ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

That's what I did for my refund. I kept annoying them till I got it in about 2 weeks.

2. Weldon

Weldon New Member

8-12 weeks is more than enough time, if you wait that long, to eliminate a lot of people from using the option of disputing the charge with thier credit card issuer or bank. Although I’ve found there can be workarounds with some issuers, if you press them a bit, many do not normally dispute issues older than 90 days.

I’m sure, too, that Anovos must realize a large number of purchases are emotional/impulse buys, and they probably would get a larger than typical number of cancellations due to buyers remorse even if they hit thier production/delivery estimates.

3. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My opinion is that they hope the product comes in and you will decide to just receive the product instead.

Filmfan1138 likes this.
  4. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I predicted that Anovos doesn't have money sometime ago. My guess is they are performing check kiting to cover the refunds

5. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The 12-weeks thing could also be a sales tactic. A lot of cancellations of the type of stuff Anovos sells stem from short-term money needs- a sudden, unexpected bill pops up... car breaks down... another 'impulse buy' prop turns up on eBay. By delaying the refund, Anovos will likely have a lot of people think twice and just keep the order.

6. oblagon

7. oblagon

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

At this point I blame Lfl/Disney as well, for allowing this to continue

Solos blaster and Sewbacca like this.
  9. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

Hey did anybody here get a luke ESB belt from a later wave? Just curious .... I am curious if they infact fixed the holster strap? And humorously asking if they shipped too...

I'm waiting on a replacement belt... i have a complicated history and expected a long delay with it but my patience is wearing thin at this point.

I also find it very disturbing that the live chat has been AWOL for 2 weeks now...

10. oblagon

Found this email for the CEO for those still trying with refunds. joe@anovos.com.

Saw in the facebook group that Anovos is spending a lot of time banning people, removing comments and cutting off communication with customers/reviewers.

Also saw a comment that confirms Anovos isn't paying their vendors.
    Myron Stapleton Its hard to say. One problem with anovice is that they don't make anything. They hire vendors for everything. Having a little inside on the subject I can tell you a little how anovice treats its vendors. They would make an order, and tell us when they wanted it. Problem was is we would never start the order until we received the down payment for the invoice. Anovice never paid until after the date they wanted the shipment.​

11. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ugh...

12. Apollo

It is only a matter of time........

13. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well it's their own fault if they lose the license. Honestly I say good riddance. Many other people have been banned from communities like theRPF for far less and I think it's high time people stop cutting them any slack.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:04 PM
  14. oblagon

Yup, my thought as well.
    It's not Disney/LFL, changing factories, safety issues, packaging issues; it's that Anovos doesn't give a * and is just sitting on/spending peoples money until they decide to get around to making something. Probably only when they get a rush of cancelations do they decide to start production.
    Not to mention the people who have been banned because as Anovos put it, they didn't want people to be scared off from making more pre-orders.

15. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

I believe the bad game license holders (Sorry, I don't know the game world) just got renewed and/or Disney's support. EFX is beyond despicable and they still have their license.

Why does anyone think Anovos is losing theirs?? I have been waiting to hear that EFX lost theirs for years, even before they started scalping their own products.

Disney has no soul,...accept it.

I wish they would lose the license but I see nothing to indicate it. In fact when I was sure EFX would lose it they picked up the sequels license if I remember correctly. Anovos isn't going anywhere I am afraid. I hope I am wrong.

Sorry, but even if they do we would just get another crappy company.

16. oblagon

In all fairness Disney is a business and wants to make money on their licenses. If no one else is bidding for the SW prop license, Disney isn't just going to sit on it without making money.
    The problem isn't Disney/LFL; it's that no one wants to make SW props and bid for the license. If someone did EFX and Anovos would lose it.

17. Apollo

Yeah but you see this is why I AM blaming The Mouse AND hold it accountable for Anovos’s clearly corrupt business model.

As long as the cash keeps flowing Disneys way who cares how the Licensee is * over the customer

18. oblagon

IMO your anger is misdirected; Anovos is the one creating the situation. Again you can't fault Disney for being a business; they can't give the license to anyone else because their is no one else.

19. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

And that is why people keep giving their money to companies like Anovos and EFX. I was thrilled when I learned that Anovos had gotten the Star Trek license and they had a long list of props they were going to make from the TNG movies, I think this was in 2015 or 2016, and then nothing but silence and you can't even find a mention of them on their site anymore. Since they hold the license no one else is able to make props for Star Trek unless they do like The Wand Company and make it into a remote or bluetooth device that also happens to be beautiful replicas.

20. Apollo

No anger, just putting the blame squarely where it lies.

At some point the Licensor does and has to take some of the blame for a Licensees actions.

It has happened before and things were done to bring the Licensee back in line, not going to name names some on here know who it was.

That time has long passed with Anovos.....

21. oblagon

Again Disney doesn't want to have a license with no one paying for it.
    If NO ONE wants the license other than Anovos and EFX what exactly do you expect???
    Being on the side of a vendor licensors don't have the power people think they do, other than pulling the license their's nothing they can do.

22. oblagon

Other people can put in a bid for the license once it's up for renewal. Problem is no one wants it

23. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

No matter what .... if Disney accepts the only company willing to pay for the license, knowing that this company * the customers - then Disney is directly responsible for that.

24. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How is it that the high-end licensed prop and costume market is littered with failure upon failure, for decades now? Is the model unworkable? Is the license so cost prohibitive that it makes generating product at a profit (or even break even) at a saleable price, impossible? It seems like whenever another one of these companies opens with promises of "screen accurate!" and "best ever!" it's a countdown until it's participation in fraudulent behavior and inevitable self-destruction.

25. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

Well if Disney truly cares about the fan base they would not let this continue. Plain and simple black and white. But they care more about the mighty dollar as the new movies suggest. They make billions of dollars on other franchises so I'm sure they can afford to pull the license and sit on it for a while. Hasbro is still making and releasing SW product at a much higher rate with more profit so Disney is still cashing in on the property.

Disney only cares about the few extra bucks and not us. They have some blame in this. They are at the head of the whole cycle and can dictate what overall happens. How can they not be responsible for some of the blame regardless if no one else wants the license?

We also have to take into account when all of this has happened AFTER DISNEY BOUGHT LUCASFILM. Has any of this happened Under Lucas' ownership(there may be a couple of small instances)?

26. stonky

Master Replicas, for one.

27. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

They have or had a FAR superior track record then eFx and Anovos will ever have. You can not deny they delivered way more products in their hay day. MR never was the complete disaster these two companies are.

28. stonky

Be that as it may, two things are undeniable:

1. MR failed.
    2. Customers were left without paid-for merchandise or refunds.

29. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

So one example for the star wars license, though not a true apples to apples comparison, is LEGO. The license is quite expensive and at one point LEGO considered dropping it because it nearly doubled the price per brick for a set... normally 10 cents per piece to about 20 cents a piece. And they had a difficult time turning a profit at first due to timing of LEGO sets to movies. I remember a lot of complaints in the beginning that sets were hard to find and again they were very expensive for number of pieces. It took about 5 years for them to settle into the license, timing of release, demand, and design that met fan and LEGO playability rules. Though the sets are still expensive for the pieces you get.

That said, LEGO is not props... but I'm sure some of the same issues apply, but my main point was the high cost for the license... Im still not sure how people in the US are able to buy from RS props or Ainsworth since the US courts said it was copyright infringement. I thought the UK courts said Ainsworth could only sell outside the US... anyways...

Though in Anovos' case they clearly rely on too much outsourcing and poor contract payouts that have ruined their own timelines... per the posts Oblagon found. And poor communication of said delays.

Currently they are suffering from shipping delays for in stock items taking 30-45 days to ship to due what I was told was due to processing an influx of orders and a small shipping staff. I did find out today that some staff is only part time.

Im no expert, so if my facts are off please let me know...

30. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

I truly think it's because the prop collecting market is very small compared to other hobbies/markets. The license is expensive which drives the price up and that lowers their customer base and income from the already small pool of prop collectors. I have never ran into a prop collector outside of these forums or bigger conventions. I haven't meet a Joe Shmoe who collects these kinds of items. Every time I discuss prices people think I'm insane.

I believe that's why official businesses can not flourish in this kind of business venture. All companies that had higher prices like The Prop Shop have went under.

The masses are not willing to pay up and the companies can't sell any cheaper with out losing profit. It's a lose lose situation.

If you really delve into the Fan makers you will realize that most of them do this as a side hobby as they make very little money. It's expensive to make props and costumes with very little people who are willing to pay.

Psab keel likes this.
  31. Dontdissthefett

Dontdissthefett Active Member

Also Hasbro is not in comparison to Anovos as a licensee a model for how it’s done right. Toy sales are in decline, and to be honest, toy sales to support movies like Disney has been putting out are in decline over that too. The cost of raw materials has continually gone up, and Hasbro has been using older toolings for repacks, even going so far as trying to push lower articulation figures to try and keep costs down. The profit margins on action figures are slim, probably around 10-15% if they’re lucky. Even with declining sales, their customers are the retailers so they’re moving much more $10 product than Anovos could ever move of theirs. I really think that the specter of a high-cost license hanging over the heads of a producer in a high-priced, very niche market is making even the most organized company have to fight an uphill battle to try and come out successful

32. Psab keel

I've said it many times that I don't know how anyone could make a sustainable, livable profit off of making costumes and props whether they have the license or not. The fact of the matter is, higher costs of materials and a discerning collector's eye are what makes this such a difficult market to be in. Time and money are the major factors that have held this property back because the demand is so high and in order to keep the level of quality up it takes time to deliver. How many companies have had the license and have either lost it or folded altogether?

Icons
    Master Replicas
    Museum Replicas Limited

I also think a lot of it is due to poor leadership at Lucasfilm. Say what you will about George Lucas as a writer or director, but the man had a vision. He had a unique ability to hand pick innovative people to execute that vision and that meant being able to build companies and market products that the fans wanted. He also knew how to build anticipation with his audience by spreading his products out over longer marketing windows. The man literally released the OT how many times in 20 years before he finally returned to the director's chair? The guy is a genius business man.

I think the hectic release schedule of the new films and Disney's pressure to recoup their initial investment forced companies like Anovos to try and keep up with the demand for new product with each release which meant that they simply couldn't deliver within their projected windows. Though that's not entirely Disney's fault and had Anovos structured their business model better and limited the number of offerings (and delivered them on schedule) they could have slowly built up their product line over time. Rather than rush out the empty promise of new products and fail their customers they could have just followed through with a small number of items.

I think they just bit off more than they can chew. Plain and simple.

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  33. stonky

The only thing that all of these failed/troubled licensees have in common is their “partnership” with LFL - one has to wonder if that isn’t the common thread, and if the licensing fees in the relatively small/high-priced high-end replica costume and prop market make it a non-starter.

34. oblagon

The thing these failed licensees have in common is they're run by people who can't run a business
    You guys make me laugh, painting Disney/LFL as this evil presence that wants businesses to fail. I've worked with both and they're nothing like that, but people will believe what they want despite reality.

pepperbone likes this.
  35. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to wonder if Anovos would be better off not selling directly to customers but simply to approved vendors. It's not a fix for production timelines and quality issues. But it seems like it would eleviate them of customer service being overwhelmed with questions about timetables, refunds, etc.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM
  36. wtyler3

wtyler3 New Member

I just got a notice for the FO tie pilot helmet in stock.. Interesting note in the message is "There are no future production runs planned for this in-stock item:.....First time I can remember this in the email...

37. stonky

Never once did I say that LFL wants these enterprises to fail (I never mentioned Disney - and yes, I've worked with both as well) - just that the licensing scheme may make this narrow enterprise cost-prohibitive. I don't think that there's anything nefarious or underhanded happening on behalf of the license holder (LFL).

38. oblagon

Your comment reminded me of the attitude that the licensers are these evil dark figures making poor Anovos fail. When as I said the reality is that Anovos is choosing to crash and burn through their ineptitude.
    I wish someone would get the SW license that runs it like a business instead of fans that have no idea what they are doing.

39. The Searcher

The Searcher Well-Known Member

I have to agree with oblagon, Disney is NOT at fault in this situation. For example, guess who’s been waiting over a MONTH for an “In Stock” Ghostbusters proton pack kit. Also, I bought a $20 leather book. A LEATHER BOOK, not even a prop replica, and many moons later, I haven’t been issued a refund for the lack of shipment. I’ll just try to get a refund for the kit because the whole situation is simply atrocious.
    And for those earlier commenters saying that the agreement is LFL based, I don’t think it is. Why else would the be selling MARVEL replicas if the agreement wasn’t with Disney as a whole?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 4:53 PM
  40. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

My message from them for Kylo costume says the same thing - no more future production. (not that there has been current production but I digress)

41. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

Anovos definitely has its own issues that it has to resolve ASAP in order to survive 2019. I don't think that there is a LFL or Disney cabal that seeks to sabotage it licensees. If Anovos' "shipping delay" doesn't correct real soon collectors will start (if not already started) to believe stock is being held for liquidation/asset accounting for ... um .... lets just say "financial restructuring"

I am curious if Disney or LFL has a say in merchandise options as part of the license ... like if Disney/LFL said in order to promote R1, TLJ or Solo you need to have x% of related product, forcing Anovos to spend capital on R&D and so forth... R1 did well, but TLJ did not and reaction to TLJ hit Solo hard ... I don't recall any Solo offerings from Anovos which I find rather odd. Of course this is highly speculative on my part, but if true that may have exacerbated the existing issues at Anovos... again this is completely conjecture on my part.

Anyways... I hope things turn around for Anovos, success for them would be good for licensed star wars props and would in some way be a success for this community...

42. Psab keel

My comments are merely speculation on the situation. Anovos simply just doesn't know how to run their business. My guess is that they took on more than they could deliver and now the truth is coming out.

43. oblagon

When I did work for Revell, McDonalds and Gum it was a single license for anything SW and Disney/LFL didn't care at all what was produced (ie if OT, PT, etc). That's just my experience; Anovos could certainly have a different agreement.

The fact that they haven't offered anything from Solo, Last Jedi, Episode 9 and are making a point to say their will be no more future production speaks volumes about their future as a company.

pepperbone likes this.
  44. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To me it's clear that their relationship with the SW brand is over.
    They're likely obligated to fulfill all outstanding orders, then whatever happens; it's not Disney/LFL's problem.

45. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

To clarify they did offer stuff for R1 and TLJ, but not Solo.

I don't know how well the TLJ stuff sold, but based on social media comments I guess not well. The TLJ FO trooper bucket was well liked but not much else.

If they have stuff for Ep IX, we won't see stuff til after the trailer i would suspect. R1 and TLJ stuff was announced only a few months before the movies were released... so personally I dont think lack of Ep IX stuff at this point means anything... but I do see your point. The xwing vest sold out super fast and when asked about more they had no plans... that I thought was very odd... such a good piece... glad i got one.

In my opinion, the bulk of the sales comes from OT based stuff. R1 (heavily based on OT) which had new stormy buckets and more classic style xwing helmets were ordered fast... delivered.... well... ??

But the Ep VII and VIII didnt seem to hit that same cord, whether it was nostalgia or aesthetic I dont know... but Anovos is back to a focus of OT stuff.

46. oblagon

Kal Argos Forgot about the TLJ TK helmet, it was offered so long ago and for R1 I know they put up the Blue Squad helmet and Jyn Erso costume but I think that was it?
    I would have thought Anovos would have followed the toy companies tactic of getting stuff into production and hyped for the new SW movie, but again they could have a different agreement.

I'm going to be an old man shaking his fist at a cloud here; but I miss MR. Good product at good prices and they released a ton of stuff in their time. At least we have RS props.

Psab keel, AJK001 and Solos blaster like this.
  47. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

I liked the way MR did business in that you didn't pay a penny until it was ready to ship. None of this crap of giving a company an interest free loan for a couple of years and then hoping you get your product. They may have had problems towards the end but I believe that had more to do with Corgi not knowing how to run a prop replica company.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Psab keel and Mara Jade's Father like this.
  48. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

There were also Director Krennic outfit pieces. I ordered them all almost two years ago and have received nothing despite some of the pieces listed on the website as "in stock".

Back in October I received an email from them asking me to double check my shipping address because the pants would be shipping soon. They never did, and I never received any followup email from them. It wasn't until I was scanning through the website that I saw a note that they decided all Krennic pieces would be shipping together. Would have been nice to have actually been told that instead of waiting for nothing. I'm expecting the inevitable that IF they arrive, they would likely all be mismatched sizes.

Also, the excuses about working on packaging are BS. I got a full snowtrooper ensemble from them, and while I was completely happy with the product, all the pieces were thrown together in a plain, unmarked cardboard box that was roughly hand cut to size. There was no labeling or customization of the box in any way. I don't care at all about packaging since it came to me safe enough, but the excuse about them working on packaging has no ground when the packaging might as well have been done by some guy on eBay.

AJK001 likes this.
  49. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yikes I'm over Anovos also but let's stick to facts. Disney hands out licenses that cover particular avenues. The history has been pretty apparent on how the licenses are split between companies like Anoves, eFx, Hasbro, Bandai etc. Conflating these things does not really help the situation.

50. oblagon

Earlier I posted a quote from one of the vendors Anovos hired; they have a habit of not paying their vendors until way past the deadline they needed it by. So all the excuses from them are just BS. The box sounds like them just cutting corners, my guess is they spent the money on something else so they just threw something together.