ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

I often come back to this:
1567674750119.png

Seems like Anovos is paying for the mistakes they've made, and will continue to do so for a long time even if they sort things out.

Their customers are paying for them too.

If they had been somewhat open about what was going on, then I could have a wee bit of sympathy. The fact that they just continued to misrepresent when items were going to ship while taking more and more preorders on new merchandise is unforgivable.

Last edited:
That and the “ no refund” policy tell us all we need to know

If they had been somewhat open about what was going on, then I could have a wee bit of sympathy. The fact that they just continued to misrepresent when items were going to ship while taking more and more preorders on new merchandise is unforgivable.

If they'd been open about it, there's too much chance there'd be a decent number of people who knew them from previous work who asked "wait -- don't you make all your stuff in the US?" and they'd have to justify the move to China. That's why I went with the Chinese-factory investigation first -- better chance of finding something. I don't know enough about what was going on internally to ANOVOS. The Snowtrooper stuff tubachris85x mentioned on the previous page is just another in a bunch of contracted builders they had been working with and pulled out to move manufacturing to China.

It seems out of character enough for them, given their prior work, that I wonder if it was a double blind-spot -- the license was demanding more money than they originally realized or something, and the armor was a new area for them and front-end development and production was more than the cloth costumes they were used to. Or something like that. I'm pretty sure it wasn't purely profit-motivated. Wouldn't be shocked if the bill for the license showed up while they were already worried over the mounting costs for prototyping the first batch of armor and helmet offerings and someone panicked and said "we can't keep doing this domestically". And then, later, they'd have to admit they made a mistake, and I've run in to a few too many humans who would rather die than admit they were wrong.

But all of that is informed speculation, at most. A few people who have told me things, a delve through the timeline, that sort of thing... As I said, I'm not giving them a pass. Just applying my research and investigative skills to seeing if I can sort out what got us to this point. I wanted to post that I was finding some of their excuses plausible, and the breakdown then comes when they'd have to follow up with "...because we were dumbasses and didn't do due diligence". I know human fallibility, from close range. I can easily imagine them paying for the re-d from one factory, then having another try to extort them for their cargo container, and they wanted to take care of it themselves, quietly, without letting customers or Lucasfilm know, and it snowballed and now might end up costing them the farm.

I'm really curious how much may come out in the lawsuit. I don't know how much will be behind a gag order on the parties involved as part of some settlement, but I feel even those of us not involved in the lawsuit deserve to know who screwed up where.

We 100% deserve to know what went on, regardless of however damaging that information is to Joe, Dana, Disney, LFL, etc.

I do not believe in their right to recovery of any reputation.

Would LOVE to see Disney pull all relations and manufacturing away from any factories associated with any of this. That might make a dent in any extortion or other shenanigans too.

Happy "safety testing!"

EKSELLENT!!!!! I love so much that their motion to dismiss was not granted outright!!!!

Can't wait for Sep. 16. Maybe it will go more than a day. Maybe not.

But I'm sure that stupid defendants had to cough up all sorts of information to defend their position - which is indefensible.

The letter states that the suit currently only represents US residents, when from the start it was touted as something anyone with outstanding orders with Anovos could join and benefit from. Does that mean a lot of people outside the US perhaps sent in their claims and information, which will be of aid to the suit, but will not reap them any rewards if the suit succeeds? (I'm not currently a US resident since my family moved to Europe when I was in my teens, and I didn't join the suit because the firm never replied to my e-mail or questions.)

To be clear, I'm not faulting or criticizing anyone from joining the suit or taking whatever actions they need to protect their investments- just noting that apparent change of conditions .

The letter states that the suit currently only represents US residents, when from the start it was touted as something anyone with outstanding orders with Anovos could join and benefit from. Does that mean a lot of people outside the US perhaps sent in their claims and information, which will be of aid to the suit, but will not reap them any rewards if the suit succeeds? (I'm not currently a US resident since my family moved to Europe when I was in my teens, and I didn't join the suit because the firm never replied to my e-mail or questions.)

To be clear, I'm not faulting or criticizing anyone from joining the suit or taking whatever actions they need to protect their investments- just noting that apparent change of conditions .

Well, a few things may be the case:
1) the case was limited to US by the judge
2) EU law is different than US law and the attorney's could not get EU okay
3) other legal restrictions?

Also remember that at some point Anovos stopped international sales on a lot of their items... that may have impacted the scope.

Not a lawyer so i dont know all the ends and outs... sorry you had issues getting in the suit. I also had some email issues but that seemed to get sorted after a couple emails.

Maybe the judgement will extend to international orders as applicable based on the ruling... plus the email says they're not adding anyone at this time, but may add plaintiffs depending on how the arguments go.

Well, a few things may be the case:
Could very well be- I haven't really been following it closely, though I'd be surprised if such a limitation were placed.

Also remember that at some point Anovos stopped international sales on a lot of their items... that may have impacted the scope.
True, but most of their items are still available in most territories. (In some cases they seem to do a US pr-order first, then a second for intl.)

Not a lawyer so i dont know all the ends and outs... sorry you had issues getting in the suit. I also had some email issues but that seemed to get sorted after a couple emails.
I was undecided at the time anyway, the non-response pretty much helped me decide. But if I had joined, I'd feel pretty misled at the moment. I still want the items more than a refund (which I could probably get if the generous "scam guarantees" of my CC company prove true). Anovos are showing some signs of improvement and at this point, I'm hoping the suit doesn't hurt their chances of setting things right. (No doubt they would blame the suit either way if things went to hell after this...)

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the fall schedule and shipping several soft goods, like the jackets.

Could very well be- I haven't really been following it closely, though I'd be surprised if such a limitation were placed.

True, but most of their items are still available in most territories. (In some cases they seem to do a US pr-order first, then a second for intl.)

I was undecided at the time anyway, the non-response pretty much helped me decide. But if I had joined, I'd feel pretty misled at the moment. I still want the items more than a refund (which I could probably get if the generous "scam guarantees" of my CC company prove true). Anovos are showing some signs of improvement and at this point, I'm hoping the suit doesn't hurt their chances of setting things right. (No doubt they would blame the suit either way if things went to hell after this...)

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the fall schedule and shipping several soft goods, like the jackets.

Good, points. Full disclosure, i have signed onto the lawsuit. That said, i am still routing for Anovos to turn it around. Overall the quality has been very good, they just need to really really improve on delivery of product and CMO management. Also CS has really been subpar.

I had to go the lawsuit route as I am way past my bank and CC fraud timeframe.

A great resolution, in my mind (where it will probably stay), is this:

1. Judge shuts down Anovos and keeps it from taking any more orders.
2. Judge mandates that Disney and any/ all copyright holders make whole all customers at any and all expense, including the fulfillment of all outstanding orders. Immediately.
3. Judge mandates that Disney keep communication open with customers for additional year to accommodate for problems, repairs, and replacement items as needed.

In short, Disney takes over at their expense and makes everyone happy.

Would love that.

A great resolution, in my mind (where it will probably stay), is this:

1. Judge shuts down Anovos and keeps it from taking any more orders.
2. Judge mandates that Disney and any/ all copyright holders make whole all customers at any and all expense, including the fulfillment of all outstanding orders. Immediately.
3. Judge mandates that Disney keep communication open with customers for additional year to accommodate for problems, repairs, and replacement items as needed.

In short, Disney takes over at their expense and makes everyone happy.

Would love that.
I wouldn't. Disney, CBS/Viacom, etc., themselves have no mass-manufacturing facilities, and any fabrication of replacement items would have to go through one of their license-holders, who would then have to crash-course themselves on the items and how to make them. Far more cost-and-time-efficient to dump that money into ANOVOS and put in court-appointed minders to get their business side flogged into shape.

As far as "make whole", yeah I could use the money, but I'd much rather have the items I ordered. I ordered them from ANOVOS because I've wanted some of them for literal decades and no one else makes them (or, at least, not to ANOVOS' previous standards). If ANOVOS gets shut down and can never deliver on these items, there is nowhere else I can get them. Absent getting a license from CBS/Viacom myself, handling the originals, reverse-engineering them, sourcing fabrics and materials, drafting patterns, and making it on my own. Which I don't have time for.

I wouldn't. Disney, CBS/Viacom, etc., themselves have no mass-manufacturing facilities, and any fabrication of replacement items would have to go through one of their license-holders, who would then have to crash-course themselves on the items and how to make them. Far more cost-and-time-efficient to dump that money into ANOVOS and put in court-appointed minders to get their business side flogged into shape.

As far as "make whole", yeah I could use the money, but I'd much rather have the items I ordered. I ordered them from ANOVOS because I've wanted some of them for literal decades and no one else makes them (or, at least, not to ANOVOS' previous standards). If ANOVOS gets shut down and can never deliver on these items, there is nowhere else I can get them. Absent getting a license from CBS/Viacom myself, handling the originals, reverse-engineering them, sourcing fabrics and materials, drafting patterns, and making it on my own. Which I don't have time for.

Nice!!! In my opinion you just stated the same results, no?! Just probably more like how it would happen. I love it - imagine saying, "court appointed minders" the same way Homer Simpson says "dooohnuts..." I'm actually doing right now as I write.

And by "make whole" I mean both costumes and/ or money. If you want costume, you get costume. If you want money, you get money. That simple.

I want costume too - even though the kids with whom I was going to do anything could now care less of course - after 4 Halloweens, Anogos.

Brent seems really keen for me to buy something...

Hello there --

I noticed you didn't reply to my last email, so I'm forwarding it to you again. Let me know if you're still interested in this offer.

Kind Regards,
Brent B.

Hey — Brent from ANOVOS here.

It looks like you expressed interest in the from our catalog and signed up for our mailing list. Although this item is unavailable on our website, I wanted to offer you another opportunity to own one of these. This replica is priced at $ USD, and you have been chosen to fill one of our coveted reservation slots! This reservation is anticipated for a fulfillment date, and only a few are remaining unclaimed.

-- Psst! Need a update on your current orders? Check out our 2019 Q2 Brand Update Blog for for more information regarding anticipated fulfillment schedules. --

If you would like to take advantage of this special opportunity to add one to your collection, simply let me know in reply to this message and I'll be happy to assist you with your order!

Make sure you confirm that your ANOVOS account is up to date on our website with your full name and current delivery address.

Don't have an account? You can create one here!

You can also take advantage of our payment plans where we're offering 30% down and your choice of either three or six monthly payments. When you reply, let me know if you would like a monthly plan or if you prefer a single lump payment.

Due to its immense popularity, I can only make this offer available to each interested customer for a limited time, so please do act quickly! Simply reply to this email and I will get you started.

(*Just a reminder, Payment plans are for orders of $300 or more, and incur a fee of 5% for credit card processing.)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,
Brent B.
ANOVOS®

why did I get this?

unsubscribe from this list

update subscription preferences

ANOVOS Productions LLC ·
1197 East Los Angeles Ave.
· Suite C301 ·
Simi Valley, CA 93065
· USA

Last edited:
We were invited to purchase nothing, at no cost. Seems like a win to me - although Anovos confirmed the email was sent in error yesterday, so its not real...

1568227723782.png

Last edited:
Anyone else find it odd that their corporate mailing address is a UPS Store in a strip mall?
Boiler room scam?
Nothing surprises me anymore. could've been a phishing campaign for all I know once I saw the subject line and weird content. But good catch if that was in the email, I ignored the rest after the first paragraph.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back