ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Also, check this out:

Anovos said "Delivery in March 2018."

In May of 2018, wondering what happened, they said, "costume is undergoing safety testing."

Now, a year later, they FULLY ADMIT that all of the costumes had to be trashed and knew it at the time for a while. This means that "safety testing" was, like we all knew at the time, a FLAT OUT LIE BECAUSE THEY WERE SCARED ABOUT A FLOOD OF REFUND REQUESTS.

So they admitted to lying in order to keep our money.

After that we were all told that costumes were on some jerk off ship, crossing the Pacific. And when jerk off ship got to L.A., Ryan at CS was just as shocked as I was (at least I feel he was honest with me) - MEANING that Mayonnaise Face and his Creative Haircut partner LIED TO THEIR OWN CUSTOMER SERVICE CREW!!!

Then there was silence for another ten months. Nothing.

And we get the story a year later that they are starting again.

Oh, I forgot - guy down the street from me was paroled from jail because he agreed to beat his wife only one time a week instead of four times. He is trying so hard to be good!!! I'm sure that many of you understand, agree, and send your support, right?

Anyway, you can see why I just can't be here much. I only get enraged and it is not healthy.

Just keep thread near the top.

I totally agree there has been major communication and delivery issues with Anovos and efx. I don't agree that neither of these have ever showed the ability to produce the products. Anovos certainly has a long history of being late, but they have delivered many products in the past. I always looked at the delivery estimates as extremely vague guesses, but it does still get frustrating. I wish they had more frequent status updates of the progress.

I have less experience with efx but they have also had very few Star Wars products offered other than the PCR helmets in recent years. I'm amazed efx still has a SW license with how few items they have offered in recent years.

I totally agree there has been major communication and delivery issues with Anovos and efx. I don't agree that neither of these have ever showed the ability to produce the products. Anovos certainly has a long history of being late, but they have delivered many products in the past. I always looked at the delivery estimates as extremely vague guesses, but it does still get frustrating. I wish they had more frequent status updates of the progress.

I have less experience with efx but they have also had very few Star Wars products offered other than the PCR helmets in recent years. I'm amazed efx still has a SW license with how few items they have offered in recent years.

Agreed in part. But by "ability" to deliver products I also mean their ability to get them to us not just late, but during the years (plural, yearS) we have an interest in using them. Imagine wearing an AT-AT driver costume by yourself to Avatar in 2021. Or getting it delivered when the kids are making out behind the house instead of working on their own costumes from YEARS ago. This is not a delay and this is not being late - this is the cake, however tasty, being delivered 5 weeks after the wedding.

"Late" still includes pertinence in its definition. Anyone ever try to see a ballgame at Yankee Stadium in December? "Late" doesn't apply at all here.

For whatever it’s worth, I heard that two of their Chinese factories had been recently destroyed which effected production. Also, spoke with a contact at Anovos who said that the Kylo Ren suits had a finishing substance put on them but that they were placed into bags too early (before fully curing) and that they were destroyed when received by Anovos. This all sucks and is unfortunate, yet I can see how the lack of transparency is something that makes it difficult for people to trust them.

Maybe you are being sarcastic, but neither Disney nor Lucasfilm are new at licensing products. They should know what they are doing.

Both Anovos and efx have delivered quite a few products in the past. Recent years have been a problem for both. Maybe something has changed in how the Chinese factories are working on items like these. It seems odd that both of these companies would start having issues around the same time.

I don't think efx has delivered a new product in 5ish years. What's the point of a license if you never use it??

Anovos i think dug themselves a hole, thought offerring more would buy them time to get out of said hole, but the hole just got bigger and deeper.

For whatever it’s worth, I heard that two of their Chinese factories had been recently destroyed which effected production. Also, spoke with a contact at Anovos who said that the Kylo Ren suits had a finishing substance put on them but that they were placed into bags too early (before fully curing) and that they were destroyed when received by Anovos. This all sucks and is unfortunate, yet I can see how the lack of transparency is something that makes it difficult for people to trust them.

That's all well and good, but they didn't fess up.

Had they said (which i think they did) that the Kylo stuff was incoming, and when it turned out to being ruined explained the situation (they flatly did not) then it would have been accepted by people. They wouldn't like it, but they'd understand to one degree or another.

By keeping it ultra secret and telling no one, they just gained a crapload of ill will that could have been avoided. People just heard stuff was inbound and never heard another word and took it as a big lie. The truth would have helped them out but they had to cover it up. At that point i'm sure there are delays as to arguing it out over who has to pick up the tab, timing, scheduling, etc. But people would have gotten that had they admitted the mistake.

At this point I don't (and neither doesn't anyone else) care if they have valid reasons or not. They've blown any chance at people accepting valid reasons by lying about them over the years. They never admitted to screwing up until WAY to late, or never took any blame at all. They are 100% at the point of 'deliver or else' and i don't know that they understand that. They need to apologize accurately and admit the mistakes and actually make good on what people paid for.

Stunningly they're seemingly worse off than Efx how can't even offer a product to save their lives and only release the 'new' Scout helmet after selling it 4 years before delivery with nothing else offered/delivered in that time frame that didn't already exist to one extent or another.

None of which will see the light of day other than prototypes if they don't get their act together.
You are very respectful, offering the addendum "if they don't get their act together."
I mean that sincerely.

My suggestion, and it is a bit nefarious....
Why doesn't RS (or anybody capable) start offering the exact same pieces (even on preview) that Anovos does?
First, it would (hopefully) split deposits on product.
Second, (from 1) also starve Anovos for funds, even if just lightly.
Last, a very good opportunity for another company (with hopefully a good reputation) to inherit some of the customer base.

Yes, I already see issues. If Anovos holds license, they would then want to pursue against people offering... But therein lies a beautiful rub; someone offers identicals, Anovos rocks the boat, and now it forces original licansees to (hopefully) pursue a legitimate solution. But I bet Anovos won't. Because these are the last gasping breaths of a poorly-managed business that would LOVE to get more deposits before inevitable bankruptcy and the litigation they are avoiding.
Sorry, definitely more than two of my cents, but anybody that's been around here knows how this goes; it's just disappointing that it's a large-license business. Look up Steve Dymszo, for those of you newer here. Sorry for ranting, as well.

Probably true, but the problem with that is that it's giving me deja vu, or making me wonder if I've fallen into a time portal.

Because I really only read this thread now out of a morbid fascination for this insane story. I USED to read the thread out of interest for the company and product, then I stopped for a couple YEARS. Now, after coming back I see the exact same conversation "Oh we tried, but we had problems with overseas factory, we've learned from it and moving forward we will not have these issues."

Out of curiosity I glanced at an earlier page and saw the exact same conversation happening right here in this thread...three years ago.

So at this point I feel like anyone buying a "we had an unexpected issue, but we're making changes and it will be better going forward" story, should PM me for info on some PRIMO property I'm selling. Beach front. Deposit required, of course.

Wow - if true, that is the EXACT mindset I brought up earlier. And proof of ignorance, idiocy, and nothing but old mayonnaise on the horizon. The thinking of, "oooh, product in my hand means put over here into slot make go to customer automatic." It is so damn simplistic. It could even have been that all that beautiful work would have been fine but that NO ONE INVOLVED HAS ANY SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE!!!

Same with cracks on Phasma helmets. I left props in 1993 or so and I STILL know about dry time on a piece!!!!

Which means that no one at Disney was experienced enough to see that the plane did not have enough fuel. Now it is halfway across the ocean on Ano-go-s Airways.

And even IF any of their excuses were valid, that means there were no contingency plans.

...I wonder what this is all about... FB page selling Anovos helmets.

This, plus the fact that EE has the AT-AT helmet in stock makes me wonder if Anovos is finally starting to deliver.

Last edited:
Oh we have heard that one before.

There are a few reasons Anogos has lost the trust of the fan base, the lack of transparency and the no refund policy especially is the death knell for this company

Looked like only one AT-AT helmet in stock on EE? What’s that all about...

Also still showing the Imperial Officer hat in Black, coming to a store somewhere (maybe) January 2020. Still don’t understand the logic of cancelling grey-green hats, yet still posting preorders for the black one. As someone noted to me at awesomecon, ‘it’s just a hat, shouldn’t take that long to make’... and no I don’t need another metal cockade, give the discount for those who want the hat only. I have an Imperial Officer hat in grey-green they were selling years ago, should not have been a challenge to reissue that color either.

Need that voice Jesse Custer uses in Preacher (no spoilers). But I digress.

That's all well and good, but they didn't fess up.

Had they said (which i think they did) that the Kylo stuff was incoming, and when it turned out to being ruined explained the situation (they flatly did not) then it would have been accepted by people. They wouldn't like it, but they'd understand to one degree or another.

THIS is where the current generation of business leaders are failing. Someone earlier posted that they are too young and eager... I have found this is NOT their fail point. Where they are lacking is taking responsibility for their failures. It's always someone else's fault... and even when it is they are not honest about it and admit mistakes were made.

My personal philosophy when it comes to failure... Admit the error and then put it in the past and work on finding a path forward to correct the situation. Don't waste time pointing fingers. You'll get more respect from the people you do business with if you say, "I screwed up, I'm sorry, now let's figure out how to make it right."

Cheers
Steve

THIS is where the current generation of business leaders are failing. Someone earlier posted that they are too young and eager... I have found this is NOT their fail point. Where they are lacking is taking responsibility for their failures. It's always someone else's fault... and even when it is they are not honest about it and admit mistakes were made.

My personal philosophy when it comes to failure... Admit the error and then put it in the past and work on finding a path forward to correct the situation. Don't waste time pointing fingers. You'll get more respect from the people you do business with if you say, "I screwed up, I'm sorry, now let's figure out how to make it right."

Cheers
Steve
Accountability should be a legal obligation when you get a business license.

Entertainment Earth has the pre order of the TLJ FO TK standard helmet for $224.99 with free shipping in the US. I suspect this is an incorrect price for this item. The Anovos website has the same helmet for $350.

Accountability should be a legal obligation when you get a business license.
I don't really see how saying the factory had an issue or what was produced wasn't up to standards is not being accountable if that is what actually happened. Dealing with factories on another continent is not easy. Companies like Anovos and efx do not have any where near the influence companies like Hasbro have over the factories.

Anovos could have just accepted the lower quality Kylo costume to send it out sooner. Would the customers have preferred getting a sub standard product sooner or wait longer for what they actually ordered?

The delay for other items has not been explained at all as far as I know. It is pretty silly that some Rogue One and TFA products have not been delivered yet.

I totally agree the communication has been poor for both of these companies.

I don't really see how saying the factory had an issue or what was produced wasn't up to standards is not being accountable if that is what actually happened.
Yes. If that is what really happened.

A year ago I would have given them (Anovos) the benefit of the doubt. But now, based on what I've been reading here in the past 2 years, it's nearly impossible not to assume that it's poor management. And where there's poor management (and poor communication) there's nearly always a lack of accountability.

To be fair, I will admit that I've likely been (slightly) influenced by this thread, but that doesn't change the fact that they're 2+ years behind schedule for certain simple items. Items that have been fully paid, I might add.

Dealing with factories on another continent is not easy.

Agreed. Yet thousands of companies, big and small, deal with foreign factories every day, and they somehow manage to get their items in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sure there are/were unforeseen factors. But seriously - how long can it possibly take to get it right? Are pilot helmets that complicated to produce? Don't they have enough references for the paint schemes? What could possibly delay production for that long?

It is pretty silly that some Rogue One and TFA products have not been delivered yet.

Silly to the point where we have to wonder if those R1/TFA products have ever been put into production. Blue Leader= 2+ year delay? Because of factory issues?
As someone here mentioned a few pages ago: Disney had enough time to build not one, but 2 Star Wars theme parks during that same period.

--
--
--

We don't know.
There could be other reasons, none of which were ever brought up here.
We just don't know.

All we do know is (and I'm paraphrasing): the merch is almost here - there was a slight delay - it's on the boat - it's almost here - etc...

We've been reminded of that about every 3 month. For 24 months. And counting...

The pre-Celebration communications momentarily refueled my optimism.
But the lack of communication and additional delays since then (restating: for fully paid items) is a clear sign that they do not care about their customers. Why would they? They already have our money.

It's this, it's that. it's the factory, it's quality control - at some point we have to look at this for what it truly is: excuses. And when a business is allowed to operate by not delivering what's been agreed upon and fully paid for, then doesn't that make them unaccountable?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back