ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I am so excited to share this, as it is great news for Star Wars fans but also a win for this community, as dgasser and @gotmaul, the founders of ANOVOS came out of this community! As many know, Museum Replicas held the high-end Star Wars costume license for years, promised much, and delivered little. They lost the license last year and after an insanely long negotiation, ANOVOS was able to pick the license up! They already have a number of projects in the works and are showing off some very early prototypes this weekend at C2E2.

To me, this is one of the greatest things we see in this hobby; fans like us, who started right here, doing what we love, and eventually taking that passion and being able to make a livlihood from it! From Adam Savage, to Volpin Props to ANOVOS and dozens and dozens of others, my hat is off to you! Congrats on living the dream!

Click here for a full press release:
    Channel Han, Luke and Darth Vader with official 'Star Wars' costumes - CNET

Click here to check out there existing lines of high-end Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek costumes!
    ANOVOS Productions LLC | ANOVOS Productions LLC

Here they are, purposefully failing at being coy with their C2E2 posts... ;)
    anovos-star-wars-license.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

What a great deal, and amazing news for the Star Wars community!

Dana and Jose truely deserve this more than anyone else, they have been part of this and other accuracy related communities for years and their personal work and the existing ANOVOS product lines speak for itself!

I wish them all the best and may the force be with them.... :lol

Warpcell and Art Andrews like this.
  3. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

I've been biting my tongue, only telling close friends for a while about the new project we're involved with.

It's going to be a busy year! :D ..not only with the projects but also since several of us in this venture are having babies this summer! Oh boy..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Art Andrews likes this.
  4. cking

cking Sr Member

Congrats Jose and the team. This is very interesting news. With the press release talking about future releases including "Scout Trooper, Sandtrooper" etc, how does this work with eFX's Legend and Limited Edition version of the Scout Trooper helmet and Stormtrooper helmet and armor offerings? Are the helmets going to be new sculpts?
    Great work and can't wait to see the pics of your first costumes.

Chris

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bah!

They are in the doghouse untill they release the TOS BSG Jacket! ;)

DS Operative likes this.
  6. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Cool! I've been wanting a high end Luke Bespin costume for awhile.. guess I need to start saving up!

Spawn613 and Art Andrews like this.
  7. Borjis

Borjis Well-Known Member

Thats great news.

will Anovos ever offer 1978 Battlestar wear?

8. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sooooo excited. I will say my first thought was to see if they have gift cards so I can tell all my relatives what I want for Christmas. I had to search "gift" on their site. I didn't see a direct way to get to them via their store.

Art Andrews likes this.
  9. GotWookiee

GotWookiee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very interesting. Congrats are in order. I love their BSG stuff. Here's hoping they can make the Star Wars licensed replica thing work as well as their other properties!

10. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. Im interested at how the armor will work. Will it be cast from originals or new sculpts?

Ben

11. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

I will let them answer that one :)

12. kord

kord New Member

I hope it is successful. I know there a lot of people that the sewing and creating turn them off, maybe this will get them involved.

13. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I saw that on Rebelscum. Very cool news! However if one of the first products isn't a 6' tall Ewok costume I will be very disappointed. Don't judge, my Ewok character has gigantism.

14. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Also curious as Im seeing photos pop up of the Anovos booth at C2E2 and theres ROTS Clone trooper armor, looks real similar to Sci-Fire/C6 stuff. Would love to know who all in the community is involved here on the armor end.

15. Apollo

If the Jackets sell well the Tans will be offered last I heard

16. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

Stopped by their booth today at C2E2 to check the stuff out. here are two quick pics, The pic of the Luke training fatigues didn't come out right so I will be stopping and grabbing more pics tomorrow
    20140425_143023.jpg

20140425_143030.jpg

The BDK likes this.
  17. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Obviously happy and excited to see true fans doing what they love for a living and I know they will do things right.

Honestly not excited to see a Darth Vader costume in the works. I know it will look stellar, but guys like me and many others work really hard on making awesome, accurate Vader costumes and because of the details needed to get it right and the cost involved there are less Vaders out there compared to many other popular costumes. With Anovos making a high-end super accurate version, any jerk with $8,000 can have a stunning Darth Vader costume with no work. I know really that's an awesome thing, and something I might have wanted before I started making my own, but it just makes me feel sad.

On the flip side, maybe I'll stop seeing those ugly, horrible plastic Rubies DV costumes and those guys will upgrade to a far superior turn-key kit.

18. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like Jango is in the works.

19. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Its very cool to see that fans will offer props for other fans but to many promises regarding the accuracy of props very made in the past so i'm very sceptical. Some really accurate Vader softparts would be a cool start but it looks like i would have to buy a complete Vader for that? Or will they sell single parts also?

20. jkno

jkno Master Member

C2E2 501st Facebook page

[​IMG]

21. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Congratulations to all those at ANOVOS.
    I look forward to seeing what they have to offer.

22. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yay! Finally my dream of Luke Bespin Bermuda shorts will be a reality.

Yodamann, Treadwell and Apollo like this.
  23. jkno

jkno Master Member

I'm wondering about a few things regarding the Stormtrooper armor for example:

- what will be the difference in accuracy, materials and other features/options compared to the TK armor released by eFX
    - what will be the price compared to eFX Stormie armor (and, why not, other suits of armor)
    - how long it will take for Anovos to release their stuff

24. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, awesome.

I kinda share James Kenobis view. BUT I always had the montra, "If a fellow member can make item X with high quality for a reasonable price...ill buy it. Sure I can scratch make stuff, but my time is worth money as well. With that said, you never get the satisfaction of saying, " I made this" by writing a check.

From what I have seen so far the costumes will be a hit if there is enough preorders and the quality control is kept high.

Congrats guys, looking forward to some high ends costumes!

ataru72ita likes this.
  25. Apollo

If these are anything like ANOVOS other offerings, the QC will be impeccable as well as the product! :thumbsup

26. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone

I can't thank you enough, on behalf of our company, and what it means to have your support and watch us grow in the past few years. It has all lead to this- a homecoming of sorts since it was originally Star Wars I first came to the RPF and met my first hobby friends back in 1999-ish.

I wanted to quickly answer some questions posted here :

1. Our license aims to make high end costuming license accessible to the general Star Wars enthusiasts. That means the costume fit, longevity and wearable armor/soft goods is a primary concern in creating quality products. Hence when we design our product, while accuracy is important the internal fit is just as important if not more, especially in the case of user comfort and costume durability. This has already left us with tough decisions to make as a premiere costume company, but ones we stay steadfast that has lead us to to success in previous endeavors.
    2. As I mentioned before, we are a premiere costuming company and EFX makes premiere props and collectibles. Our energy and focus is poured into making accessible accurate costumes but heavily weighted by wearability, comfort and durability. Simply put, we make full wearable costumes, they make props.
    3. The amor pieces displayed at C2E2 are concept pieces to stir conversation and show general direction. They are not our manufacturing prototypes.

That's the scoop- first heard here where it all started. This place has always been dear to my heart and will continue to be so. The only thing I do ask is to be patient with us as we start to mature and evolve the product lines. Your input is so invaluable to us as every thread and mention is read. Good folks like Moncal have been super gracious in lending us their capabilities and consult to bring out some do the most exciting product and again, it all came from here. So, here we go, guys- we are excited, locked and loaded- as I sincerely hope you are too ...send us your suggestions and comments !

Vycanthus, ecl, Thoth and 6 others like this.
  27. jkno

jkno Master Member

A couple more pics courtesy of usaeatt2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hulk11 likes this.
  28. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Although my interest lies predominantly with the OT, I'm really liking the Clone.
    As for the Vader, I suspect as a costuming company this will end up a generic interpretation rather than a specific one.

29. Mara Jade's Father

The Luke Bespin will be tricky. For that costume to look right, it needs to be either custom made to the buyer's measurements or it will need some sort of clever fit adjustment devices built in.

30. Art Andrews

I have never had that much interest in any of Luke's costumes, but seeing that Bespin prototype makes me think that would look fantastic on a mannequin in the office!

MonCal likes this.
  31. RINZLERTRON

RINZLERTRON Sr Member

I'm going to have to agree with that.... I personally dress as Vader, but having a Bespin Luke mannequin would be awesome, and maybe even having someone sculpt a silicone Mark Hamill mask to go on the mannequin... that would look awesome.

32. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

The question is, would you get it to fit you or circa 1979 Mark Hamill size? ..or are they the same? :)

33. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So full of win! Congrats guys!!!!!
    Cannot wait to throw my $$$ at you!

David

ataru72ita likes this.
  34. RINZLERTRON

RINZLERTRON Sr Member

I'm about 6'1... so I doubt I would get it to fit me, since I wouldn't be dressing in it anyway lol.

35. Art Andrews

I would never try to costume as Luke. Just don't have the look, so I would take it in whatever standard size it was made in.

36. Mara Jade's Father

Logically speaking, that costume could be a fatigue used by many other in the rebellion. Unlike Solo who is able to bring his wardrobe with him, Luke relies on rebellion surplus/issue. His boots on that outfit are the same as other pilots. It would not be inconceivable to assume that all pilots on Hoth have the same fatigues layered underneath their flight suit. Luke does tend to be the only one wearing a holster rig but maybe the other pilots keep sidearms writhe the gear in their ship.

Just something to think about.

MonCal likes this.
  37. Apollo

I'm wondering if the dreaded muk-luks for the Luke bespin fatigues will be included.

38. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The chest and thighs look like C6's very much. I can't figure out what the cod is from - but it is the part that looks the most like Sci-fire to me, if trimmed liberally.

39. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Me too. I'm 6' and lanky so it wouldn't look right. Now... if it was a ANH costume I might be tempted since it would help to have something to go with my landspeeder ;) It had better come with a wig too though...haha..I grew my hair out for the Lone Ranger movie and that kinda sucked. I don't think I could live with a Luke hair cut.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  40. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Folks,

To answer some questions about the clone concept is that it belongs to the personal collection of our company. As a concept piece, it is not what will be used in manufacturing and simply used as a display piece to stir conversation. In fact, our development process has taken us far away from this concept armor, recreating and manipulating CGI models to fit a conventional human body types , for 3D print and finishing. We are very excited and will share progress pics when appropriate.

Thank you all again for your support.

BTW - Cal - you can send that landspeeder my way ! Beautiful work !!

Art Andrews and ataru72ita like this.
  41. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Um... hmmm... we'll see ;)

I'm still working on it anyway.

42. SithApprentice2

SithApprentice2 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I feel a bit the same way- just finishing up an ANH Vader costume which was a journey rather than a purchase and in doing so, learned far more about Vader that I would have if I just plunked down $$$ for the costume.

However, a new source of quality, accurate costumes for SW characters is always a good thing for the SW community and the franchise- looking forward to seeing their offerings in the near future:).

43. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To everyone worrying about their Vaders...

I have no doubts that the 501st will re-write their costuming rules so no one will be able to use an Anovos Vader right out of the box...

44. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Unless there was some problem with accuracy on the ANOVOS costume, that would be just weird....

45. DeadasaJodo

DeadasaJodo New Member

It's not just how accurate the costume looks, but how accurate you look in that costume. If you bought a cleared 501'st costume from someone else you would still have to tweak it to fit you and re-submit it for clearance. So unless you are fortunate enough that the costume fits you 'off the peg', you would still have to modify it to pass clearance.

tuskentrooper likes this.
  46. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get that, but I figured a proper fit was already covered in the rules. I just thought it would be weird to re-write the rules simply because a high-end costume hits the market

47. ataru72ita

ataru72ita Well-Known Member

LOL!!! I have the opposite problem, perfect fit with Stormtroopers and Luke, started a great Vader accuracy wise, figuring out that following 501st's rules I could never reach the proper Height and stature, so I'm turning it into a Lifesize display!:rolleyes
    Problem is, now I have to dig out Prowse's measures and figure out how to make a correct Prowseish display mannequin!!:D Without spending a fortune on a musclesuits!:facepalm

Getting back from OT, can't wait to see how the Luke's Bespin costume is going to cost, since with the holster I'll finish also the parts of the Hoth Luke pilot I'm also making!!:D

Regards,

Alberto

48. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

49. Art Andrews

I have seen this mentality many times in the past, and every time I see it, I am confused by it. Why do you care what other people have or how they obtained it? As long as they are breaking into your house and stealing YOUR Vader, what difference does it make? Do you love your Vader because it is Vader and a fantastic replica that you crafted with your own two hands or because you have one and few others do? If the latter, why does that matter to you?

Not picking on your specifically, because you are definitely not the only person who feels this way, but this is something I have just never understood as it feels like it comes out of the pettiness of the collecting mentality where value is derived from having something others don't instead of value being derived from the object itself.

AJK001 and DAVIDYR1 like this.
  50. Art Andrews

From the 501st? Not so much... Keep in mind, eFX showed off a set of stormtrooper armor cast off the only known complete set of armor known to exist and the 501st was very quick to dismiss it, while they still have people prancing around in FX armor...

AJK001 likes this.