ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Sano

Sano Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Fett_Ish

Fett_Ish Well-Known Member

Just to kick the wasps nest, I just got an email about pre ordering a clone trooper phase 2 helmet, so apparently they're doing something. Full disclosure I do still have and have no intention of canceling my 2 preorders. I'll deal with what comes. Or not.

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  3. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

Delivery Estimate Winter 2020 is insane.

This line made me laugh:
    "When we approached this legendary helmet three years ago, we were faced with the most unique challenge to our replicative capabilities: There was no real helmet ever made to cast, 3D scan, or base our engineering from."
    They must not be aware of the 3D files used for the CGI in the actual movie or that MR made this helmet years ago from those 3D files.

DiggsBarklightr, halliwax and AJK001 like this.
  4. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol::lol::lol:

5. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Poor Entertainment Earth. I'm guessing they have no idea when they are getting their items either. I think they just change ETAs to the current month. Every product they are waiting on has an ETA of February 2019. Anovos - Entertainment Earth

6. cboath

cboath Master Member

Seriously doubt it. In no way would they pull the plug on Anovos before Efx.

7. cboath

cboath Master Member

I read that and was stunned. Hope incredibly stupid. Challenge?? In large part they originated here and we take a few photos and turn out top notch stuff. They have access to the actual studio 3D models and 'it's a challenge'??

8. Mara Jade's Father

If they are not in breech of contract, then I don't see how they could pull a license. Never personally dealt with an issue but I do know that usually the agreement is made to protect both parties. I don't think complaints are going to get their license pulled as long as the terms of the agreement are met.

When it comes to renewing the license, customer satisfaction might be a factor but only if a competing company can convince Disney/LFL that they can do better. The question would be, what other company could do better or would even want it take it on? It's not like there have been others to jump at it. The only other Hi-end Star Wars costuming was Museum Replicas and they only had a few offerings.

oblagon likes this.
  9. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

Exactly. If we want a new company, stop spending money at Anovos. Either that or hope a new company steps forward to bid for the license. Complaining to Disney will do nothing to remove EFX/Anovos.

10. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought Anovos said they were going to stop with the preorders and sell only in stock items?

11. Mara Jade's Father

Yes, I thought that too.

There is no problem with pre-orders. However IMHO, they should only do that once they have gone further enough into production to predict an accurate ETA (give or take 30 days). I seem to remember that the longest I had to wait on MR was a couple months and that was a planned ETA. Not sure if that is true or not, it has been a while. But I do know that I was never upset with MR because of long wait times.

Jediwannabe likes this.
  12. pepperbone

Good point.

13. ggriffaw

ggriffaw Well-Known Member

Maybe no one with a business operations background get involved with high end props because it isn't a good business to be successful in. Development costs are high for the volume of sales.

It seems like a business you get in because of having a passion in the field, not because it is a great return on investment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    LTsmash1200 likes this.
  14. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Well-Known Member

That line is poorly worded and misleading. Later on they confirm they started with digital from production assets. Screenshot_20190215-020943_Chrome.jpg

15. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

While one might question the wording, they are correct. There were no physical helmets made for the films, so unlike their usual approach of scanning original assets, there was nothing to scan. Pretty sure everyone who knows anything about the movies know that the 3D models (not scans) used in the movie have been floating around in the community for years and years. I am not as sure as you seem to be that the MR helmets were based off those models, but that is neither here nor there with regard to this discussion.

When you couple the statements you posted with the bullet points Davy Jones posted it seems pretty obvious they used the original models as the base of their helmet.

Sean Hebein and LTsmash1200 like this.
  16. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, $600 is a lot for just a helmet. I got my complete OT TK kit back in the day for $650. Couldn't imagine spending $600 for just a helmet...

SB

Fett_Ish likes this.
  17. Fett_Ish

Fett_Ish Well-Known Member

See, this is my problem. I think that they (prop business like Anovos and RS, not people doing runs in the JY) ask too much. Maybe they cant sell enough quantity to "mass Produce" and get them cheaper, I don't know, but I think it is more "people are willing to pay'. There is no way that helmet isn't marked up 200%. Licensing, R&D, I get it, but if it costs $300 a helmet to produce then the market for people to buy it is already small at $350 and at that price more than a handful need to be sold to make a viable business (not a hobby). At 600 if you sell 100 thats 30 grand and that is what I think gets us where we are.Larger than needed markups for the sake of making a "premium" product that could be sold cheaper Multiply that kind of markup/profit over all the products and it becomes real money. I am not bashing as I would pay alot for the things I really want, though I enjoy putting things together so completed props arent really my thing, but I honestly think nearly all prop replicas are far overpriced and will continue to be because of a rabid fanbase that shells out the cash for the things we covet. I could be way off base, but I think there is something there, though I realize I am generalizing a bit here.

18. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Most helmet makers in the Projects section charge 500+ for a finished helmet and that does not include any padding etc on the inside.

19. Synz314

Synz314 Active Member

It's not just Anovos. That's the good thing with building a Stormtrooper costume. They're relatively cheap when it's just a bunch of plastic pieces.

20. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To be fair, the $600 helmets are (from what I understand) fiberglass, not vacuformed ABS pulls. There's a big difference in both quality and time-to-build. A fiberglass piece will take many times longer to build and finish. The 'premiere' helmets also have greeblies machined out of metal and not cast resin. I don't know how the other, newer, helmets fare, but comparing the premiere Kylo to the standard TFA TK (which cost half as much), the difference in build quality is pretty big. The TK feels like most ABS pulls... there's some flex... the hardhat-liner inside isn't particularly impressive or comfortable and so on, whereas the Kylo is nicely lined inside and comes with extra padding so that you can tailor it to your comfort. It also just feels more like a 'real' helmet overall, despite being made out of plastic. Six hundred dollars is still a lot of money, no question, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the fiberglass helmets cost almost as much (or more) to produce as an entire vacformed TK suit.

Anovos still have a huge communication problem though. I had a fairly long chat with one of their customer service reps the other day about the whole thing. They're aware that they have problems... and promised for really-real that updates would be coming soon on the various delayed items (and suggested that the Kylo suits, which I'm not interested in, are actually finally close to being delivered)... but yeah... we'll see. With Celebration just around the corner, and doubtless a lot of EP9 stuff in the pipeline, they're going to need to gain back a lot of trust at this point to get that stuff moving, and the best way to do that is to start delivering and communicating with all those who have pre-orders in already.

21. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

We'll I called in the bluff, and have been waiting on a refund of >$4100 of all pre-orders since last July after waiting for 6 months on a refund for a couple select items. Since last JULY, despite many seemingly sincere attempts to rectify. I think I'm on the fooled me once, fooled me 11 times.

I hate to go to Celebration in Chicago just to use a 4 day pass to protest for four days.

22. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

Sorry to hear you're another one of the stories where Anovos has stolen your money. I would suggest you contact the California attorney general and put in a complaint to get your money back.

23. FastballSpecial

FastballSpecial Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Waiting since October for a refund request. They have stopped replying to me.

24. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

pepperbone and Solos blaster like this.
  25. Don93

Don93 Well-Known Member

I think one thing that is frustrating is we saw many costumes Anovos had on display and were taking pre-orders for at the last celebration which I doubt will be delivered before Celebration Chicago. :(

26. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Just going to repost my own posts from early Dec. Consider this a final warning.

27. pepperbone

ANOVOS is proud to celebrate the forthcoming shipment of the
    STAR WARS Sandtrooper Helmet Accessory
    with this new opportunity!

Celebrating the completion of our first production run of the popular Sandtrooper helmet variant, we are re-offering this product to those who had missed out the first time!

Having ordered the First Wave of this, I should be excited. However, I'll just wait a bit.

SithSim likes this.
  28. Weldon

Weldon New Member

It’s my belief that, under most normal circumstances, a business actually completing and shipping a product should not warrant ‘celebration’. It should be a regular occurrence.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    darthjones2 likes this.
  29. Jagjaguwar

Jagjaguwar Well-Known Member

Yep, and as far as I’m aware, “forthcoming” is a fancy way of saying “hasn’t happened yet.”

The helmet I ordered a year and a half ago was was “forthcoming shipping” or “shipping soon,” too, right up until it wasn’t, and was delayed multiple times.

That being said, I hope they do actually ship one of these pending items. We’ll see.

30. ggriffaw

They added a photo of the Clone Trooper removable faceplate. It is different than the fan made design.

31. ggriffaw

Finished fiberglass helmets are expensive. The Anovos Vader has a similar price to several fan made fiberglass Vaders. I'm not saying the quality is the same though.

The manufacturing process for a fiberglass helmet is way different than vacuforming and rough cutting some plastic. The TK kit did have a finished helmet, but it is much easier to build than a fiberglass helmet.

32. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Well-Known Member

That's a clever design. It means the thin white brow area wont be in danger of sagging like on the fan ones with the full removal face.

33. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The majority of the helmets in my collection are over $600....

Solos blaster likes this.
  34. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, and all I'm sayin' is that it's a bit too pricey for me.

SB

35. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

BIG TIME. HUGE. Wow, did you just sum it up - under any circumstances. Myself, I have a different family life from when I ordered from Anovos. And when my product gets here, if people ask, I am going to say that I made it myself.

Unfair? Go ahead and say it: I will jump down your throat with my pants off.

36. OCDChad

OCDChad New Member

I think it's because we don't have many options, especially if you are looking to get them Rebel/501st/etc approved. Just think about many people in the world make a trooper/Vader/etc helmet that's ready to wear and meets the standards of those groups. And of those makers, how many are buried in some forum or facebook group that you have to register with to find contact information?

Fett_Ish likes this.
  37. OCDChad

OCDChad New Member

I would guess it would have to be a company that primarily makes their money from something else with a screen accurate/high end division.

Fett_Ish likes this.
  38. JOATRASH FX

Ok, so I had a bit of news the other day when chatting with customer service again. Apparently there's a boat with a shipment of stuff coming in March... due in around a couple weeks. The odd thing is that they couldn't tell me if the item I was asking about (due by the end of the current 'season') was actually in that shipment. (On the one hand it seems odd that they wouldn't demand to notified on the actual goods as they were shipped, on the other... knowing how sketchy communication can sometimes be with low-cost factories, I can't say I'd be completely surprised if that were the case.) We'll know in a couple weeks I guess...

39. Revvek

Revvek New Member

Chinese New Year holds up things around this time of year, so that boat of stuff probably sat around for a month... I hope my helmet is on it! :)

40. darthjones2

I was also told there is some kind of boat/ ship out there with everything on it. And it was supposed to arrive before March. Now it is due two weeks into March. It is of course the slowest ship ever built. Maybe 4 knots.

And Chinese New Year - in the U.S. we have at most a week of football and parades. It does not affect business more than a few days. So why does Anovos keep waving the "Chinese holiday" flag as if it accounts for at least a month of national shutdown over there.

Continually frustrating.

41. JOATRASH FX

Well, it makes sense. From what I've read, the celebrations (and accompanying vacation time) in China can last at least couple weeks in mid Feb and a container ship can take 3-4 weeks or longer, so mid-March rings true. I'm part of a kickstarter that mentioned a delay due to it as well. (In comparison, here in Sweden a large part of the country- basically anything that isn't 'services', like manufacturing, industry and so on, kind of shuts down for the entire month of July. It used to be called "the industrial vacation" when all the plants shut down simultaneously for practical reasons. So if I've ever needed something machined during that time, I've been screwed and have had to wait!)

But yeah... we'll know in a couple weeks...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  42. Mara Jade's Father

Either way, this just an extension of their main problem.

Either they have poor abilities to communicate to their manufacture which is Anovos fault. They chose the manufacture therefore it is up to set up communication of what gets shipped.

They should also have a local rep on the Anovos payroll representing their interest and also keeping confirmation of quality, production, and shipping issues.

So customer service is either ill-informed or lying in order to customers to keep them from cancelling orders. Either way, not good.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    AJK001 likes this.
  43. Weldon

Weldon New Member

Add poor abilities to communicate to thier customers, which is exacerbated by total inability to meet production goals, and deadlines creating inability to believe anything they do say!

44. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Same with my AT-AT lid....

45. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Anovos know very well what’s in that shipment - it’s not like the factory in China says "ummm we're shipping you loads of stuff but we didn’t bother to do an inventory/manifest.

However, It might well be that there’s incomplete runs within the shipment- so they don’t want to reveal anything until they’ve got the stock in hand and know where each item is going to.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt here!

Cheers

Jez

oblagon likes this.
  46. JOATRASH FX

Honestly, after reading about the things Master Replicas had to deal with, being involved with the whole Dredd suit effort (leather+armor made in Pakistan, not China) a few years ago and experiencing some things first-hand myself (having things made in Thailand and Hong Kong)... a situation like that wouldn't surprise me at all. The absolutely mind-boggling incompetence of some manufacturers is hard to believe unless you've actually been subject to it.

I would certainly demand a manifest if I were having things made, but if it wasn't supplied, there's not much to do except change factories as Anovos have apparently done before, which is probably one of several reasons for the current situation. So it could be either way at this point.

47. darthjones2

I was told that there are incomplete runs within the shipment.

Star Wars Helmets likes this.
  48. Whiskey

Whiskey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They know exactly what’s arriving, where, and on what day.

It’s all in the BOL. The Chinese manufacturers most likely accepted a % bank transfer deposit for production and expect the remaining payment upon arrival. There’s no way anovos wants a blind shipment. Unless whoever is in charge of their logistics is clueless in business management

China will only build what’s on ANOVOS’ purchase order, that being said, the fact that Anovos is only receiving small portions at a time automatically tells us, they don’t have the funds to order the complete demand from preorders.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    AJK001 likes this.
  49. darthjones2

RIGHT - that is so why it is so totally infuriating that they use language like "we anticipate" for late Feb. JUST SAY THE TIME PERIOD YOU KNOW IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Stupid company. As long as they use "we anticipate" and "estimate" in any sentences I will never order from them again.

Liars - including anyone associated with the company who does not completely open up to customers about what is going on. Silence is lying at this point.

AJK001 and halliwax like this.
  50. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

Exactly, Chinese manufactures are not going to just put anything in a container to ship overseas. They are shipping only whats been paid for and Anovos knows exactly what they are paying for.
    This has been their MO since the beginning. Spotty release of products.

AJK001 and Star Wars Helmets like this.