Anovos Kylo Ren helmet textured finish painting method ?

nightlyfob79

Hi does anyone know how Anovos and other prop builders got that textured finish on their Kylo Ren helmets ?

I've tried hammered finish paint , and tried splattering it on with a spray can I just can't figure it out !

Thanks

The easiest way IMO is using 2K clear out of a spray gun. The trick is you drop the air pressure down very low and it will kind of splatter out. You can go light for a more subtle texture, or a little heavier and it will match the Anovos lo

Back in the old days I used to do something very similar with a rattle can. I’d do two things, stick it in the fridge for about 30 minutes, and I also opened the nozzle up a little more with a needle. That would do a very similar splatter or sputtering effect which was a great texture.

I believe the ones in 8 and 9 are just acrylic emulsion paint (house paint more or less) stippled on.

Here is a helmet I painted a few months back for reference.

Attachments

• A66B60B6-A744-4945-BB7C-6CA42A7C5C52.jpeg
    A66B60B6-A744-4945-BB7C-6CA42A7C5C52.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 4B3C8161-A310-4A87-BA53-5F06E70C316D.jpeg
    4B3C8161-A310-4A87-BA53-5F06E70C316D.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 418
  • 4937D0AE-41CA-43DC-9D98-EE94BA216BB3.jpeg
    4937D0AE-41CA-43DC-9D98-EE94BA216BB3.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 418
Awesome thank you so much I will give it a try !

Also the work you do is amazing mate your Mando helmets are just perfect well everything you seem to touch turns to gold I always look forward to reading anything you post on here you know so much and it's so awesome that you will take the time to help anyone who asks .

Thanks again

I know you posted about the helmet texture, but I think I found a similar way to do it but through the hilt. I used chalkboard paint (because its naturally matte black) and jabbed it on with a 1/4 inch paint brush, letting the bristles fan out with each dab, creating a rough/bumpy feel, and also giving a twist to make random patterns here and there
IMG_20201117_102844.jpg

I just finally got around to painting the cheapo Target 2-piece I picked up back before TFA came out (and before I knew better about the movies....sigh) because I thought I could knock out a project I wasn't too worried about. Went with hammered black rattle can (did very, very little), followed by a 'light' coat of stone texture rattle can, topped with sketchy coverage of cheap flat black rattle can. Masked the eye area (god, did THAT ever suuuuuuck) and sprayed rattlecan Duplicolor chrome on that. Finally blotched on some black craft paint all over the place to knock down the specular highlights where it was still too shiny, then painted scratches and damage. Looks passable to me, and cost very little.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back