ANOVOS Kirk TOS Tunic

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by CMANavy, Nov 3, 2011.

1. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Nope!!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    micdavis likes this.
  2. zsherman

zsherman Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Looks fantastic!

3. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

wow..thats an awesome tunic!

4. mikeh66

mikeh66 New Member

Great tunic CMANavy!

5. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

makes me wish i could have gotten one!

6. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking sharp buddy!!

micdavis likes this.
  7. WNMHGB

WNMHGB Member

yeah wish i could have gotten one too! oh well, love to see others though looks great.

micdavis likes this.
  8. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member

Looks good, But IMO maybe you need a size up.
    Your wrists are gonna catch cold.

I have the same problem long arms, It's a curse..

9. FirstAvenger

FirstAvenger Member

saw their stuff.....

looked great.

Wanted to buy but alas, they had closed their production run by the time I saw them.

SIGH..........

10. Got Maul

ahem - Entertainment Earth. Ahem.

11. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The long-arms look is accurate tho, at least for the shrinky velour costumes.

[​IMG]

micdavis likes this.
  12. FirstAvenger

FirstAvenger Member

Yeah..... saw those in their catalog but wasn't sure of the quality. The picture was quite small after all.

13. RS1

RS1 Active Member

The anovos tunics are fantastic . Really well made , no disappointment in quality .

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  14. FirstAvenger

FirstAvenger Member

that is good to know. Especially since I was looking at the Doctor Who long coat as well from them. I'd presume they have a 'quality' standard.......

15. RS1

RS1 Active Member

The Trek Tunics are made by Anovos , not sure who makes the Dr Who coat . I can 't say as to the quality of the other items .

16. FirstAvenger

FirstAvenger Member

Ah cool.....

Didn't know that. Guess I don't need to wait then :)

17. Star Wars Chick

Star Wars Chick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great on you!

micdavis likes this.
  18. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Looks great!

19. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

I agree. This is now the third tunic I've seen that looks really tight in the chest. One was a net friend and the other was a guy on ANOVOS' facebook page.
    Joe is this a customer mesurement issue, a sizing issue, or a patterning issue. I know one of your pattern sources was John, what does he think?

John

20. John Cooley

Anyway, there are more of these showing up tighter through the midsection than there should be. I don't know yet if that's a problem with the mesurements they asked people for, the 1977 Phase II uniforms they examined, shinkage on some of the Greg Jein pieces they measured, or the John Broughton patterns they looked at. I know that the patterns John Broughton is using are old Lincoln Enterprises patterns given to him by James Cawley.

I'll try to find out.

21. STpropguy76

Are these Preshrunk?

Because as it is some people are pushing the envelope on the size & I would hate to see them squeeze into them after a Laundering.

And at the Price Each 300.00 to $500.00
    It makes me worried and a little leary to Order and get something that will only be able to hang in a display case if it's too small.
    I mean if my head itches and reach to scratch it and I rip the arms off.
    Also I'm going to get pretty tired going around keeping my arms by my waist all the time.

Going the other way if you order big, that throws the seams off and the look is totally wrong, Not to mention removing this and that, hemming, sewing everything back into place.
    Then again you bought the tunic for $300.00 and it came to your door wrong?
    $500.00 if you want a Kirk Wrap.

IMHO: I think they look Very Good, Very Accurate.
    But at $500.00 for a Shirt that I can honesty only wear to certain places, I want William Shatner dropping it off at my door for this Price tag.
    But then it's only 1/2 a uniform I still need pants!!!!!!
    Ugh..............

22. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Moot point on the Wrap as they are sold out.

I ordered an X-Large and it fits fine on me.

As with most Costuming taking it to a tailor for a custom fit is usually what you have to do.

As for washing these I would advise taking the Insignia and Braid off as they did the originals and then dry-clean only if that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  23. Got Maul

So the tunic is under $300 .

The Wrap is sold out.

As for sizing, we're pretty good for exchanges if its necessary. Its the caveat that comes with the world of selling clothing, not just costuming.

Its a near impossibility to capture one perfect replica that will fit all the various sizes out there. That's why we leave the hems in there and a pretty open line of communication to our customers for additional consult.

24. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

deleted.....

25. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

deleted!

26. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Drat! I was worried they'd be bell shaped. :darnkids

...shoulda gone a size smaller... especially since I've lost ten pounds since I ordered it.

27. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

deleted

28. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got mine yesterday and all I can say is WOW! So happy with this tunic. The quality is better than I expected. I cannot wait to get the pants and boots.

29. WNMHGB

WNMHGB Member

looking good, any one else have some pictures to share?

30. John Cooley

I've seen quite a few of these now, and I really do think that for the sizing, the chest at about the point of most people's xiphoid process is too tight.

Additionally, every single Anovos tunic I've seen thus far has the insignia placed too far to the left. It just doesn't look right.

Changing questions though for a second, how's John coming on the wraps? If he's going to be making a first season wrap next year, I may have to get in on that (provided diaper purchases decrease).

Cheers!

31. STpropguy76

32. Apollo

And not to bust your balls, but obviously you are new to Trek costuming.

Fan made runs, and there were only 2 that did them were going for over $ 300.00.

For a Tunic of this Accuracy and quality and for it being Licensed it's cheap.

We get it though Bro this one is just not your cup of tea

33. STpropguy76

Was not talking about Accuracy or Quality, In fact I like them as you may read in my previous post.

I was talking about the sizing, And Replacement if incorrect.

Everything I quoted is from Anovos.com

Please if you do not know me do not conclude things about me.
    Thank You.
    I am out of this Thread.

34. John Cooley

But, I'm FAR from being new to Star Trek costuming and I'm less than impressed. For the clames and cash being charged here, I expect better.

The insignia is an idealised insignia based partially on a sampling of 3rd season patches, and comercialy made Lincolin Enterprises patches used on 1977 Phase II uniform prototypes, and patches in the collection of Greg Jein. No actual 3rd season insignia looked precisely quite like that. It's placement on the tunic is too high, and too far to the left.

The tunics I've seen thus far are too tight in the upper chest. That's either due to a mesurement issue, a manufacturring issue, a patterning issue, or the fact that Vic's personal prototype IS in fact too tight, but convinced Anovos that it was a good fit prior to manufacture of the full run.

From the uniforms I seen (and this is simply based on observation of some of the particulars of both the tunics and dresses) a choice was made to go with an idealised version (hence also the lighter colors) of these uniforms based MORE on 1977 Star Trek: Phase II uniforms CBS had on hand than with actual 1969 Star Trek uniforms. That's not a replica then from ANY aired episode of STAR TREK, but a costume and for that kind of money I expect that even the people like me who know how a tos uniform should look should be impressed.

35. Apollo

Again since you are so nervous about sizing this just does not sound like it's for you.

Anyone who is familiar with these knows you will probably have to get a tailor to fit it to you

Trek TOS Tunics were made to be custom fitted to the wearer that's just the nature of what it is.

36. John Cooley

Ah, but I'm not mearly talking about fit am I? I'm talking about accuracy, and these tunics fall off the mark.

37. Apollo

Yeah I've been noticing your posts.

It has me wondering what happened as you were very anxious when these first were announced you were their number one fan with all your posts about them.

Have you seen one in person or are you just basing this on what you have seen on the net?

As far as the Insignia I'm there with you on that but hey even the ones on the show varied so not really a big deal on that.

As I just posted you know there can not be a pret a porter TOS Tunic out of the box just ain't gonna happen bro, it's just not the nature of that beast! :lol

38. Apollo

How so?

Have you examined an Anovos Tunic in person?

39. John Cooley

What people were sold is NOT a screen accurate replica but mass produced 1977 Phase II fan uniforms patterned by John Broughton of Farragut Films who's own uniforms were made using Lincolin Enterprises' patterns from James Cawley. Not the 1960's Star Trek uniforms advertised.

40. Apollo

...and again have you examined a Anovos Tunic in person?

41. John Cooley

Sadly no. I was supposed to have seen a prototype but that I guess fell through somewhere along the lines. What I have had ,is access to the same photos everybody else had, but I know most of the players involved (and those no longer involved), and some of how these first uniforms were prototyped and the sources used from conversations with people who own original pieces, and people who own original patterns, and phone conversations with Joe and on and on.

42. Apollo

That's a pretty bold claim.

I'd be interested in any facts you have to back it.

43. John Cooley

p.m. sent.

44. Apollo

Got your PM you know I've been around Trek and Trek Costuming since 1976 and the one constant is there is a lot of BS out there and a lot of the so called experts are Con Artists.

It seems Trek just seems to bring out the worse in people but when theres money to be made it does not surprise me

45. WNMHGB

WNMHGB Member

Oh come on everyone knows that John Broughton was in the loop as the prototypes were created by him along with the Big Bang Tunics, I too was expecting more BANG For the buck pardon the pun lol I see just another try at a tos tunic that has failed?
    really it is not an exact replica? some of us fans were expecting a heck of a lot more, with the placement of the insignia it just blows the whole deal, does not even look right. sorry if the truth hurts! : ( Next??

46. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Personally I prefer a little idealism in my replicas. I don't want to spend that much for something that perfectly replicates some the cheap or quick and dirty techniques of the original screen used item that was not intended to be kept or collected (nor seen outside of the extremely small screen and low resolution televisions of the '60s). I don't want diamond weave that will fall apart like the exact material used in the '60s. I don't want threads hanging off the braids as to be accurate to the actual screen used uniforms.

47. WNMHGB

WNMHGB Member

granted that weird pear shaped and over weight people should NOT Be squishing into these and expect to look like a 35 year old Shatner! lol

48. WNMHGB

WNMHGB Member

good point and i am sure we all agree about the quality! of course we want better quality than a screen used item but we want accuracy! not in the quality but in the look.

49. Apollo

Oh I don't think we will ever see an EXACT replica, for that you need to get a Screen-used one.

50. John Cooley

Ha! Aint that the truth?:lol