
No dates (that I could see), but, I guess it's another step forward.

The Rey Jakku costume wasn't on the list Denuo Novo sent. I guess there is a possibility for other items to be offered that aren't on the list.

I asked which helmets the Denuo Novo OT style X-Wing Pilot helmets will be based on. They said all the X-wings are based on the Rogue One molds. I'm not sure if there are differences between the original Rogue One mold, TFA mold, and OT molds but I suspect there probably are some. Unfortunately one of the things that had me interested in the Anovos Red Leader helmet was the listing said they scanned the actual helmet. It sounds like the Denuo Novo version will not be based on that scan.

Far Away Creations (MonCal's shop) made all the Rebel helmets and life-support boxes for Rogue One. His X-Wing stuff is some of the most accurate to the OT props you can get short of RS' pulled-from-original stuff. And you can imagine why Lucasfilm didn't want to go with them. I'm not sure the provenance of Rey's scavenged helmet in TFA or Luke's in TROS, though. I saw people saying the Rogue One helmets were undersized or the mohawk was too short or other such criticisms, and I was just baffled by that, as Cal's are nearly identical -- just cleaner. I tend to attribute it to everyone wearing ESB style parkas and being bigger than Mark Hamill, different lenses, etc.

Making all of the OT X-Wing pilot helmets from the same molds certainly makes sense from a manufacturing perspective. Maybe the Rogue One scan was in the best condition for them to use and required less cleanup. I wouldn't be surprised if the OT Red Leader helmet has more defects. Anovos produced helmets that were idealized in some ways. Denuo Novo may be continuing that. However, I am still disappointed that the Red Leader helmet won't be based on the actual Red Leader helmet if they had access to it.

Hopefully the painting and weathering will look right. For these helmets the quality of the painting and weathering is critical to how good or bad they look.

I think it’s been known or assumed for a while that all the x-wing helmets were going to be based on the rogue one props, as far as producing these it’s easier to just have one mold to do the different paint schemes I’m sure.

As for the shapes and sizes between the different films, yes I think the rogue one helmets are considered to be a different shape- I have the Rey anovos helmet and an RS, and they are not the same at all (anovos is significantly smaller*). And as for the TFA Rey helmet I thought I remember reading either here or Rebelscum that they may have repainted an EFX Luke/Wedge helmet, but don’t quote me on that.

*edit: the Anovos is smaller than the efx, not the RS. See below.

Last edited:
I think it’s been known or assumed for a while that all the x-wing helmets were going to be based on the rogue one props, as far as producing these it’s easier to just have one mold to do the different paint schemes I’m sure.

As for the shapes and sizes between the different films, yes I think the rogue one helmets are considered to be a different shape- I have the Rey anovos helmet and an RS, and they are not the same at all (anovos is significantly smaller). And as for the TFA Rey helmet I thought I remember reading either here or Rebelscum that they may have repainted an EFX Luke/Wedge helmet, but don’t quote me on that.
That’s interesting. The ANOVOS is smaller than the RS. I have the eFX ESB Luke X-Wing & a few RS X-Wings, & the RS is slightly smaller than the eFX.
I’m very happy I switched my ANOVOS Luke X-Wing for the Denuo Novo Royal Guard.

That’s interesting. The ANOVOS is smaller than the RS. I have the eFX ESB Luke X-Wing & a few RS X-Wings, & the RS is slightly smaller than the eFX.
The only Anovos OT style X-Wing pilot helmet wasn't based on the Rogue One mold unless Disney used that same mold for TFA and Rogue One. At this point we don't know how similar the Denuo Novo helmets will be compared to the Anovos.

I'm not sure we know how accurate the Anovos Rey helmet was compared to the actual helmet. The finishing was noticeably different, but I don't know about the shape and size.

Maybe Disney thought a smaller helmet would look better on Daisy.

These are photos of my Anovos Rey and RS Biggs helmets. The Anovos is a little shorter, a little wider, and has more crisp lines. The part at the front of the mohawk is obviously different.

Anovos_RS_X-Wing_1.jpg

Anovos_RS_X-Wing_2.jpg

Anovos_RS_X-Wing_3.jpg

Anovos_RS_X-Wing_4.jpg
Anovos_RS_X-Wing_5.jpg

Ok, some clarification/correction of what I said here: the Anovos is smaller than the *EFX*. ggriffaw’s images show the differences between the Anovos and RS (which we can assume is very close to OT size as it’s cast from those parts.)

I wasn’t looking at the helmets as I was away from home, but yes, what he’s showing in the photo comparisons is how mine look. So pretty much, disregard what I said or swap in “EFX” as being the larger one.

Ok, some clarification/correction of what I said here: the Anovos is smaller than the *EFX*. ggriffaw’s images show the differences between the Anovos and RS (which we can assume is very close to OT size as it’s cast from those parts.)

I wasn’t looking at the helmets as I was away from home, but yes, what he’s showing in the photo comparisons is how mine look. So pretty much, disregard what I said or swap in “EFX” as being the larger one.
The RS site says theirs is created from TIE Pilot shells and additional molding and reference from a Vietnam era APH-6 Helicopter helmet. It looks like the TIE Pilot shells may be trimmed a little differently, so that may be why they also used the APH-6 helmet.

It will be interesting to see how the Denuo Novo helmets compare.

I didn't realize the RS helmets were reverse-engineered from a TIE pilot helmet. Here's an original for proportion comparison:

yw08.jpg

xywings01.jpg

(Thanks, Jez.)

The RS looks a little pinched. Also for comparison, here are some of the ones FAC made for Rogue One:

241205600_10160007255230798_7669306360633797052_n.jpg

250668155_5078301912185120_1978797089116869284_n.jpg

It looks to me like Anovos' base helmet is a good match in proportion and detail, so probably scanned from one of the Rogue One helmets. Which, since FAC made them, I would personally save a step and just get it from Cal. *lol*

Denuo Novo has added the Inferno TIE Pilot helmet to the site.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back