ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IF that is true, the question is why. We know they've had to switch manufacturers at least once on some items. Could be that they lost a great deal of money with one (or more) manufacturers for several products, which they can't get back, and have since that time been trying desperately to get caught up and make back the difference, afraid (or unable) to be upfront with the community about what's going on. Pure speculation of course, but I very much doubt they have deliberate, ill intentions.

Over the weekend I received notice that the rather costly payment-plan item I had going is now paid-in-full. It'll be the last thing I buy until at least a couple of the things I have on pre-order actually start getting delivered.

2. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ive always been suspicious about the whole “change in manufacturer” excuse.

The fact that they spent the money on the prototype and was able to showcase them at cons, means they thought they were pretty much good to go. If not, then why advertise.

No manufacturer would take the time to cad, tool, and build a finished product without understanding the means to mass produce. Time, labor, raw materials, machinery usage, extended burden, and dunnage.

More like, Anovos didn’t do a request for quote. Once the prototype was built, it’ll cost this amount of money to create a run of whatever. The amount of money Anovos doesn’t have.

So....their stalling or they don’t know what they’re doing or both.

Rule number 1 in preorders (and this goes for Both anovos and EFX)

Never EVER attempt preorders until the final article has been approved and manufacturing is ready to produce.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  3. Whiskey

As for consumers...

Never purchase or preorder an item that’s labeled “prototype”

That’s the disclaimer that the “final product” isn’t approved to begin the run.

4. JOATRASH FX

That could very well be the case, but if so, where did all the money collected from pre-orders go?

From what I've heard, the change in manufacturer was for soft goods, not hardware. I would guess that the prototypes they show off at cons are made domestically. Among other things, there were problems with the Solo TFA leather jacket and also the Star Lord jacket. With the latter, the prototype was made with pleather, but they have allegedly (=not officially confirmed, but implied as much at cons and in messages) switched to real leather when they changed manufacturer.

You can get completely screwed by factories in low-cost countries because there is very little recourse or liability. The last time I had a couple suits made in Thailand, they had to redo the jackets and vests from scratch several times because they didn't follow my very clear instructions. I asked them to exactly duplicate a vintage 1930s suit, but they basically completely ignored everything I specified and made one using a rejected 1980s pattern. It was beyond horrible... and they made some unbelievable patterning mistakes! This was a well-known (though low budget) tailoring house , and they DID eventually deliver (several months late) a couple very nice suits, most likely because they did have a sense of pride, had a name to protect and I mentioned wanting to show off the finished goods on a well-known niche fashion website (fedoralounge). But they could just as easily have stopped answering my messages and I would have been left without anything.

When the Dredd costume group on Facebook came together for making leather suits and armor, it probably took an entire year of back-and-forth before the suits were even close to acceptable. And even when the shop finally started making them, there were serious problems with the finished items. (For example, I got an armor vest where all the plates were upside-down!)

Remember when HCG finally shipped the oft-delayed Aliens Pulse Rifles and most of the stock had drooping barrels? They probably lost quite a bit on those, and might've gone under if they didn't already have a buffer to cover it and if fans hadn't found workarounds to fix it.

If they can get away with it, many low-cost factories will not prioritize quality. I'm guessing Anovos put in a large order based on initial good impressions, then had to pull out when the results turned out to be disastrous, and lost the investment. Pursuing a case against a small outfit in a place like China or Pakistan when you're a 'small' company in the US or Europe is probably a lost cause. A couple setbacks like that, perhaps due to inexperience, and you'll be struggling to deliver.

Whatever the case, I have a hard time believing they went into it with the intent of just making a quick buck or * over the fans. These guys were already well-known in prop circles and initially it went pretty well. As has been suggested by others, they probably took on too much at one point, had one (or several) major setbacks and are simply struggling to recover.

I'm still hoping they'll get there eventually. Am I mad about the delays and lack of open communication? Hell, yes. I make that known to them, politely, semi-regularly. And I don't really cancel, because I've waited this long... I might as well wait a little longer, even if I'm taking a chance on losing quite a lot of money. But simply raging against them is not going to get the items delivered faster and may in fact do the opposite.

For those of you going to Star Wars Celebration and the various cons in the US... it would be very a very generous and helpful thing for the community if you stopped by the Anovos booth and spoke to them (politely) in person about all this and reported back to us here what they said. (I'd certainly do it if I had the opportunity, but they don't ever come over to this side of the pond.)

Apollo and Fett_Ish like this.
  5. Gerard2567

Gerard2567 New Member

To be fair though, it is rather difficult to get an honest manufacturer in China who can produce to specs you have provided. Some of these manufacturers are basically above the law and can get away with ripping you off in China, so you have to be extra cautious with them. So Anovos coming across a manufacturer that was dodgy is not a scenario we just pass off as unlikely.

Prototypes are likely made by anovos themselves, and are then provided to the manufacturers to recreate.

Other companies do the same, as in they usually make their own prototypes for pics/display purposes.

But is the manufacturer actually taking time to tool the products? Or are they putting little effort. I mean, I have seem some people who order a high-quality tool for injection molding, and receive a rough, underscale etc. of an excuse of "this is what you bought"

6. Whiskey

No doubt the owners of the companies have strong relationship bond’s throughout the prop community. As a matter of fact I encourage it. It makes for a better product. Knowing the fine detail. If Gino is the head of RND due to his contacts and keen eye, then by all means.

That being said, when you start a business that envolves your hobby, at some point you will have to separate yourself into business management.

As for the soft goods prototype, they did receive the sample. Correct? The images on their website suggests so. They did advertise and enable it to be preordered, correct?

As for manufacturers in other countries....they want to associate themselves with large companies with volumes like Walmart of say 150,000 units of their name brand camping tent or baby cribs. That’s why they love Nike, Hasbro, etc. Volume is where the money is at. Not start and stops for runs of 500 units. There’s a small profit margin. You basically get what you pay for. If you want to cut cost, then yes go to another manufacturer that will say they can do it for less. If you want a premium build, pay the price. Especially if that’s what you claim to deliver to your customers.

7. Whiskey

Gerard.

Absolutely they had to tool the product. That’s how they send the prototype. That’s what gets approved or not. It’s given the buyer (company) to say go or no go. That tool would be the basis for the production run. They would still charge you for it.

As the buyer, you paid for a product that has been spec’d out. If they get it wrong, they redline it and build another on in their dime. If you sent incorrect drawings, then it’s your dime. No company ever pays for the mistakes the vender causes

8. Fett_Ish

Fett_Ish Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful that I will see my LJ Trooper lid and FO kit on this boat.

9. Whiskey

Just to avoid confusion

The prototype is a base/idea. There can be 10 or 1000 prototypes. Whichever one is decided it will be approved and goes to the manufacture

The manufacturer then make articles. Also there can be many articles. More of practice runs. Whatever article is approved by the customer (Anovos). And used as the basis of production.

10. SenorChang

SenorChang Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Until any tangible evidence shows me where my money has gone, and why it went there, my opinion is that something dodgy is going on there.

I have no firm evidence to back that up, just my opinion

11. Sano

Sano Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In the Knights of Ren Costuming Group on Facebook, someone got an Anovos Kylo cape prototype, saying he got it from an employee since they get paid in props according to the comments. :/

12. OCDChad

OCDChad New Member

I agree with this. I'd say pay up for a quality manufacturer and raise the prices or whatever you need to do.

13. FuzzyWampa

FuzzyWampa New Member

Just got an email from Anovos providing a 40% discount to all in-stock items using the promo code MARDIGRAS40.

So that is 40% off only around 5 items....lol.

14. Sewbacca

Sewbacca Well-Known Member

Great deal sent in the email today, 40% off all in stock items...unbelievable.

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

.....and in stock shipping may take 30 days or longer.....:rolleyes:

Solos blaster likes this.
  16. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Wow 40% off sounds like a company who REALLY needs some cash flow....

nailuj, russellsch and AJK001 like this.
  17. mluder

mluder Active Member

- What problems did they have with the Force Awakens jacket? This is the item I'm waiting on...
    BTW - is it me or is the image on the product page different from the one they had a couple years ago (back when I placed the order)? I could be remembering incorrectly but it doesn't look as "good" as the one I recall.

- Did they ever make the Star-Lord jacket? I've never heard of anyone getting one and I though it was canceled altogether.

Last thing...
    I wonder if they had to change manufacturers due to the black market items that are leaking out the back doors of the factories? I've run accross a couple of items now from dodgy Facebook ads to posts in this forum that are for Anovos product for sale that was bought directly from the factory at significant discount. If that's going on (who knows why - maybe Anovos is unable to pay these factories so their recouping how they can) I can understand Anovos wanting to take the business elsewhere. Again - All speculation on my part.

Cheers
    Steve

18. JOATRASH FX

They've done that a few times over the years. Looks like they want to move a lot of odd stock that isn't going anywhere- odd sizes of the Abrams Trek movies and so on. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Galactica Uniform when they had a massive sale on those a couple years ago. (From the looks of it, the classic and TNG Trek stuff is still the bread to their butter. Not surprising since the quality on that has been mostly top-notch.)

I'm not positive, but I think it was something to do with the leather. Maybe the place they were using were not used to working with it, or maybe there were problems with sourcing quality hide that was legal/certified or something. As far as I can remember, the photos are the same. I think that they might've had a photo of the actual screen jacket the first time they announced it, though.

The Star Lord jacket is still being made and has not been canceled. There have been a lot of rumors surrounding it, but the current official-unofficial info (relayed directly by personnel at cons and hinted at in messages) is that they are making the leather parts out of real leather, after changing manufacturers. Currently due for Spring 2019, but who knows. I really hope it happens. (I would make it myself like I did with the original jacket, but doing all the rubberized screen printing for just one copy would cost a small fortune and I don't have the time.)

19. Apollo

I would hope so as those are the relatively easy ones to do

20. JOATRASH FX

Not that easy, or someone would've done it properly a lot sooner. How many really nice TWOK-era uniforms have we seen? Very few fan-made that look right overall, and none available commercially. Same with the TNG uniforms. And the patterns and fabrics of the TOS unis are pretty hard to replicate as well, even if those have come the closest to be copied before Anovos (and the velour versions have even been bested by fans if I'm not mistaken). It's one area where they have truly excelled; most of their premiereTrek efforts have come close to tailor-quality garments, going far beyond mere 'costumes'. I've made business suits, jackets and other things... and was especially impressed by the TWK jacket and the TNG tunic. The one true 'dud' I've seen when it comes to Trek was the first Picard 'Darmok' jacket, which was completely wonky. They messed that one up completely, as if they had used an extra-short pattern for them (like, two sizes too wide for the length of the sleeves). I'm hoping they will have fixed that with the new one in all-suede, as they have promised that they used a completely new and different pattern.

21. Apollo

On the TOS and Next Gen, it had been done before you just had to know where to look

In recent years James Cawley and Adam Grossguth did them, and Adams Velours were the best I have ever seen.

As far as the third season Tunics I was selling yardage of the same material dyed by the same place that did it for the Production years ago

Bill Hickey’s Next Gen tunics were so close to the Originals in color Michael Dorn wondered where we got it until he picked one up way different material was used by Bill

I was referring to those two iterations of the Franchise in my initial quote

Anovos Velours were horrible in material and sizing but their third season ones were VRY nicely done

22. JOATRASH FX

Would love to see photos of those TNG tunics if there are any. Anovos' TNG premiere was wonderfully put together- not just the color, but the wool fabric and stitching as well were near-flawless. (My only criticism would be that the shoulders were too wide, but luckily that could be adjusted.) I made a decent DS9 tunic for myself (now long-lost) with some high-quality gabardine back in the late 90s- that one wasn't too hard.

Compared to the TOS 3rd season (both standard and premiere) I agree... the velours were a drop in quality, probably in an attempt to fit a broader range of body types. But one of the main things they have done so well with the Trek stuff has been the overall build quality- very nice stitchwork with little pulling or unevenness... nice clean seams, no sloppiness. Fan-made stuff always tends to look "home made", even under the best of circumstances, when examined closely. It's disheartening to see that Anovos might be dropping in quality when it comes to that, if the Jyn Erso glove thread here on the RPF is anything to go by. It might simply be the difference between having them made in the US as opposed to China, at a much higher cost.

23. Apollo

Oh yeah the Premiere line of the TNG and TOS tunics were very well made in fact one can make the argument the TOS were better made than some of the Screen-used ones.

I was never really impressed with any of the TNG designs at first although that did’nt stop me from trying to figure out a way of lifting one when I was on Set lol

The Green wrap around was absolutely amazing all hand stitched and the fabric was awesomely re-created

Sad to see what Anovos has turned into

24. Fett_Ish

I was looking at the OT Star Trek Uniforms with the 40% off, but as I am "average man" nothing in my size. I cant get small enough and don't want to get Present Day Shatner just to wear his old shirt.

25. Apollo

With ANY Tunic from the TOS 9 times out of 10 you would have to have it fitted to you, just the nature of the beast

Fett_Ish likes this.
  26. ggriffaw

ggriffaw Well-Known Member

Are you sure these posts really have the product and they are what they claim to be? I have seen Anovos items on ebay with similar claims. They don't have any photos of the actual item, just stock photos from the Anovos website. I don't think the ebay listings were legitimate. One of them I remember was for the Praetorean guard helmet. The listing was probably over a year ago. The estimated delivery on the Anovos website is summer 2019. I can't believe any of these helmets were completed that long ago other than prototypes.

27. Whiskey

I know of weta Australia and praetorian blasters has got hold of Anovos stormtrooper kits direct from China a while back

28. mluder

mluder Active Member

I think one of the posts I saw may have been in the RPF Facebook buy sell trade page... They were legit Anovos stormtrooper kits. He had pictures showing them and it even included the poster that shipped with the originals. I doubt a knock-off would bother to reproduce that. The seller claimed they were the real deal that he was able to buy at discount directly from the manufacturer in China. I only know what he claimed.

EDIT - It was Praetorian Blasters... Here's the listing... Posterd Nov 10, 2018
    "Hey guys. I bought a bunch of Anovos Stormtrooper armor kits and premium assembled Stormtrooper armor from a distributor in China. I’ve received the first wave of armor. It’s going to be first come first serve as I bought everything she had. These are in the original packaging. I’ve opened 1 to check but they are new in box.

These are in hand and will ship on the next business day"
    45887829_1090178637826326_3604528106049634304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    vader45 likes this.
  29. ggriffaw

It is certainly more believable for a product like the ST armor that has already been released. I would be more concerned about items that have not officially been released yet.

30. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow....

31. ECOLI

ECOLI Active Member

Here is my two cents.
    The latest kick in the shorts has been a Vader helmet I put on payment plan, paid off, then come to find out it is no longer in stock and will be another year, Winter 2019 est., before my product will maybe ship. So me like the rest of you have been burned by the lack of communication and delays. Lets also not mention the latest received product (Jyn Erso Gloves) being of less than stellar quality. I now am believing Anovos to be running a FYRE festival scam on us. I just calculated the amount of money spent on their products and it is not a small amount. Lets also add the charges for shipping and handling (all of which are separate charges) that are incurred buying their product. Assuming someone has done this already but I am going to try and reach someone in management about this (probably to no avail) but I will try. I am sure many of you have also done the same thing, but at what point can legal action/business practices be brought to justice? I am also going to file my concerns with the Partial.ly the layaway plan company about this and see what more they can do if anything. I guess my real point here is what more can we do to help them or get our products? I will say I have loved their stuff and seeing this FYRE festival burn slowly in front of me is sad to see.

32. Whiskey

Thankfully, every one of my purchases has been through partial.ly.

Each time I decided to get a refund, I’d copy partial.ly in an email requesting the refund.

Refunds received within 4-5 days

33. ECOLI

ECOLI Active Member

Really, that is actually a relief to hear. I am keeping the faith as much as possible but me like the rest of you are probably getting to their wits end. Will monitor this chain to see if everyone starts bailing on Anovos. :)

34. cboath

cboath Master Member

I got an add a couple days ago for ST trooper armor outfits available for pre-order....They still haven't fullfilled anything for orders taken 3 years ago.

35. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

interesting...
    "There are many variations of the E-11 Blaster seen throughout the original Star Wars trilogy. While they are all called an "E-11," the design varies from film to film and even from scene to scene. In developing our first E-11 Stormtrooper™ Blaster Kit, we focused our attention on recreating the variant of this blaster used in the early scenes from the first film; Star Wars: A New Hope."

Attached Files:

36. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks cool. I'd go for it if I didn't already have a Hyperfirm E-11.

SB

37. hampton

hampton New Member

I finally heard back from customer service, after being told they had to speak the Shipping Manager. It looks like the Kylo Ren Premium Helmet - I paid in full in early January 2018 - is somehow being delayed to WINTER 2019 with no email or notification and an assurance that I would receive one at the latest of March 2019. I'm over it and getting a refund - this company is a Fyre Festival scam.

"From all of the information I have gotten from my manager it does seem
    like we don't have any Kylo Helmets going out with this shipment. The next
    shipment is estimated to arrive for our Winter season of this year. I truly
    apologize for the delay."
    Amazing how they opened another pre-order recently but, have yet to fulfill my order.

38. halliwax

Man... really want the e11... but with this thread there is no way in h3ll I’m preordering...

39. ggriffaw

Is the recently opened preorder you refer to for another product? If so different products may not have any impact on the production of other products. Anovos uses multiple factories for different types of products. Even if the recent preorder was for the same product, with the long lead times those preorders will probably be delivered long after yours.

Yes the delays are frustrating, but that has been the track record for many of their products. If paying up front for a product that may be delayed is a big issue, I wouldn't recommend placing a preorder with Anovos. Some vendors like Entertainment Earth let you place preorders but do not charge you until the product arrives.

A preorder placed with Anovos = a long wait with very likely one or more delays

However the comparisons to things like the Fyre festival are exaggerated. Anovos takes a long time, but they have delivered many products.

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  40. ggriffaw

If you don't mind waiting and most likely having a delay or two, there isn't much reason to expect issues. Generally the products I have received are fine quality wise. I know some people have had issues with quality but I don't think that is typical of their products. The biggest issue is the long wait and inaccurate shipping estimates.

halliwax likes this.
  41. halliwax

Thanks, hopefully they can start pumping the back orders out for all the other customers soon

My friend ordered a proton pack and it was delivered 6 days later, so it’s definitely different shops being used

42. Fett_Ish

I have the F-11 and it is a nice kit. Its simple, but light and seemingly easy to mod for lighting. I got it a week after I paid, but jumped on the "In-Stock" email I got. I want one of these as well, but will most likely wait until they are in stock as they are a year away and something else may pop up. Most likely will buy though as the 3D kits are more work to get up to snuff and the metal ones are too expensive (and heavy for my old bod).

43. ggriffaw

Do the parts of the F-11 need to be glued together for it to not easily fall apart? Is much trimming and cleanup needed?

44. Fett_Ish

There is next to no cleanup required, but glue is needed on most parts. One of the things holding me up on starting it is lighting and the scope. Everything but the barrel is sollid so I need to figure out how to hog out and drill through some parts. Masking for the paint job might be a bit of a chore too as it is Black & White. I did notice that the price has increased since I bought it as well.

45. jkno

jkno Master Member

There are more accurate E-11 out there than this Anovos version. Plus you won't have to deal with Anovos and their constant customer service problems

halliwax and Star Wars Helmets like this.
  46. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Well-Known Member

More accurate how?

47. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I think Anovos' chose the location "Bapty" version of the E11 for a couple of reasons.

Doopy doos already make a comparably detailed resin kit for a fraction of the price (£44). It's in a way better for being hollow so you can add a spring or electronics. It's based on the studio E11, death star E11 if you will.

The Bapty has the rear half at least solid aluminium so no need to make the thing hollow for accuracy. Easier to make.

If i wanted a bapty, I'd buy a Doopys, fill in some details and spend the other £100 on more props/toys/pizza.

halliwax and AnubisGuard like this.
  48. mluder

mluder Active Member

Well, I threw caution to the wind and jumped on the 40% off sale on in-stock items. I wonder how long it will take to ship? LOL
    Cheers
    Steve

49. Apollo

Keeps us posted!

50. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

So i just got some info that the shipping back log should see some significant improvement in the near future. Not sure how much i can pass along at this time but it was from a reliable source. I was under the impression that back logged shipping should start seeing light of day late this past week and ramping up the next couple weeks.

Id suggest giving them at least 10 (of the 14) business day lead time and if nothing follow up with CS