ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

When I think of direct lineage is when you mold from a original or a 2nd generation ect... if a 3D scan is a direct lineage explain why it turned out the way it did?
Probably the same way the MR Boba helmet went from a beautiful looking prototype to a pinched disaster of a bucket. Still haven't quite figured out what the heck happened there

This whole thread is hysteria and made-up nonsense.

Just outa curiosity, you didn’t happen to be the same guy over on the Anovos Collectors group page who was going on about how the lawsuit “has no merit” and such a few days back, were ya?

When I think of direct lineage is when you mold from a original or a 2nd generation ect... if a 3D scan is a direct lineage explain why it turned out the way it did?

Probably because it was altered for whatever reason, same can be done with molds made from screenused stuff.

But we should let this thread to go back to its original purpose. You are as fanatic for the original shape as i hate it, so it would be a fruitless discussion. And no matter how much I like the look of their armor, not delivering the paid goods is the real problem.

I can't comment specifically on the Anovos TK, since I haven't studied the differences at all, but as a more general explanation I would assume it's down to how the scan was handled afterward. I've worked with 3D scans of props and you can't really use them 'out of the box' so to speak. Scanning can introduce errors and glitches that need to be removed. Scans also usually produce "bad geometry" which is to say that the polygons that make up the surface of the model are arranged in a way that makes them look 'messy' and hard to work with, so you need to clean that up, without destroying the captured details. In this stage it's critical to have a 'good eye' so that you preserve all the details exactly. Sometimes you see something, for example a little 'bump' or whatever, that you can't determine whether it's part of the actual prop or a scan anomaly- that's when you start to pore over photos like a madman so that you don't remove an authentic detail. If someone is less experienced, less meticulous (or just in a hurry) there's a high likelihood they will smooth over certain details or otherwise alter the object, without realizing it. Think of scanning an object as casting it in clay- you can still go in and change things. Again, I don't know much about the Anovos TK, but if they made metal vac bucks, perhaps they had to do lots of alterations to make creating them easier?

No disrespect intended towards whomever worked with the Anovos files, but it's simply possible that you, GF, are more adept at spotting minute differences after studying the TKs for so long. (I am kind of the same way with some props from Guardians of the Galaxy.) To most, the Anovos TK looks like any TK, but to you, every little error is a little pin jabbing your retina. I mean, there are folks out there that can't see much difference between an FX and a direct-lineage pull!

I know (and agree with) the idea that holding a solid object in your hands is different than working from a screen, but I still consider a 3d scan a direct lineage, because instead of using silicone to 'capture' the location data of molecules in the prop, you're using light and a memory card. It's just capturing the information in a different way. In fact, if you're really good at it, scanning an object can create a more exact copy because you don't have to deal with things like shrinkage.

Last edited:
I’m aware of the differences, not that that’s relevant to what I wrote. But I won’t try to explain again, as the thread is already on quite a tangent as it is.

As a way of righting the ship, I can say that Anovos hasn’t emailed me since I replied to a question about whether I still wanted a refund, nearly two months ago, nor have I received a refund, first requested nearly 6 months ago.

Has anyone gotten a refund since the news about the lawsuit?

Go with a charge back. You'll get the refund within a few weeks without having to deal with Anovos.

I can't comment specifically on the Anovos TK, since I haven't studied the differences at all, but as a more general explanation I would assume it's down to how the scan was handled afterward. I've worked with 3D scans of props and you can't really use them 'out of the box' so to speak. Scanning can introduce errors and glitches that need to be removed. Scans also usually produce "bad geometry" which is to say that the polygons that make up the surface of the model are arranged in a way that makes them look 'messy' and hard to work with, so you need to clean that up, without destroying the captured details. In this stage it's critical to have a 'good eye' so that you preserve all the details exactly. Sometimes you see something, for example a little 'bump' or whatever, that you can't determine whether it's part of the actual prop or a scan anomaly- that's when you start to pore over photos like a madman so that you don't remove an authentic detail. If someone is less experienced, less meticulous (or just in a hurry) there's a high likelihood they will smooth over certain details or otherwise alter the object, without realizing it. Think of scanning an object as casting it in clay- you can still go in and change things. Again, I don't know much about the Anovos TK, but if they made metal vac bucks, perhaps they had to do lots of alterations to make creating them easier?

No disrespect intended towards whomever worked with the Anovos files, but it's simply possible that you, GF, are more adept at spotting minute differences after studying the TKs for so long. (I am kind of the same way with some props from Guardians of the Galaxy.) To most, the Anovos TK looks like any TK, but to you, every little error is a little pin jabbing your retina. I mean, there are folks out there that can't see much difference between an FX and a direct-lineage pull!

I know (and agree with) the idea that holding a solid object in your hands is different than working from a screen, but I still consider a 3d scan a direct lineage, because instead of using silicone to 'capture' the location data of molecules in the prop, you're using light and a memory card. It's just capturing the information in a different way. In fact, if you're really good at it, scanning an object can create a more exact copy because you don't have to deal with thinks like shrinkage.
Well said! I never considered 3D scanning the way you have described. This was an informative post.

Anovos sent out a massive update email. Looks like a lot of product has been delayed until Q3/Q4 of this year. I'm doubtful that I'll be able to have anything in hand before Episode IX.

That update is BEYOND messed up. After all this wait and wait and wait for updates we get the same photos with, once again, Q1-Q4 “estimates”. What The ****

Be warned not to make any Halloween plans or Episode IX release plans with any of the products here because you will have them for neither.

And notice the Kylo costumes are 2019 TBD?!!! That is because they flat out lied about having finished them to standard.

Holy ******* ******.

That update is BEYOND messed up. After all this wait and wait and wait for updates we get the same photos with, once again, Q1-Q4 “estimates”. What The ****

Be warned not to make any Halloween plans or Episode IX release plans with any of the products here because you will have them for neither.

And notice the Kylo costumes are 2019 TBD?!!! That is because they flat out lied about having finished them to standard.

Holy ******* ******.

And according to that post, the costume's "nearly completed update" that just needs to clear its final approval before being posted... has a timeline measured in weeks?

My favorite response so far is that supposedly “the FO kits have indeed began shipping and I am king it shocked you haven’t seen any out in the wild..” [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This “update” has done more damage than good. These guys are so lacking in self-awareness.

I mean ****, every update of late has been about changes - aaaaallllllll these ******* changes - and it culminates in the same, useless Q system of estimates with the flowery language of a high school love letter.

I hope Joe and Dana are at Celebration 2020.

I know (and agree with) the idea that holding a solid object in your hands is different than working from a screen, but I still consider a 3d scan a direct lineage, because instead of using silicone to 'capture' the location data of molecules in the prop, you're using light and a memory card. It's just capturing the information in a different way. In fact, if you're really good at it, scanning an object can create a more exact copy because you don't have to deal with things like shrinkage.

I know very well with todays technologie they can 3D replicate to perfection but in this case whatever 3D scan process they used didn't work that well because its nothing like a original movie helmet, but like you stated they must have reworked the 3D mold in a very bad way.

......and in Dec we will get ANOTHER “Update” that it will be pushed back to Q1/Q4.

Does this actually surprise anybody here?

Anovos sent out a massive update email. Looks like a lot of product has been delayed until Q3/Q4 of this year. I'm doubtful that I'll be able to have anything in hand before Episode IX.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back