ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

As good a place as any - my theory Star Wars 9 is that Palpatine tried to clone Vader as a backup. So Rey is, in effect, a third Anakin offspring.

This is all me - no internet stuff.

Thought I’d write it here so I don’t get arrested for what I might otherwise say in this thread lol!!

Anovos should have started on kickstarter - much more honest - much closer to what our money was used for.

Last edited:
Okay, question...

In that Kylo blog, Anovos says that they made the right cloth, coated it, and sent it out to manufacturers to be made. But that tanked.

Then in the second attempt, manufacturer makes everything but makes HUGE rookie move in doing shiny stuff last. A problem Anovos knew for over a year before telling us.

BUT -

if the first time around this kookie cloth was made shiny first and set up to be sewn, why the hell are they doing coating/ shiny “tests” again? Why not just do what they did years and years ago with the first batch of cloth?

Bought a in Stock item over a month ago, just got a shipping confirmation. I was asking them for over 2 weeks, when is my order going to ship? Never got a response, just the automated reply.

Hurry up guys!!!!

IMG_0286.jpg

Curious, how many people here are just "done" because of this? I mean, when this costume gets here (if), I won't know what to do with it. I think that putting any time into it or putting it on will just feel kind of embarrassing at this point.

But by "done" I mean that Anovos has pretty completely killed the hobby for me.

I just gave away some molds and props. Threw out resin, fiberglass, paint, etc.

Just wondering who else might feel the same.

And does anyone know what stage the lawsuit is in? I'm not part of it but pretty darn curious.

I won't say I'm done because of this but I will say it is going to take an awful lot for me to buy directly from a manufacturer again. I will use 3rd party vendors that don't charge until they are ready to ship it out. Except for the Stormtrooper helmet I bought all of my MR replicas directly from MR and never had an issue other than sometimes things took a while but they always delivered and you could always talk to someone.

Curious, how many people here are just "done" because of this? I mean, when this costume gets here (if), I won't know what to do with it. I think that putting any time into it or putting it on will just feel kind of embarrassing at this point.

I understand your sentiment. When Icons folded after stealing thousand of dollars from me, I was totally "done". It took twenty years for me to get interested in this hobby again. I won't fall for the manufacturer pre-order trap.

And does anyone know what stage the lawsuit is in? I'm not part of it but pretty darn curious.

My advice: don't let Anovos ruin your fun. Eventually they'll merely be an anecdotal chapter in your life.

I've never been a huge costume person, and I was personally kinda done with SW after the last few films. And then I saw some Mandolorian footage, along with some visual development concepts from someone within production, plus some insight on what LFL has planned ....and I totally got excited again.

Be patient, take a few steps back, recharge, and rediscover your passion. Soon enough we'll be having drinks at the Cantina, chatting about better things ;)

darthjones, it's interesting to me to have seen, over the years, what people can and can't absorb. I have enjoyed Star Trek since as far back as I can remember, but it didn't "click" for me until I was 11 or so. But from there, I was such a full-on Trekkie, it scares even me. Made my first solo costume at 13 (TNG first-season jumpsuit), was designing my own ships and writing my own fanfic. All this was in the late '80s. By the time the internet was beginning to be a thing, I was in Star Trek chatrooms on AOL, I was on the rec.arts.startrek.tech newsgroup (remember those?) arguing technical minutiæ, continuity, ship design, and doing deep lore delves (like trying to ID all forty ships at Wolf 359 -- currently we're stalled out at fifteen named, plus four to six additional unnamed). And not just fans -- we were discussing this stuff with Mike Okuda and Rick Sternbach and David Stipe and occasionally Ed Miarecki, Andy Probert, and John Eaves.

As newsgroups went away, a lot of folks transitioned to TrekBBS, but that forum bothers me more than it doesn't. I spent most of my time on another forum with some of the more deliberate and thoughtful folks from the newsgroup -- several of whom I'm frinds with to this day. But by the time all we had on the air was Voyager, it was getting harder to stay engaged. The TNG movies had been something of a let-down, and DS9 was over. Then Enterprise happened, and, after my initial grumbling that it was trying to be both the early voyages of NCC-1701 under Robert April and a story of the Founding of the Federation a century earlier, and ended up doing neither very well... Let's say that by the time Enterprise was cancelled, I hadn't been on that forum for a couple years. In my 20s, my shoulders filled out, and none of the uniforms I'd made in high school fit any more. I still haven't re-made them, twenty years later.

With JJ-Trek, it got even harder to keep liking Star Trek. I still had all my old novels and comics, I had my DVDs, I had -- and have -- my models... But not many people to talk to about it. Contemporary Trek wasn't "my" Trek any more. But I love and miss what it was in its heyday, so I've been fighting my way back. Dusting off unfinished models and remembering what I was doing, revising my patterns and research on the uniforms and props, even starting to accumulate raw materials again. I'm still furious at how Trek has been mishandled since the late '90s, but the good stuff is still there, and that's what I'm dredging back into the light to share with people.

Over in Star Wars land, the 501st is so dysfunctional some local and online crap that happened turned me away from Imperial costuming (or wanting to still join the club) for a good decade.

And so on. But what originally "sparked joy", to borrow a phrase, is still there, and the other junk can only squelch that temporarily. At least for me. I can't fathom getting rid of it all. Or rather, I can, but the ultimate conclusion of that line of thinking is killing myself. *shrug* This really is my raison d'être. If I don't have it, if I can't do it, if I just become another resource-consuming economic cog, why frikkin' bother? I don't like that conclusion, so I fight to retain my enjoyment. It's hard sometimes, when the people in charge of the properties I love most keep screwing them up, but reinforcing the good stuff helps keep in on the radar -- not just for me, but for others. And, even when I've walked away from one or more of them for a while in frustration and/or disgust, I've found my way back again. Even when it takes years or decades. And after my first time experiencing that pendulum swing and back, and regretted the heck out of the stuff I'd gotten rid of (and spent a lot of money and time getting as much of it back as I could), I've learned to wait out that depressive-purge phase.

Despite your bitterness and frustration and anger, I know you still remember what it is about this universe that has kept you in it for so long. Talk to me about that -- via PM, if you like, so as not to drag this waaaaay off-topic -- and let's see if the guttering flame of creative purpose can be kept going.

Meantime, I'm keeping one eye on the lawsuit, waiting for the three things I have on order with ANOVOS, and doing my best to focus on the fifty million other things clamoring for my time and attention. Heck, even the things peripheral to my orders -- the rest of the stuff needed to do the First Order Stormtrooper, my own build of the Trek movie-era uniform undershirt and trousers... Takes more than one licensee to kill this for me. ;)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks guys! This is all great.

But the irony is that I WILL get excited about the upcoming films/ projects. I just won't have a way to participate.

And this includes visits to hospitals and things like that which got half way organized (because of Anovos messages like "Delivery in Spring") and then cancelled.

The lesson is the same as it has been for about 2.5M years - excitement is a mistake until you have the results in hand.

I WILL enjoy hanging with any of you if we cross paths. And share stories and all that. That is exciting.

And I have tickets to Celebration 2020 already if any of you want to meet and take creative selfies at the Anovos booth on Sunday evening that weekend.

darthjones, it's interesting to me to have seen, over the years, what people can and can't absorb. I have enjoyed Star Trek since as far back as I can remember, but it didn't "click" for me until I was 11 or so. But from there, I was such a full-on Trekkie, it scares even me. Made my first solo costume at 13 (TNG first-season jumpsuit), was designing my own ships and writing my own fanfic. All this was in the late '80s. By the time the internet was beginning to be a thing, I was in Star Trek chatrooms on AOL, I was on the rec.arts.startrek.tech newsgroup (remember those?) arguing technical minutiæ, continuity, ship design, and doing deep lore delves (like trying to ID all forty ships at Wolf 359 -- currently we're stalled out at fifteen named, plus four to six additional unnamed). And not just fans -- we were discussing this stuff with Mike Okuda and Rick Sternbach and David Stipe and occasionally Ed Miarecki, Andy Probert, and John Eaves.

As newsgroups went away, a lot of folks transitioned to TrekBBS, but that forum bothers me more than it doesn't. I spent most of my time on another forum with some of the more deliberate and thoughtful folks from the newsgroup -- several of whom I'm frinds with to this day. But by the time all we had on the air was Voyager, it was getting harder to stay engaged. The TNG movies had been something of a let-down, and DS9 was over. Then Enterprise happened, and, after my initial grumbling that it was trying to be both the early voyages of NCC-1701 under Robert April and a story of the Founding of the Federation a century earlier, and ended up doing neither very well... Let's say that by the time Enterprise was cancelled, I hadn't been on that forum for a couple years. In my 20s, my shoulders filled out, and none of the uniforms I'd made in high school fit any more. I still haven't re-made them, twenty years later.

With JJ-Trek, it got even harder to keep liking Star Trek. I still had all my old novels and comics, I had my DVDs, I had -- and have -- my models... But not many people to talk to about it. Contemporary Trek wasn't "my" Trek any more. But I love and miss what it was in its heyday, so I've been fighting my way back. Dusting off unfinished models and remembering what I was doing, revising my patterns and research on the uniforms and props, even starting to accumulate raw materials again. I'm still furious at how Trek has been mishandled since the late '90s, but the good stuff is still there, and that's what I'm dredging back into the light to share with people.

Over in Star Wars land, the 501st is so dysfunctional some local and online crap that happened turned me away from Imperial costuming (or wanting to still join the club) for a good decade.

And so on. But what originally "sparked joy", to borrow a phrase, is still there, and the other junk can only squelch that temporarily. At least for me. I can't fathom getting rid of it all. Or rather, I can, but the ultimate conclusion of that line of thinking is killing myself. *shrug* This really is my raison d'être. If I don't have it, if I can't do it, if I just become another resource-consuming economic cog, why frikkin' bother? I don't like that conclusion, so I fight to retain my enjoyment. It's hard sometimes, when the people in charge of the properties I love most keep screwing them up, but reinforcing the good stuff helps keep in on the radar -- not just for me, but for others. And, even when I've walked away from one or more of them for a while in frustration and/or disgust, I've found my way back again. Even when it takes years or decades. And after my first time experiencing that pendulum swing and back, and regretted the heck out of the stuff I'd gotten rid of (and spent a lot of money and time getting as much of it back as I could), I've learned to wait out that depressive-purge phase.

Despite your bitterness and frustration and anger, I know you still remember what it is about this universe that has kept you in it for so long. Talk to me about that -- via PM, if you like, so as not to drag this waaaaay off-topic -- and let's see if the guttering flame of creative purpose can be kept going.

Meantime, I'm keeping one eye on the lawsuit, waiting for the three things I have on order with ANOVOS, and doing my best to focus on the fifty million other things clamoring for my time and attention. Heck, even the things peripheral to my orders -- the rest of the stuff needed to do the First Order Stormtrooper, my own build of the Trek movie-era uniform undershirt and trousers... Takes more than one licensee to kill this for me. ;)

And thanks again for the thoughts! I'm with you in this sense - I have started reading what are held to be some of the better Star Wars novels (I highly recommend James Luceno books). And I am taking in the Vader comics too. THAT is fun. And funny, I saw a quote from George Lucas where he said (paraphrased), "I'll never make another Star Wars movie: All you do is get criticized, etc." So we are in good company.

Conversing with other fans is always going to be great fun. No matter what.

I DO get excited - but I don't have the time to make a replacement costume and hang out at the level to which I am invited. I have been the guy in a ball cap to the side making sure other people's stormtrooper armor is staying together.

And thanks again for the thoughts! I'm with you in this sense - I have started reading what are held to be some of the better Star Wars novels (I highly recommend James Luceno books).

James Luceno and Brian Daley used to write together under the pseudonym Jack McKinney. I like Luceno's books (even though his flowery prose at the start makes the first couple pages a slog until he settles down), I like Daley's even more and can't recommend his Han Solo adventures highly enough, and if you like Robotech "Jack McKinney's" novelizations of the series are a mostly-good read (and, in places, better than the anime).

I DO get excited - but I don't have the time to make a replacement costume and hang out at the level to which I am invited. I have been the guy in a ball cap to the side making sure other people's stormtrooper armor is staying together.
*raises hand* Poster boy, here. I first found out about the 501st back in 2000 or so. I am still not a member. I ran across the Mandalorian Mercs at Celebration IV back in '07, and am still not a member there, either. I have a lot of costumes in the pipeline, but a combination of real life concerns, giving commissions priority over personal projects, and club drama have kept me from closing the gap to official standing. I've been a squire/handler so often over the years. I am praised for my helpfulness and confusedly questioned as to why I'm not official yet. *sigh*

I'd rather do it right than fast, but when life keeps treating you like a punching bag, that can push things many years on the side of annoying. I have to keep reminding myself there are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going. Tell me... What is it you're needing for your front-runner costume (don't even know how many you might have interest in)? My Royal Guard is what I consider to be barely wearable. I could probably get it approved, but I'd rather make it better first. That requires better fabric and good color match with the dyes, a new and more accurate set of inner garments, new gloves, additional work on the pike and helmet... *shrug* I know the struggle. I'll help you with yours where I can.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back