Anovos Jyn Erso Gloves Received, Horrible Quality! PHOTOS

TradeCraft

I just wanted to share photos of the gloves my wife received so people know what they can expect to receive, if Anovos ever ship what you order at all.

The main selling point of Anovos is supposedly screen accuracy, and the main excuse for the excessive delays has been matching the screen used props. I don’t think it is out of the question to point out serious problems with accuracy in addition to extremely poor quality manufacturing. There are etsy sellers from the RPF community offering far more screen accurate replicas who don’t have Anovos' access to the original assets in the Lucasfilm archive. The light tan Gloves are Black Diamond "Stone" Gloves, which are the actual gloves used on screen with minor modification, and dyed dark brown. That is how these should be designed, but the stitching, design, assembly, and proportions are nothing like the facsimile thrown together by Anovos. They did have almost 2 years to make this, so I'm shocked this is all they could come up with!

Issues with the Anovos Gloves

Tags have been cut out and replaced

One delay excuse was said to be due to moving production to the USA. Both gloves had tags sewn into the wrist hem during manufacturing, but those tags have both been cut out sloppily. New tags were stitched in later to replace them, but were sewn straight through to the palm of the glove, with black thread, which ruins the exterior look of the gloves. I am also concerned about why the original tags were cut out, and what they said on them. Did the cut out tags say "Made in China"?

Silver paint marks all over gloves

Both gloves are covered in permanent lines and dots from a fine point silver paint marking pen. The silver paint pen was used for marking the outlines of the leather pieces being cut, and to mark stitching lines over the entirety of both gloves.

For large production runs, leather pieces are typically cut using leather cutting dies in a clicker press. In smaller production runs, leather could be hand cut around an acrylic template held in place. Silver paint marks should never be visible over the entirety of a finished production item sent to a customer. This looks like a very rough draft or early prototype.

Leather

The right and left gloves were manufactured at different times, obviously by different people, from very different grains of leather. The leather is very thin and cheap looking, and the surface is cracking horribly instead of being smooth. One glove especially, has the look of being made out of dried beef jerky. The screen used black diamond gloves were made of thick 3oz weight goat leather (approx 1.2mm-1.4mm thick), but the Anovos gloves are made from much cheaper and thinner 2oz leather of a completely different type. The inside of the Anovos gloves are covered in leather dye drips and stains from being handled while wet.

Stitching Problems

The stitching work is very poor, and they didn’t even bother to change the thread type or thread color in the sewing machine’s bobbin between making various items. The right and left glove do not even match. One glove is made entirely using heavy white thread for leather in the bobbin, and the other glove was made using regular lightweight black fabric thread in the bobbin, which is just sloppy.

The palm of one glove has teeth marks/indentions next to all the stitched lines from way too much pressure from the walking foot of the sewing machine used.

Velcro Strap

The screen used gloves used a wrist strap made of a double thickness of leather with a snap fastener closure set in the lower layer, but the Anovos gloves use velcro as a cheaper option. The stitching that attaches the strap to each glove partially misses the strap on both gloves.

Unfortunately, the manufacturing quality of these gloves are more reminiscent of what would be included with a kids Disney Store costume at a $50-$75 price-point. For a Costume of this price, plagued with long delays supposedly stemming from a dedication to accuracy, the quality is obviously very disappointing.

Attachments

• CY2F7794a.jpg
    CY2F7794a.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 885
  • CY2F7800a.jpg
    CY2F7800a.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 905
  • CY2F7801a.jpg
    CY2F7801a.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 920
  • CY2F7802a.jpg
    CY2F7802a.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 864
  • CY2F7803a.jpg
    CY2F7803a.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 857
  • CY2F7811a.jpg
    CY2F7811a.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 865
  • CY2F7815a.jpg
    CY2F7815a.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 841
  • CY2F7819a.jpg
    CY2F7819a.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 787
  • CY2F7820a.jpg
    CY2F7820a.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 842
  • CY2F7821a.jpg
    CY2F7821a.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
That sucks, sorry you waited so long for sub-par gloves. Looks like they were made in China, rushed and used leftover material to make them.

That sucks, sorry you waited so long for sub-par gloves. Looks like they were made in China, rushed and used leftover material to make them.

Yeah, I thought everyone would like to know what they are waiting for, and what they can expect to receive. There are better looking, and more accurate Jyn gloves on Etsy, or I am capable of modding the Black Diamond Stone gloves myself. I would suggest others do the same.

Anovos should be ashamed to give excuses of their dedication to screen accuracy being the cause for repeated delays. They always add in the updates about how proud they are when the products arrive and how impressed everyone will be when the see the finished product. This is just embarrassing for them.

I don’t know who they are actually paying to put these together, but I could actually deconstruct, template, and see a better looking glove from scratch on my own. Why the hell do they need access to the original Lucasfilm assets to make something this poor and shoddy looking?

OMG, those are horrible. Have you complained to Anovos? How can they even ship something like that?

OMG, those are horrible. Have you complained to Anovos? How can they even ship something like that?

Good luck getting ahold of Anovos. My wife is still waiting on $900 in Jyn and other items from Anovos. Last email delay was scheduled for Winter 2018 delivery. Then more delays were silently made, yet unannounced, and no emails were sent. They removed the shipping calendar, and live chat was “down for maintenance”. I had to open a support ticket asking what was going on. The response took 2 weeks, and said they were “on schedule for Spring 2019”, and Anovos closed my ticket as “resolved”. They aren’t even acknowledging the last delay. Not only is most everything pushed back to Spring 2019, some of our items have been pushed all the way back to the end (September) of 2019. I wouldn’t call that “on schedule” for Winter 2018.

I’m inclined to cancel everything I ordered anyway, based on how horrible the quality of these gloves are. I hope others cancel their orders after seeing these photos. I’m not exaggerating when I say I could creat a one off glove from scratch that looks better, and more accurate than these. And it wouldn’t take me 2-3 years to do it.

Last edited:
That's pretty pathetic.

I wanted to do what I could to help the RPF community, as well as worn other buyers. The Senior Manager of the Lucasfilm Liscencing Dept at The Walt Disney Company called me before the weekend in response to my complaint. They asked me to please provide them with photos of the Anovos product that was shipped. They were legitimately concerned if it was anywhere near as bad as what I said. I forgot to even tell them about the mismatched thread and silver paint marks all over both gloves. I took these photos and included notes explaining the problems. I think they will be very surprised with how they actually look. I’m even going to offer to send them the Anovos gloves I received, as they are essentially worthless.

What in the h311 happened with Anovos? These days, it sounds like the 'Tt'll take forever but the quality will be exceptional' tag line doesn't even float. What a disappointment.

This quality issue with Anovos is nothing new, it's just gotten worse.
There were issues with their ABS FOTK helmets being super thin plastic to the point that light shined threw it and huge gaps in the parts. Their OT TK armor is notorious for being very thin and cheaply made. Plus the QC issues with helmets such as the Phasma or parts missing and no response to make things right.

I understand every company gets into business to make money, but their's obviously no pride or care in their product or at this point shipping product.

I appreciate this information, I was about to order anovos jyn gear for my wife, but changed my mind before I pressed order. Thanks again for the feedback and follow through

I appreciate this information, I was about to order anovos jyn gear for my wife, but changed my mind before I pressed order. Thanks again for the feedback and follow through

I’m glad I helped. I think you would be disappointed. There are much better options on Etsy. There are sellers who modify the actual Black Diamond gloves just like they did for the screen used prop.

I've seen way too many horror stories with Anovos to even consider shelling out the cash for what they are... I wa going to say delivering, but they have problems doing that, too.

Thank you for posting this with detailed pictures.

I agree that some bad surgery was done to get this pair of gloves out... just shotty work... ugh... so disappointed and dismayed at Anovos.

I hope the LFL/Disney licensing group can help you out... and then turn their attention towards Anovos. Thanks for doing all this... I appreciate your care for the community. Thank you.

So disappointed at Anovos....

Wow. I am honestly shocked. Delays are one thing—delivering a shoddy product is a whole new level for them (in my experience). Thanks for the info. I nearly bought these gloves from ANOVOS for my wife but instead went with ENDOR FINDERS's version. I should get them today and will post a review if anyone is interested.

Wow. I am honestly shocked. Delays are one thing—delivering a shoddy product is a whole new level for them (in my experience). Thanks for the info. I nearly bought these gloves from ANOVOS for my wife but instead went with ENDOR FINDERS's version. I should get them today and will post a review if anyone is interested.

Please... i was also looking at the Jyn Erso ensemble for my wife, but held off until i got the ENT Jumpsuit. Glad I did hold off. If there is a great alternative id be happy to hear it.

Thank you for posting this with detailed pictures.

I agree that some bad surgery was done to get this pair of gloves out... just shotty work... ugh... so disappointed and dismayed at Anovos.

I hope the LFL/Disney licensing group can help you out... and then turn their attention towards Anovos. Thanks for doing all this... I appreciate your care for the community. Thank you.

So disappointed at Anovos....

No problem, you're all very welcome. I work as a photographer, so it wasn't a big deal. I will let everyone know when I hear back from Lucasfilm. I'm expecting them to be somewhat shocked at what is going out to customers.

Please... i was also looking at the Jyn Erso ensemble for my wife, but held off until i got the ENT Jumpsuit. Glad I did hold off. If there is a great alternative id be happy to hear it.

So I got the ENDOR FINDERS Jyn Erso gloves last week and finally have started the dying and weathering process— they're still a WIP but I am so pleased I am posting images now. The original leather color is tan, just as it appears on their website. The feel of the leather and construction of the gloves are of excellent quality.

This picture is after 3-4 coats of medium brown Fiebing's Leather Dye. You can see the back of the left glove is slightly darker than the front of the right glove—that's due to the number of coats applied so far.

NHwRTHa.jpg

The cost of the gloves ($35 + shipping) and the dye came to around $46.50, which a good amount less than ANOVOS's Jyn gloves at $59.95 (before tax, fees, and shipping). And considering the reported poor quality of the ANOVOS product, I highly recommend ENDOR FINDERS for this costume piece.

Attachments

• NHwRTHa.jpg
    NHwRTHa.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 377
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back