ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

Anovos ... I was eating a burrito the other day and realized half-way through that, while very tasty, it was bodied in part with my own manhood ... Anovos.

The horizon is wide yet encompasses my own sense and longing for wonder and purpose as I sit exposed this morning in the dawn and desert wind, apart and away from shipping any goddam fukking item out that I promised many times over let us sing... - Anovos, 1734 - Portugal

2. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...we just lost darthjones2...:p

3. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got my Dark Side Kylo on Friday. Needs to be coated and I still need a few things but not bad for 3.5 weeks.

k7UNYHn.jpg

refugee, pepperbone and oblagon like this.
  4. Nasedo

Nasedo Jr Member

I stopped buying anovos stuff after a long fight trying to get a refund on a 2+year preorder. I’m happy with the stuff I bought. Wish they got there act together, but no longer a customer.

Attached Files:

pepperbone and Egon Spengler like this.
  5. Nasedo

Nasedo Jr Member

pepperbone and Solos blaster like this.
  6. refugee

refugee Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good! Flip that buckle. Also, there is a guy that does an incredible coating job on the Knights of Ren facebook site. Weston Staggs

Weston Staggs

The end result is basically the surcoat and hood look very uniformly coated. Worth it

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. Sean Hebein

Already in contact with Weston and will be sending him everything today! :D

I knew I had that stupid buckle upside down but I only noticed it after I took the pics and was dressed down lol.

refugee and pepperbone like this.
  8. mluder

mluder Active Member

It's been almost a full week since I e-mailed Reggie about my Solo Force Awakens jacket. I received an automated response noting my request was received but no actual response.

Cheers
    Steve

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  9. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

My wife ordered about $1k from Anovos (mostly Jynn Erso items) in two orders, early 2017. As you can imagine, she is still waiting. They cancelled the Jynn Concho, and offered the Cassian Jacket as a replacement. A week before the estimated shipping date, they keep pushing back the delivery dates. Now they have removed the calendar feature from the website for "Customer Convenience" They didn't even email an update about the recent Jan 14, 2019 delays alerts. Items that had a Winter 2018 Shipping estimate, now show Winter 2019 as an expected delivery date? The main issue I have, is that they keep offering preorders for new items. If they can't figure out the supply chain for items ordered 2 years ago, they have no business constantly offering preorders for new items.

They send the same form letter response with the same reason for delay, and just change the name of the "item" in the letter. Some of the delay updates I have received, they forgot to even change the name of the item, so they obviously send it out the same delay response to everyone for every item. The reason for delay on my 2 BLACK Imperial Officer's hats says they are having trouble sourcing the correct color of fabric to offer screen accurate color matching. It's a BLACK hat!!!

They have turned off comments on Instagram, because people kept asking where their orders were after 2 years, and why they keep offering new preorders for new items. Online Chat is down for maintenance right after they issued new delays. They don't respond to calls, they don't respond to tickets, and they have over 100 complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau. I don't know why Disney hasn't revoked their license. I will never preorder another item from Anovos, and will likely have American Express get involved to get my refund, as most people say they never issue refunds anyway.

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  10. Sean Hebein

Just found out that Chase's investigation was finalized in my favor so I get to keep the credit.
    Glad to be done with this. Good luck to those of you still in it.

pepperbone, Weldon and oblagon like this.
  11. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This right here screams proof that Anovos is run by a couple of jokers. These guys put up pre-orders for products that they don't even know if or how to make.
    Then they take peoples money and figure they will just make people wait until the production is figured out, if ever.

12. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

Yeah, I know. I can understand there are some embroidered or woven fabrics that are difficult to reproduce, but we are talking about a black fabric hat. Maybe Anovos can reach out to one of the many Etsy sellers offering Black Imperial Officers hats to find out the name of the fabric they are buying at their local Joanns Fabric store.

13. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

On a side note, I called Disney Corporate Office today, and after about an hour, and 5 or 6 calls, I was connected to the personal Voice Mail of one of Disney's Corporate Executive Lawyers. I left a detailed message about Anovos along with my contact info. I don't know how soon I will hear back, as they will probably want to look deeply into who Anovos is, and confirm the details of their exclusive licensing deal. I'm not sure if I'm allowed on this forum to post the Corporate Office Phone Number, but you can find it online.

With the recent news over the past week of Gary Whitta, the Co-Writer of Rogue One Petitioning Disney to revoke the Star Wars License from EA Games due to their failure to meets minimum requirements, now is a good time to get this up the Disney ladder. EA Games has cancelled 2 games, and only released 2, and they hold a 10 year exclusive contract. I assume Anovos is in a similar deal. Anovos may be trying to grab as many preorders as they can before their deal expires, thinking they can stretch the delivery until after the expiration, and then try and figure out how to actually make things. Just a thought?

14. Weldon

Weldon New Member

You may have said, already, a few pages back but - had you already requested a refund from Anovos prior to contacting Chase, and, did you pay outright or use their payment plan? Just trying to get an idea what to expect if I decide to go that route with Amex.

pepperbone likes this.
  15. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

I used an Amex Platinum, but Amex in general is super easy to work with. Amex doesn't even usually care about incomplete shipments, so if you received one piece out of a set, they will refund for the complete set. You pay more for Amex, and the fees are higher, but you really get the service you pay for.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  16. pepperbone

Man, that must be such a relief! Congrats!

Sean Hebein likes this.
  17. FuzzyWampa

FuzzyWampa New Member

I keep getting pre-order emails on items I'm interested in. My reply was "If these items aren't physically in your hands, you won't see a dime from me.".

18. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

SERIOUS QUALITY AND ACCURACY ISSUES WITH THE ANOVOS JYNN GLOVES

Anovos did actually send the Jynn Gloves, but not the scarf that was supposed to be included with it. The gloves were VERY poor quality leather and horrible stitching and assembly. They are NOT screen accurate in any way compared to the modified Black Diamond Gloves actually used in the movie. The Anovos Jynn gloves look like they were sold at the Disney Store for a 10 year olds costume.

The Anovos Jynn Gloves were only single stitched, not double stitched. Some seams for double layer leather were top stitched in place, not sewn inside out to hide stitching. The inside had leather dye stains splattered all over them. Anovos used some type of horrible thin leather that feels like cheap pigskin, whereas the Black Diamond gloves are lambskin I believe.

They completely missed the velcro and strap with several lines of stitching. The stitching across the palm is crooked, and sloppy, but completely different than the black diamond gloved modded for the film.

ONE MAJOR CONCERN: Anovos said the delay was caused by moving the production to the USA, but the gloves have a cheap tag that has been sloppily cut out of the cuff, and a new "MADE IN USA" tag has been top stitched onto the inside cuff after being assembled. I honestly think they were made in China, and the "Made in China" tags were cut out, and "Made in the USA" tags were added later. The cut out tags were sewn into the seam at the wrist, but all other tags were sewn in later, and the stitching is visible because it goes all the way through at the wrist, just bellow the palm.

I had been planning on waiting out on Anovos expecting to eventually get the best quality, most screen accurate items available, but the Gloves I received are VERY disappointing. I now feel I can get more screen accurate items from a few RPF members or Etsy sellers. I can get more screen accurate on Etsy by sellers modifying production used found objects such as Jynn's gloves, like they did for the movie. The Anovos Gloves are an absolute joke.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  19. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

Wow. All of this. Sean, great to hear you got your money back from them via Chase.

Just because they are so similar I thought I would post the Anovos updates concerning March of last year and then the one concerning March of THIS year. They say basically the same thing!! I highlighted "March" in each. It's about the Kylo costume.

And boy, I hope it is not as lame as the gloves you're talking about, TradeCraft!!!

Unreal...

January 16, 2019

Great news! Production is finished and we anticipate receiving these late February and anticipate shipping to our customers to begin March 2019 and beyond in waves. Once these start going out we will update everyone again here to that effect. Thank you again for your patience and perseverance through this long process. This item is exceeding our expectations in every way and we know you will love it as much as we do!

• March 9th, 2018
    • This item has completed production. We are currently awaiting these items to arrive to our fulfillment center and anticipate shipping to customers to begin in late March and continue through April. We are moving this item to Spring 2018 on the shipping calendar to reflect this.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  20. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

When I saw someone had posted that in the Kylo Ren costume thread I thought it sounded familiar and that they were already supposed to have been completed last year. I'm wondering if it is in response to all the people asking for refunds and getting them to stop their refund requests.

21. mluder

mluder Active Member

Well... This is convenient.
    I guess they got tired of fielding all the "where is my order?" and "my order has been delayed again but I received no e-mail notification?" questions...
    Scheduled maintenance??? LOL

upload_2019-1-23_10-6-50.png

Cheers
    Steve

22. Sean Hebein

I had requested a refund from Anovos prior. I also e-mailed someone from LucasFilm and Disney. I followed up with Ryan every Friday for 3 weeks before I involved Chase. Each time he promised that he would get his supervisor to get in contact but that never happened.

After I involved Chase, I stopped all contact with Anovos to not complicate their investigation.

The investigation took about 10 days.

I had paid for the entire transaction in full with my debit card at the time of order. I did not use their payment plan option.

23. Sean Hebein

darthjones2 I can't tell if they are being intentionally dishonest on their communications or if they have the best intentions but aren't able to follow through. I seriously hope that they can pull through for you! :)

mluder I am guessing that "maintenance" is really them not paying Zendesk for the chat module and it got shut off until they bring the account current. I hope that is not the case but I wouldn't be surprised. Zendesk wouldn't bring an account down for maintenance for that long. Maybe they are switching providers?

pepperbone likes this.
  24. Weldon

Weldon New Member

Sean Hebein,

Thanks for the info!

pepperbone and Sean Hebein like this.
  25. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

I noticed they are now changing their wording for new product on their website to "reserve now" instead of "pre order". Is there a difference or is this a clever way of legally not being obligated to produce an item?

26. oblagon

Once money changes hands they have a legal obligation to deliver or return your money. Otherwise it's stealing.
    A pre-order is reserving so I don't see the difference

27. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

I get that, but was wondering by using the wording "reserve" if it's some tricky way to get around being committed to a timeline. I mean didn't they remove the calendar? Just thinking and speculating out loud really.

28. mluder

mluder Active Member

They've never been committed to a timeline... There has always been a clause somewhere in their legalese stating that pre-orders are no guarantee that a product will be manufactured and shipping calendars are only estimates. Where they are currently in violation of their own legal requirements is the statement that they will provide notice in advance of any delay. So far I have not received a notice with the most recent shifting of delivery. IN my case the item didn't just slip one season but two. I've never seen them do that before.

Also - I can't help but notice their "Legal" page is now missing.

Cheers
    Steve

29. Crookknight

Crookknight Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My 2 cents.

I have ordered things in the past and never received them and had to beg for refunds.

Based on everything I see going on and as a vendor, myself, I would say that have major cash flow issues and will probably be filing for bankruptcy soon.

30. Weldon

Weldon New Member

I just emailed cancellation requests for the two items I ordered, and will be following up with my credit card company. It is unbelievable that that Anovos is continuing to offer new product pre-orders without fulfilling many existing orders. Of course, we really don't know how many orders they are getting for these new offerings. My concern is that, if I have to wait even 8-12 weeks for them to process refunds, they may go out of business before doing so and I'll get nothing. However, if that is likely as it seems it is, I probably will never get my orders either.

31. oblagon

Didn't Anovos offer Star Trek stuff for a few years with no problems before getting the SW license?
    Their new pre-orders are just the same helmets from earlier releases. With how much Anovos loves pre-orders, funny they haven't offered anything from Episode 9 and Solo; makes you wonder what's going on.

32. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah some of their trek items had a short turn around time.

The TOS tunics in particular but that should have been no problem for them as the material is still being made and the dye formula is known so...

33. Weldon

Weldon New Member

So, trying to work with American Express and they are trying to figure out how they can help but, initially, telling me that they cant dispute the charges because some of them (made on the payment plan) are more than 90 days old - something good to know if I ever pre-order anything from anyone in future with my Amex card. In this case, for sure, I wouldn't have gotten the products within 90 days of my placing orders even if Anovos had made their estimates. Amex is trying to put a dispute through using the estimated delivery date, which they failed to deliver on. 6-8 weeks to investigate. Hope it works.

Way too complicated and still no guarantee I wont end up out a bunch of $$. Live and learn, so, never again!

34. Sean Hebein

Weldon Chase told me essentially the same thing that since it is past 90 from purchase that they would use the last missed delivery date (December 21) as the collection date. They said that gives them a wider range of options for them to collect.

I hope it works out for you.

35. Weldon

Weldon New Member

Thanks. That kind of surprised me since I'd read elsewhere that American Express's time limits were more generous for consumers. So, I'm glad I contacted them now rather than later. If not for my concern regarding Anovos' future, I might have waited a bit to see if they would actually process a refund. I've read enough stories here and elsewhere, though, to convince myself that waiting would probably not be a good idea.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  36. Sean Hebein

Weldon that surprises me too about AMEX. I thought since I purchased on a debit that I would have been uber screwed. Waiting 90 days past December 21st would have been a huge mistake IMO.

37. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

They did offer Star Trek stuff including tunics and a few props. As far as I'm aware the only prop that got delivered was the first wave of the STD Phaser and the last I heard not all of the first wave. There are another 5 waves still waiting on delivery and all of those people paid up front. I really miss Master Replicas at times like this since they didn't charge you until it was ready to ship.

38. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

A quick update:

Still waiting on a response from one of Disney’s Executive Corporate Lawyers, but I left a voice mail on the direct line for the guy in charge of the entire licensing department for Lucasfilm. He deals with all licensing requests, so I’m sure I will hear back from him soon.

Afterwards, I may reach out to the Rogue One Co-Writer who just last week started the petition to void the exclusive video game License given to EA Games for not producing the content they promised.

Every news outlet that reported on that EA Games story may be interested to hear about the Anovos disaster that is being compared to a modern day Ponzi scheme. Since it revolves around Disney & Star Wars, it makes it a hot story.

Jagjaguwar and Sewbacca like this.
  39. mluder

mluder Active Member

If you're talking about Chris Holm, be aware that I e-mailed him back on Noveber 14, 2018. I shared what I sent earlier in this same thread. To date I have not received a response from him... Maybe you'll have better luck.

Cheers
    Steve

40. oblagon

Video game industry is huge compared to prop collecting. Not surprised he didn’t care and I would bet my collection the media wouldn’t either.
    Anovos is no where the name EA is.

mluder likes this.
  41. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

That’s true. I don’t mean that it will be a story of interest on CNN or something similar. However, with Star Wars IP and the opening of Star Wars lands in both Disney Land and Disney World, news outlets are putting out a ton of non-stories. I read a story today that was just published about how Disney was implementing an operation (including the project code name), for how they were using old school techniques to deal with crowd congestion at the new Star Wars Lands.

I started reading the story just to learn that the secret code named project basically consisted of not putting flower beds in the sidewalks to allow for more people to increase capacity. It was a joke of a story, but it was a story because it included both Star Wars and Disney!

42. TradeCraft

TradeCraft New Member

Yes, Chris Holm. I’m new to actually posting on this forum, so I’m not familiar with all the rules. If someone in the right position starts getting enough messages or emails, it can garner results. People don’t like getting a flood of messages over a company like Anovos from fans. Disney does care about fans, as the backlash from Last Jedi and Solo has shown. If nothing else, backlash may result in Anovos not receiving a new liscence. I assume they have a 10 year liscence, as EA Games has a 10 year liscence.

43. cinderbike

cinderbike Jr Member

I think all of us are 'concerned' at this point, no communication at all for Anovos lately. Sadly there are not many options for some of the things they produce so like you I'm screwed either way.

44. oblagon

Not true, RS makes great products and they have screen linage. For things like the TFA Tie Pilot helmet, Phasma, Kylo; there are people here on the RPF that make good kits.

Emperor Fett likes this.
  45. Emperor Fett

Emperor Fett New Member

These days it seems like there are fans making some Star Wars items more accurate and detailed than the licensed companies. Not sure how that’s possible.

46. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Simple actually, one group does it for the love of and wanting to own the most detailed and accurate prop, while the other group just does it for the money

Solos blaster and pepperbone like this.
  47. pepperbone

Abso-freakin-lutely.

Apollo likes this.
  48. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

And yet the people that started Anovos used to be part of the first group which is why we were all so excited about them.

Apollo likes this.
  49. Jagjaguwar

Jagjaguwar Well-Known Member

Two weeks since requesting a refund. Still not a peep.

They did send yet another email about a “sale” on “in stock” items, though. What a joke.

Have not used my silver bullet email option yet.

50. BobaFettSlave_1

BobaFettSlave_1 Well-Known Member

It really is a shame so see this getting so bad, and I feel its almost entirely due to the complete lack of communication and transparency/honesty on Anovos's part. I have only one pre-order with them for the boba pack kit which is slated for Winter 2018, and a good part of me is still optimistic.. I really do want Anovos to succeed, really I do; but that optimism is fading fast as they continue to do what they're doing. I'm genuinely beginning to get a little worried at this point. If they had just come forward about whatever issues are going on, I don't think this would be even a quarter as bad as this is getting. That's really all people truly want, just to know what the hell is going on. Instead we have complete radio silence, the censoring of any and all posts on social media, and what would appear to possibly be just outright deception at times, which is about the absolute worst thing they could do to themselves as a company at this point in time. Even if Anovos came forward now about whatever going on, laid it all down and didn't try to sugar coat anything about whatever the problems are, I don't think it would be too late to fix this and hopefully start to get things back on track, I think people would be mostly understanding and willing to work with them to come to a reasonable solution, but it basically has to be right now because the avalanche seems to be starting and once it does it'll be too late. What they're currently doing is only making things worse for them in the long run

On a somewhat related note, anyone watched the Netflix & Hulu documentaries on Fyre Fest that just came out? Cant help but draw some parallels to what seems to be happening here

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019