ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not me, lol. It would slow down their process with approvals, QC checks, price increases, license fees. I’d rather they kept doing what they’re doing and continuing to put out new and great quality items.

Star Wars Helmets likes this.
  2. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

Just about no one has gotten official updates for the items still listed as "Fall"

3. darthjones2

In this hobby, or what remains of it, the QC is often the fact that us psycho fans know exactly how a particular item, costume, prop, should be. And when it ain't right, we sound the alarms. Sure, oversight is great - but when it facilitates things.

4. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely.
    I put in an order for a RS Biggs and a RS Wedge helmet last week.
    Those guys seem like fans, I wonder if they ever approached D and LFL for a license?

5. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm guessing that Anovos is putting off updating these things because they are afraid it will trigger a massive amount of requests for refunds.

6. pepperbone

Most likely.

7. Spankuh

There is a good chance that a lot of this unshipped product is sitting in a warehouse in China. Anovos doesn't have the capital to pay for it, so they keep having 30% off sales and opening up new pre-orders to get cash.

Star Wars Helmets likes this.
  8. Dontdissthefett

Dontdissthefett Active Member

I’m as frustrated by Anovos’ issues just like everyone else but let’s not confuse things about the different producers. The common theme with these prop/costume producers that just can’t deliver is an actual license to produce and sell. RS makes great stuff, but they are not bound by the presumably immense cost and restrictions of dealing with licensing from Disney. If all of a sudden they, and the other costume/armor makers out there were actually able to afford the license I think we’d all see their prices go up, and wait times increase substantially. Not only would they be operating under the scrutiny of Disney, but they’d be operating on a brand new scale that I seriously doubt they’re prepared for.

I’m not defending how Anovos has handled the issues that they may or may not be dealing with, but to assume it’s “just them” versus Disney too that’s the problem may be a bit narrow-sighted

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  9. darthjones2

Well, stated. But I must say - when LFL went up against Shepparton and RS for violation of copyright I was emotionally on the side of Lucasfilm. In the U.S. they would have been found responsible for violation of copyright. But now, after having demonstrated the "proper" way of doing things re: Anovos/ Disney/ LFL I am SOOOOOOO very glad that RS won and can sell free and clear of legal threat. They have no need to get a license and should avoid it as long as it would interfere with their quality and productivity.

10. hampton

hampton New Member

I got a response from their support team when I asked when is the Kylo Ren helmet suppose to ship.

(ANOVOS Productions LLC)

Hello,
    According to what our production team tells us here in customer service we are on schedule to ship during this Season January 4 - March 19

Should there be any change they will update you via email.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we provide you with the absolute best and most actuate recreation we can.

Sincerely,
    ANOVOS

11. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I think RS is very smart by NOT having the license.

12. pepperbone

Of course. But there's "substantially long wait times", and then there's "the product you paid in full 20/24 months ago, that was a month or three away from shipping, has been pushed another three to six months".

The other thing - and I'm sure I'm missing something here - is that there is no shortage of licensed SW merchandise out there, some are on the expensive side too. How are those producers dealing with the D scrutiny and restrictions?
    Do props and costumes just happen to fall into an insane category of scrutiny?
    And no offense towards ANOVOS but, I mean, they make good products. Not OMG this thing was totally worth waiting 2 years for products.
    Is this even a Disney/LFL issue?

13. pepperbone

"According to what our production team tells us here in customer service..."
    Sounds like even customer service is saying "don't blame us!"

14. Dontdissthefett

Surely you’re not equating large, well-established multi-national companies like Hasbro and the likes to Anovos? A smaller company that contracts their manufacturing one job at a time?

I personally think they bit off more than they could chew, and didn’t realize a lot of things that went with having that license. They just weren’t prepared at all to keep up with Disney’s demands and the fulfillment of hundreds of thousands of orders for merchandise that had to be manufactured overseas by contract. No matter what, they are only exacerbating the problems by trying to pretend they’re not having issues and continuing to make promises that all ring hollow at this point. They are not the only high-end licensee that is late in fulfilling preorders.

When it comes down to it it’s still caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. The wait times have been outrageous, but to be fair no one told anyone they HAD to wait 2 or even 3 years before asking for a refund.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Regarding refunds ...... what are the bets, now that people start to ask for refunds more and more, how long it will be until the Anovos Company curl up on the floor and there i no more single refund or delivery?

I´m afraid that nearly all of them who are still waiting will loose all of their paid money. How is such handled in the US, will the Company owners be held responsible with all that they have, or can they say just "sorry" and walk away and try another business/job for their own income?

16. darthjones2

...handled by U.S. law or by U.S. customer?

17. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

By the law, of course.

I assume customers with pitchforks and torches on the street will not make a real difference.

18. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Absolutely 100% this!

darthjones2 - the LFL case was against Ainsworth/Shepperton only. RS was not involved in this case in any way, although like many fan-made suppliers has benefited from the outcome.

Cheers

Jez

russellsch and darthjones2 like this.
  19. darthjones2

Thanks for the clarification! :)

20. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

This has got to be one of the most subtly $hitty 'slopey shoulders' customer service responses I’ve read in a long time. It’s a smart-* way for Anovos cust svs to shift responsibility to another part of their business - a party you’re not actually able to communicate with.

Bravo to Anovos for taking a leaf out of EFX's "Guide to $hitty customer services" book!

Cheers

Jez

21. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder how big or successful you can get before you attract the attention of Disney of LFL? Or do they realize the hobby benefits from good unlicensed makers like RS?

Aren't you afraid the Empire's going to find out about this little operation and shut you down?” (Han Solo)

22. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been getting 1 or 2 emails a day about sales on things that are in stock.

Sounds like they need to infuse the biz with some quick cash.

All around things appear to not bode well for Anovos.

It looks like they are in serious trouble

23. pepperbone

No, not equating the 40-year relationship LFL has with Kenner/Hasbro with ANOVOS' relationship (I was mostly venting out of frustration last night).

….my latest annoyance with ANOVOS in the last couple of weeks stems from they're announcement of "a 2019 wave of products" while still delaying the "2017-18 waves"...of the same products. That really * me off to no end.

I need a drink....

24. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When Anovos first started out you know they and eFx shared booth space.

Looks like they paid attention to Brian and took detailed notes!

25. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, almost 100 pages. I'm surprised this discussion is still going.

26. Jagjaguwar

Jagjaguwar Well-Known Member

Yep, I did a live chat to ask for an update about the Blue Leader helmet that missed its December deadline. The customer support person’s response was, no joke, something like, “we are waiting on an update too, and should have more details this week or next.”

Then he mentioned that they’ll send out an email when that happens, and they’ll update something on the site. Also mentioned something about possibly changing the way they post updates to be more regular. I told them it would be good if they would give as much information as possible, and the CS person agreed.

So we’ll see what they say. I’ll be requesting a refund soon, most likely.

Star Wars Helmets and pepperbone like this.
  27. Dontdissthefett

I agree with you on that. It’s so frustrating to deal with them already that even pulling the trigger on something supposedly “in stock” doesn’t mean you’ll get it in a timely fashion.

Don’t even get me started on there exorbitant shipping rates and the “handling fee”. The last thing I did with them was preorder the TLJ FO Stormtrooper helmet on Force Friday 2017... after January 2018 and they missed the first shipping estimate I cancelled and preordered it through Bigbadtoystore. Same price at the time, no money down, and $4 shipping. If it never gets produced, no money lost. Since then they’ve raised the price, so if it does ever get produced their higher price and ridiculous shipping would put it like $125 or more over what I’ll pay through bbts

pepperbone likes this.
  28. darthjones2

I would not call it a discussion. It is an "Anovos should be grateful we have this forum to channel energies here instead of elsewhere" thread.

29. mluder

mluder Active Member

Yeah... What is up with the Han belts. I ordered a medium - I have a 34" waist. It was huge. So I requested an exchange for a small. It took me nearly 9 months to get it. Something like 3 months of that was waiting for it to ship even though I was told it was in their warehouse.

When I did get it, the finish looked completely different. My original one had a nice weathered look to it. the new one did not. Also - the holster leg strap is still way too big. I'm going to need to add a snap.

Cheers
    Steven

30. mluder

mluder Active Member

According to Google Maps this address is something called Nutrishop - Looks like a JambJuice smoothy type of place... It is most definitely not Anovos offices.

However a search of Anovos Simi Valley returned this address... 7699+QC Simi Valley, California

Something weird here as this is a residential home...

Cheers
    Steve

31. mluder

mluder Active Member

Here's a screenshot of the search result...

upload_2019-1-8_17-36-21.png

32. mluder

mluder Active Member

Here's the house... Who wants to go knock on the door?
    864 Pacific Ave
    Simi Valley.

BTW - If you do a search on that address it returns "Preferred Glass and Windows"

upload_2019-1-8_17-37-35.png

33. mluder

mluder Active Member

upload_2019-1-8_17-40-28.png

34. mluder

mluder Active Member

This may be out of date info as Preferred Glass shows a different Simi Valley Address on their website.

So this really may be the home of Anovos.

Cheers
    Steve

35. mluder

mluder Active Member

All of this said - The company was originally founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin so... I have no idea...
    Cheers
    Steve

36. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not surprised. I read elsewhere that somebody decided to visit Anovos in person to demand they finally refund them. When the person showed up to the address it was a UPS box (1197 East Los Angeles Ave Suite C301 Simi Valley, CA 93065).

Anovos is obviously trying to hide their phone number and address; very shady IMO sending money to a company that doesn't deliver and you have no idea where they are.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  37. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man, when it comes to doxing people that is when I step out. Good luck everyone....

38. mluder

mluder Active Member

Man, it's not doxing to give the address of a public company...
    I did a google search for the address of a company. It's not like I shared information that anyone else couldn't find. LOL

Cheers
    Steve

oblagon likes this.
  39. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

More shady behavior; screenshot from Rebelscum
    Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 8.55.03 AM.png

40. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a shame...

41. Spankuh

The last update they gave on the First Order TK armor kits was September 20th. In it, they stated that manufacturing was going to start in a month and that they wanted to have all orders shipped out by Celebration 2019. That would be this April. I would think that if manufacturing had started they would have sent out an update with that info. There are now three months left in their Winter shipping schedule. Doesn't look good.

42. Sean Hebein

The danger in what you are doing by posting that is we don't have any way to verify the information. The screenshot you posted looks like a residence. For all we know, the people that live there or work there have no idea who ANOVOS is. But, by you even suggesting and posting that information here, you can give people ideas and a very specific location. Anyone searching may be able to find that information that you posted but we shouldn't make it easier for people.

Wouldn't it be awful if someone was getting harassed that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this?

Even if someone that works for ANOVOS is at that location, do we really think that is their HQ? So you would be going to a residence and possibly involving their family in an unpleasant situation.

I get the frustration but this is a completely out of line way to get satisfaction.

FInally, ANOVOS isn't a public company, they are privately owned.

Sean

43. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed with what Sean Hebein said. Posts reported.

44. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

edit----- I just recalled someone posted something on another page, and just checked and it's the same as what I just posted. Sorry- not trying to steal anyone's posts lol

Per the BBB

upload_2019-1-9_14-14-10.png

and 110 complaints filed.

6 resolved (with no details on some).

And about 90 unanswered....

Anovos Productions LLC | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

45. patrickivan

Posting public information is not unethical.

Going to the residence outside of serving legal papers, that's would be unethical.

AJK001 likes this.
  46. Sean Hebein

I think in this context, the ethics are questionable.

47. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

There is nothing wrong with posting public information that is available to anyone that googles it and that others have already posted. What I find unethical and questionable is the way Anovos treats their customers.

48. patrickivan

Where's the malicious intent? Without that, there is no such dox in this box.

It's not like someone is suggesting anyone be hunted down for harm. THAT is unethical.

Wanting to get your money back and needing information on where they are to initiate a potential legal process? 100% fine.

You want to run a business that takes people's money, and not provide the services promised? Then you're fair game. Anything within the scope of the law, you're fair game.\

And to be clear, no one outside of those directly involved in running the business, should have their information made public. I dumped all over a 1:350 FB trek modeling page creator who SO desperately wanted his money back from someone, that he started posting the fellows wife and daughter's information. That's completely unethical, and I reported him for that. He had to remove it all.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  49. Jagjaguwar

Jagjaguwar Well-Known Member

Eh. I think it’s pretty normal for businesses to keep their actual physical addresses somewhat unknown, no? I work for the government, and using PO Boxes as our public address is what we do. In our case it’s just safer.

Still waiting on the promised email update about Blue Leader...

50. pepperbone

I'm gonna guess Summer/Fall 2019, which for me will mean refund.