ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

I wanted to share my recent situation with Anovos, and how it was resolved.

My wife really wanted the Rey Jakku costume, and against my better judgement ( I’ve been around here long enough to know better) I bought it during their “In-Stock” Halloween sale. I fully expected not to receive anything for months, but thought I’d give it a shot.

To my surprise, I got a shipping notice in under a week. The package arrived on October 30th, in a plain brown box, with no “Star Wars” packaging at all. There was an invoice, and the costume pieces folded, and sealed in clear plastic.

My wife tried everything on, and we quickly realized something was wrong with the main tabard portion of the costume. After messing with it for over an hour, we realized that it was sewn incorrectly. There was no way it would fit properly. I won’t go into all the details in this post, but there was no way around it. The piece was incorrect, and unusable.

I quickly emailed them so I met their 48 hour notice requirement. To my surprise, I got a response from Charlie the next day. At first, he said we probably weren’t attaching it properly (it is a confusing garment) but I assured him that we knew what we were doing. After sending him a video of the issue, he told me that he would get in touch with his soft goods designer to see what they can do for me.

His last email was three days after I initially contacted him. I made it a point to email him almost once every week. I was polite, and tried to be as patient as I could be. All I asked him for was an update, and told him I was fine if he responded with no new information. After exactly a month with no response, I told him I had enough. I let him know that I began looking into options with my state Attorneys General. And expected a corrected garment, or a refund for at least part of my purchase.

After nearly a month from that email, Charlie finally contacted me. He told me that he had been sick, and had been trying to catch up on emails. I imagine he had an incredibly full inbox if that were the case. He told me that he would be sending out a replacement, and provided me with a return label for the defective item. I was reluctant to send anything back until I had the replacement, and told him that. He said it was fine, and told me I could wait until I inspected the replacement. To my surprise I got a tracking number, and the package showed up a few days later.

I never expected to get the replacement. Especially after hearing all of the horrible situations many of you are in. I do have to admit that Charlie came through, even if it took two months. I cannot say for certain that telling him I was taking measures with my AG did anything. He genuinely may have been ill. I just have no way of knowing.

Overall, I’m glad that Charlie eventually came through. However, I think I am done rolling the dice with Anovos. I hope all of you get the items, or refunds you’ve requested. Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to share my experience.

Last edited:
So glad I hesitated on ordering a helmet from them a few years ago. The fact that they constantly had much of their inventory on pre order or out of stock was a red flag.

So glad I hesitated on ordering a helmet from them a few years ago. The fact that they constantly had much of their inventory on pre order or out of stock was a red flag.
Having preorders for items is not unusual. Many companies that sell collectibles do that.

Not having most of the items regularly in stock isn't unusual either.

What other prop replica companies normally do those two things?

Both Anovos and efx were better at delivering preorder items in the past. For some reason both of them started having major issues several years ago.

For folks who are having issues getting a refund, I would encourage you to contact your credit card companies.

While there is typically a limited window in which you can request your credit card company refund a purchase, most will make an exception if you can provide evidence of:
  1. When the original order was supposed to be completed
  2. How long you’ve actually been waiting
  3. That you‘ve requested a refund from the vendor
  4. The vendor has refused or failed to provide the refund
Sean

Having preorders for items is not unusual. Many companies that sell collectibles do that.

Not having most of the items regularly in stock isn't unusual either.

What other prop replica companies normally do those two things?

Both Anovos and efx were better at delivering preorder items in the past. For some reason both of them started having major issues several years ago.
Griffaw - you are right. I have preordered from Hollywood Collectibles Group, Sideshow Collectibles, Entertainment Earth and was happy with the experience from each - from answers to my emails, to shipping and delivery of product, and will order from them again.

Anovos however based on their lack of replies, lack of delivery, and lack of regard for customers over years, is not like (or in the class of) HCG, Sideshow, or EE.

I wanted to share my recent situation with Anovos, and how it was resolved.

My wife really wanted the Rey Jakku costume, and against my better judgement ( I’ve been around here long enough to know better) I bought it during their “In-Stock” Halloween sale. I fully expected not to receive anything for months, but thought I’d give it a shot.

I never expected to get the replacement. Especially after hearing all of the horrible situations many of you are in. I do have to admit that Charlie came through, even if it took two months. I cannot say for certain that telling him I was taking measures with my AG did anything. He genuinely may have been ill. I just have no way of knowing.

Overall, I’m glad that Charlie eventually came through. However, I think I am done rolling the dice with Anovos. I hope all of you get the items, or refunds you’ve requested. Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to share my experience.
I liked hearing a happy story for once.

I actually do wish they could get their stuff together. I have a few Anovos pieces I bought years ago (only ever bought In stock so luckily I never had to endure the pre order nightmare). I bought their Han Solo belt, Star Trek TNG shirt, DS9 shirt set, ST rank insignia, and two ST communicator pins. All arrived quickly and very nice quality. Many times I've looked at their pre order list and thought how awesome it would be if they could actually deliver that stuff like they did mine.

I gotta think it will be a very tough hole for this company to climb out of though.

Griffaw - you are right. I have preordered from Hollywood Collectibles Group, Sideshow Collectibles, Entertainment Earth and was happy with the experience from each - from answers to my emails, to shipping and delivery of product, and will order from them again.

Anovos however based on their lack of replies, lack of delivery, and lack of regard for customers over years, is not like (or in the class of) HCG, Sideshow, or EE.

I totally agree with the concerns about the extremely poor track record from Anovos over several years. I was just pointing out that preorders shouldn't be a reason to stay away from a company. However, there are plenty of valid reasons to stay away from Anovos.

I don't understand how they think the Star Trek and Ghostbusters lines can continue with how they appear to have totally abandoned the Star Wars line with many undelivered products.

At this point I don't recommend ordering anything from Anovos regardless of which franchise it is for. They have way too many issues with customer service and fulfilling orders.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the concerns about the extremely poor track record from Anovos over several years. I was just pointing out that preorders shouldn't be a reason to stay away from a company. However, there are plenty of valid reasons to stay away from Anovos.

I don't understand how they think the Star Trek and Ghostbusters lines can continue with how they appear to have totally abandoned the Star Wars line with many undelivered products.

At this point I don't recommend ordering anything from Anovos regardless of which franchise it is for. They have way too many issues with customer service and fulfilling orders.
If I could send 10 likes to your post I would. absolutely agree.

Has anyone received or heard of someone receiving the 2020 version of the Anovos Shoretrooper helmet? Below is part of the last reply I received from Anovos. This was on December 8th, 2020. I paid for mine of September 18th, 2020.

The Shoretrooper, Royal Guard and Mandalorian helmets are made, and we are delivering them as quickly as recurring outbreaks of Covid-19 will allow us to. As with other small businesses, it is presenting itself as a challenge for us, and we are doing the best we can. We can only hope that you will continue to be patient with us as we work to fulfill our commitments to you.

At the time I thought it was odd. If it wasn't, good to know.

Last edited:
Somebody on Facebook received the revised V2 Shoretrooper. They ordered directly from Anovos.

Anovos completely redid the weathering on this batch. Just one caveat: they didn't add the red emblem on the blast shield. Talk about quality control.

Screenshot_20210108-163833.jpg

Somebody on Facebook received the revised V2 Shoretrooper. They ordered directly from Anovos.

Anovos completely redid the weathering on this batch. Just one caveat: they didn't add the red emblem on the blast shield. Talk about quality control.

View attachment 1409955
Hmm.
A missing emblem seems like a stretch, even for Anovos.
You sure this is legit?

View attachment 1409955
Did the poster say it is the 2020 Anovos version? Some people have repainted the original Anovos version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back