ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Not the best pics but you get the idea. Fully-lined and no more hard hat rig like on the TFA version.

View attachment 1053935View attachment 1053934View attachment 1053933View attachment 1053932View attachment 1053931

Congrats! This is my favorite version of this helmet due to the frown looking a little more angular or "meaner" than the TFA version.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Did it have any extra inserts to help with fitting?

This is a helmet Id think about getting in the future ....

Again, Congrats on finally getting it. Looks fantastic!!

Lets all hope this starts a turn around for Anovos.

Can you believe this thread is over 5 years old now and we are still waiting on Anovos?
That right there should tell you what kind of company this is that still can't seem to get it together.

I see that BBTS is now out of stock and the preorder price is up to $349 :(

Congrats! This is my favorite version of this helmet due to the frown looking a little more angular or "meaner" than the TFA version.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Did it have any extra inserts to help with fitting?

This is a helmet Id think about getting in the future ....

Again, Congrats on finally getting it. Looks fantastic!!

Lets all hope this starts a turn around for Anovos.

Thanks! I like this version a lot better because of the frown and teeth. The helmet did come with the helmet insert/pads to fit it but I haven’t tried them. They look not to be much different than any of the military helmet pads that can be bought

What a great deal, and amazing news for the Star Wars community!

Dana and Jose truely deserve this more than anyone else, they have been part of this and other accuracy related communities for years and their personal work and the existing ANOVOS product lines speak for itself!

I wish them all the best and may the force be with them.... :lol

Well, it has finally come to speak for itself.

Okay, a very minor development from Anovos. An email from today.
And THANK YOU, Stanley of Anovos, for speaking openly and plainly...

Thank you for reaching out! To be transparent, we sacked our customer service staff due to performance issues and our small team was brought in to process the large backlog of communications. We are working towards having all inquiries addressed in a timely manner.

I do know that the Kylo Ensemble was delayed do to an issue at our factory with the waxed fabric. The factory did not manufacture it correctly and had to scrap the whole order. I do not have any further production updates for the ensemble at this time, as the factory is manufacturing new fabric for the ruined order.

I’d like to apologize for this unforeseen delay and thank you for your patience and many thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Stanley
ANOVOS® Marketing Operator

That said, how long does it take to wax cloth arms - been done for centuries??!!!
I would hope their "coating" issues relate to main body more.

Okay, a very minor development from Anovos. An email from today.
And THANK YOU, Stanley of Anovos, for speaking openly and plainly...

Thank you for reaching out! To be transparent, we sacked our customer service staff due to performance issues and our small team was brought in to process the large backlog of communications. We are working towards having all inquiries addressed in a timely manner.

I do know that the Kylo Ensemble was delayed do to an issue at our factory with the waxed fabric. The factory did not manufacture it correctly and had to scrap the whole order. I do not have any further production updates for the ensemble at this time, as the factory is manufacturing new fabric for the ruined order.

I’d like to apologize for this unforeseen delay and thank you for your patience and many thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Stanley
ANOVOS® Marketing Operator

That said, how long does it take to wax cloth arms - been done for centuries??!!!
I would hope their "coating" issues relate to main body more.

Sounds like their new customer service staff need to read their own Update Blog.
It was the fabric coating that was ruined and not the sleeve wax.

Sounds like their new customer service staff need to read their own Update Blog.
It was the fabric coating that was ruined and not the sleeve wax.

Right. I think that's what he meant. Stanley, by his own admission, is there to go through all the communications and was typing quickly. I will give him benefit of doubt.

But that Update Blog is so long ago now. Could they truly be in the stage still where they are still only making the cloth?!!!

We may never get these costumes - HUGE chance of that - but they don't get that they absolutely have to post more frequent updates without all the stupid polish and spin that takes them forever to figure out. Example: "Hi. We finished all the tunics for this outfit. They're great. On to the sleeves." So easy.

By the way - when that one factory botched everything we were told, to account for the seeming added delay, that costumes were going through "safety testing." I love how that has been exposed as a lie.

Anyway, May delivery at soonest, if ever. We lose. Big time.

darthjones, you have a point. Totally forgot about 'safety testing'. Making a flamethrower? check. A rocket for passengers to the ISS and beyond? check again. A hat? Unless its got a self-adjusting mechanism that can close to the point you have a red line across your forehead, thats no reason to take forever to get to packaging and shipping...

If folks were leaning on every word I wrote, and attacking for any inconsistency, I'd be hesitant to reply to messages or post updates too. Not saying Anovos haven't been awful at communicating at times, because they certainly have been and beyond, but we have to chill, if even just a little.

And as for "safety testing". You know when products contain those "ISO 9600 certified" prints? Well, that's because they fulfill requirements set by safety standards in trade practices and they are different for different regions. The bodies that miantain them are most likely often beuracratic sinkholes that will complain if your stitching is too loose or something. And certainly no laughing matter unless you want to get sued to oblivion when your garment, toy or whatever catches fire, injures someone or makes some Darwin-award-worthy person choke because they ate the thread. (It's the reason why a couple of Mattycollector's Ghostbusters toy-props were only sold in the USA a while back- they didn't pass the certifications in Europe.)

If folks were leaning on every word I wrote, and attacking for any inconsistency, I'd be hesitant to reply to messages or post updates too. Not saying Anovos haven't been awful at communicating at times, because they certainly have been and beyond, but we have to chill, if even just a little.

And as for "safety testing". You know when products contain those "ISO 9600 certified" prints? Well, that's because they fulfill requirements set by safety standards in trade practices and they are different for different regions. The bodies that miantain them are most likely often beuracratic sinkholes that will complain if your stitching is too loose or something. And certainly no laughing matter unless you want to get sued to oblivion when your garment, toy or whatever catches fire, injures someone or makes some Darwin-award-worthy person choke because they ate the thread. (It's the reason why a couple of Mattycollector's Ghostbusters toy-props were only sold in the USA a while back- they didn't pass the certifications in Europe.)
I understand, if we didn't have some level of certification for garments or toys, we would still have chemistry sets like I had back in the day, which were mostly harmless until you spill a mixture on the living room wood floor that cant be removed, or the melted crayons you were making multicolor candles from caught fire on the stove before you could pour into into the molds you made, but again I digress..

It is taking quite a long time with no updates, but I have been patient, then letdown, and just not forgetting where we are either, because what they say, is as important as, what they do right now.

I am looking for the consistency we had in the past. You place a preorder, you get progress updates or a good explanation for the delay, and eventually you get what you paid for. Thats all I want, because the alternative is not fun for anyone involved, and thats not why I got back in line after getting BSG, Ghostbusters, Star Trek products from Anovos years ago.

Not so much a current update so much as ongoing detective work I've been doing. If it weren't so much more expensive, we really need to stop having China make our stuff -- at least on a small scale (a few hundred to a few thousand items).

I am not naming names because I don't know who associated with these entities might search for people talking about them so as to do rebuttal-smearing to try to save face (i.e., be able to keep snagging suckers -- er, I mean, clients). It takes a bit of digging, but within a few minutes you can start finding names of specific factories over there that stay in business mainly through people not getting the word out fast enough, or having the spreading of said word not expand out beyond those in the industry, etc. I stopped after confirming three that do small runs of product in the quantity ranges I mentioned above, but badly/shadily. Everything from repeatedly screwing up orders so they need to be remade -- and charging the clients for their own mistakes -- to deliberately using cheaper materials than quoted/ordered so as to pocket the difference, only to have the substandard materials fail QA -- see previous "screw up order, make client pay to re-do". They hold the dies/moulds hostage, so the clients can't take them to a different factory. They will complete an order and then demand more money to release it, or send the shipping container and then basically demand a ransom for the ability to open it -- and, often, cease contact after receiving it.

I stopped at three because the third one I ran across was used by someone I know peripherally. His company has since ceased doing business with them, and has been doing a lot of internal damage-control to try to acquire the items from elsewhere and absorb the costs without shutting down. And I stopped with his account because it was a factory his company went with based on the fact that both eFX and ANOVOS used them before everyone caught on that it was one of the damn Chinese pirate factories (what I call them). Not holding onto ANOVOS' orders until they get paid, but holding onto them in an attempt to extort more out of ANOVOS. Factory's got their dies and their product. But paying is no guarantee you'll get your stuff.

The stupid thing is that there's nothing that can be done under International Law. China doesn't recognize foreign copyrights, so the government doesn't do anything to quash these practices. And it's only started to become a thing over the last five to ten years as Chinese production of export goods cranked into high gear in some of the more outlying provinces. American companies looking for the best deals found them... and didn't question as diligently as they might should have why the costs were so low. I can't get too mad with eFX or ANOVOS for falling for it. The first few Nigerian Prince scams probably seemed plausible to many people who didn't stop and think for a second. My grandmother got taken in by a phone scammer claiming my aunt (he namedropped her) told him to call and get her account information for my aunt. Since my aunt has power of attorney and helped handle their finances, she went with it. My granddad and aunt found out quickly enough and shut it all down, and my poor grandmother couldn't figure out why they were so mad. "But he said [aunt] told him to call us." I don't know where the line is between innocent and gullible, but those companies were somewhere near it. Should they have known better? Maybe. Was there any way at the time to know better? I don't know. Have they learned from this experience? I have no idea -- they stopped talking about internal company matters, for the most part.

So could stuff ordered from one or another of their Chinese factories keep getting screwed up? I could see it easily. If the order was placed a while ago, the factory just got to it (because small order = low priority for them), and ANOVOS was waiting for the samples to arrive before they could do anything else (either verify the full order, order a re-do, or cancel, shift the order to a US factory, and try to find some way to cover the $$$ that would incur...), I can see why the updates would be "we anticipate", "projected", and so forth. I think they're learning that going the Chinese route is penny wise and pound foolish. The quotes are less than from American manufacturers... but the amount of bad product, re-do's, factory bait-and-switch, ransom/extortion, and other unanticipated costs would make that eventually costlier (in more than a financial sense, if you factor in the hit their reputation has taken) than if they'd just stuck with American-made.

None of this is giving them a pass on not having gotten me my stuff yet, or the fact that I ordered a TFA FOTK and will be receiving a TLJ. It is simply the result of my wanting to try to figure out what the hell happened. It is not a complete picture, but I have enough information to know at least some of what they've been dealing with.

I really hope we are not going to start feeling sorry for Anovos and how badly they have been treated by the big bad Chinese. No matter how bad things got over there Anovos has still been ignoring customers or outright lying about things for the past 3 years. Thank god I never pre-ordered directly from them.

Not so much a current update so much as ongoing detective work I've been doing. If it weren't so much more expensive, we really need to stop having China make our stuff -- at least on a small scale (a few hundred to a few thousand items).

I am not naming names because I don't know who associated with these entities might search for people talking about them so as to do rebuttal-smearing to try to save face (i.e., be able to keep snagging suckers -- er, I mean, clients). It takes a bit of digging, but within a few minutes you can start finding names of specific factories over there that stay in business mainly through people not getting the word out fast enough, or having the spreading of said word not expand out beyond those in the industry, etc. I stopped after confirming three that do small runs of product in the quantity ranges I mentioned above, but badly/shadily. Everything from repeatedly screwing up orders so they need to be remade -- and charging the clients for their own mistakes -- to deliberately using cheaper materials than quoted/ordered so as to pocket the difference, only to have the substandard materials fail QA -- see previous "screw up order, make client pay to re-do". They hold the dies/moulds hostage, so the clients can't take them to a different factory. They will complete an order and then demand more money to release it, or send the shipping container and then basically demand a ransom for the ability to open it -- and, often, cease contact after receiving it.

I stopped at three because the third one I ran across was used by someone I know peripherally. His company has since ceased doing business with them, and has been doing a lot of internal damage-control to try to acquire the items from elsewhere and absorb the costs without shutting down. And I stopped with his account because it was a factory his company went with based on the fact that both eFX and ANOVOS used them before everyone caught on that it was one of the damn Chinese pirate factories (what I call them). Not holding onto ANOVOS' orders until they get paid, but holding onto them in an attempt to extort more out of ANOVOS. Factory's got their dies and their product. But paying is no guarantee you'll get your stuff.

The stupid thing is that there's nothing that can be done under International Law. China doesn't recognize foreign copyrights, so the government doesn't do anything to quash these practices. And it's only started to become a thing over the last five to ten years as Chinese production of export goods cranked into high gear in some of the more outlying provinces. American companies looking for the best deals found them... and didn't question as diligently as they might should have why the costs were so low. I can't get too mad with eFX or ANOVOS for falling for it. The first few Nigerian Prince scams probably seemed plausible to many people who didn't stop and think for a second. My grandmother got taken in by a phone scammer claiming my aunt (he namedropped her) told him to call and get her account information for my aunt. Since my aunt has power of attorney and helped handle their finances, she went with it. My granddad and aunt found out quickly enough and shut it all down, and my poor grandmother couldn't figure out why they were so mad. "But he said [aunt] told him to call us." I don't know where the line is between innocent and gullible, but those companies were somewhere near it. Should they have known better? Maybe. Was there any way at the time to know better? I don't know. Have they learned from this experience? I have no idea -- they stopped talking about internal company matters, for the most part.

So could stuff ordered from one or another of their Chinese factories keep getting screwed up? I could see it easily. If the order was placed a while ago, the factory just got to it (because small order = low priority for them), and ANOVOS was waiting for the samples to arrive before they could do anything else (either verify the full order, order a re-do, or cancel, shift the order to a US factory, and try to find some way to cover the $$$ that would incur...), I can see why the updates would be "we anticipate", "projected", and so forth. I think they're learning that going the Chinese route is penny wise and pound foolish. The quotes are less than from American manufacturers... but the amount of bad product, re-do's, factory bait-and-switch, ransom/extortion, and other unanticipated costs would make that eventually costlier (in more than a financial sense, if you factor in the hit their reputation has taken) than if they'd just stuck with American-made.

None of this is giving them a pass on not having gotten me my stuff yet, or the fact that I ordered a TFA FOTK and will be receiving a TLJ. It is simply the result of my wanting to try to figure out what the hell happened. It is not a complete picture, but I have enough information to know at least some of what they've been dealing with.

This part of current economic structure, in that these companies very likely turn to Chinese manufacturing, is unfortunately hardly going to go away. While current US policy is clearly trying to resist this, and to some extent, having some effect on certain industries, the larger picture is that it will take years, if not decades, to undue this kind of business practice. Read a very interesting book that discussed explicitly how and why China is where it is today w/ their business and economic practices, and it's really scary to be completely honest.

Scammers aside, ultimately the captain goes down with the ship. This is on them at the end of the day as they decided to go this route and use this factory to do their work for one of the biggest franchises to ever see the face of this earth. I can definitely sympathize with probably their shock and frustration for likely getting screwed over by a factory there, but as you said, how does a company in the US take action against one of literally thousands of factories out there, where it's a fact that laws are willfully violated frequently and even less so enforced by the government? You're flat out SOL unless the factory managers decide to work with you.

What is very interesting and relevant I can share, as this is purely anecdotal and 2nd hand, so take it with a grain of salt. As I was very closely keeping an eye out for anything related to their Snowtrooper armor products, a buddy of mine out in Cali messaged me one day, showing me pics of a nearly 2 complete sets of the Anovos snowy kit, some parts trimmed/worked on, but others fresh from the Vacuu-former. I'll note that this was way before Anovos finally shipped the pre-orders and sold kits. He told me that a prop shop or some local business was contracted to build these sets for Anovos. He said one day, however, Anovos reps came in, shut it all down and said they were moving all of the production overseas to China. He managed to secure those sets of armor just because his friend apparently worked for that company. So, if what he said is legitimate, then that implies that at least some of the products were actually being worked on inside the United States. I cannot say if they were also working on other products other than the Snowy, but I don't doubt it.

IDK, this whole thing is F'd up. They have stopped responding to my emails about missing parts and replacement pieces for the Snowtrooper kit I bought for my fiance'. It's ridiculous that they can't even respond to people who have done business with them already. Just "thanks for your money, now go F' yourself"

Well yeah that’s the what you have to put up with when dealing with china.

It’s a well known fact that is out there.

Anogos evidentially did not do due diligence in who to do buisiness with over there OR did not have enough sense to know when to take the loss and pull the plug

It wasn't always that way though. It only started happening AFTER they started lying and obfuscating what was actually going on. You don't get to say people are too critical so i'm not going to answer anything when its 100% YOUR FAULT they're being that critical. If they hadn't lied about things or at the very least, withheld the truth, and actually delivered things it wouldn't be an issue.

If people were nitpicking typo's or saying where's my item? it's 2 weeks late, then yeah, you have a point. But you can't fault your public for being unhappy with your poor behavior and track record. It simply doesn't work that way.

Still trying to stay away for the most part but just want to be on the record with no sympathy.

Zero.

No one gives a crap about whatever waxing or waning levels of insecurity they grapple with at Anovos.

They lost money in working with China.

Lost their best, future returning customers in working with China.

Would love to see as many countries as possible pull out of Chinese manufacturing and let them starve for a bit. That country’s desperation is its own making.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back