ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

I didn't realize the RS helmets were reverse-engineered from a TIE pilot helmet. Here's an original for proportion comparison:

View attachment 1513568

View attachment 1513570

(Thanks, Jez.)

The RS looks a little pinched. Also for comparison, here are some of the ones FAC made for Rogue One:

View attachment 1513574

View attachment 1513575

It looks to me like Anovos' base helmet is a good match in proportion and detail, so probably scanned from one of the Rogue One helmets. Which, since FAC made them, I would personally save a step and just get it from Cal. *lol*

iirc Mon Cal was banned for not delivering many board members props....

iirc Mon Cal was banned for not delivering many board members props....
That's a can of worms I'm not going to dig too far into. His relationship with Art has never been smooth. He fought his ban and was ignored. He was in communication with the people he owed product to, and struggled through some bad real-life stuff to get all outstanding orders filled and get back on top of things. Takeaway: He was reliable before, he had a rough patch, he is reliable again. But people are always more likely to complain than say "everything was normal and as expected". And we hear the initial complaint, and too often it is never followed up on with the resolution. Human nature, unfortunately. To the best of my knowledge, there is no one still owed something. If there is, they have ignored his multiple "have I missed anyone?" messages and should get in touch with him. Facebook is most reliable, currently.

[Paragraph and footnote redacted by me -- as much as I want to promote the wares of a banned member.]

Last edited:
That's a can of worms I'm not going to dig too far into. His relationship with Art has never been smooth. He fought his ban and was ignored. He was in communication with the people he owed product to, and struggled through some bad real-life stuff to get all outstanding orders filled and get back on top of things. Takeaway: He was reliable before, he had a rough patch, he is reliable again. But people are always more likely to complain than say "everything was normal and as expected". And we hear the initial complaint, and too often it is never followed up on with the resolution. Human nature, unfortunately. To the best of my knowledge, there is no one still owed something, If there is, they have ignored his multiple "have I missed anyone?" messages and should get in touch with him. Facebook is most reliable, currently.

I stand by what I said that, if you want a new-canon-accurate version of the OT-era Rebel or Imperial helmet or life-support chest box*... I wouldn't suggest ordering them from the original maker (and then commissioning the paint job you want if you don't have the chops yourself) if I felt he was unreliable. Anovos, and now Denuo Novo, sold/will be selling second-generation interpretations (3D scan, cleanup, print, cleanup, tool, pull) of the base helmet, and one is essentially paying extra for that to not have to paint it, whenever one eventually gets it. I leave that to individual cost-benefit analysis.

[*X-Wing pilot, TIE pilot, Rebel trooper, Imperial trooper, Imperial gunner... all the ones you see on screen in Rogue One were made by FAC, as shown above, even if the hero helmets were painted and weathered in-house by others at Lucasfilm after receipt. Freed up Lucasfilm's pipeline to focus on the new designs (Shore Troopers, etc.).]
I understand why you do not want to open up that can of worms, as I remember as well as quite a few here, just what had happned with him.

Bottom line is that he did the exact same thing Anovos is accused of by some here and is guilty of by taking board members hard earned money and using it to produce product for the Licensors instead of the people whom had paid for such product.

He was given many warnings and yet continued to do so.

I caution you as your post may be construed as promoting a banned members wares, and I find it reckless and ill advised that you would do so

There is much I want to say to that, but I can't. Anyway. Yes. Anovos scanned production assets from Rogue One for their Rebel and Imperial pilot helmets, which were made by Far Away Creations, whose sculpts are derived from measurements and photo reference of the original props in the LFL Archives. Anovos then cleaned up those scans, printed masters that were then themselves cleaned up, and used those to make forming bucks. That's the lineage/provenance of the Denuo Novo helmet, whatever the final paint apps.

I won't remove my misapprehension of what happened which way, but I will correct it. I hate being wrong, even a little, but that's life. I got confused over separate things there were going on and erroneously separated them too far. I know Anovos had hired FAC back in 2015 for prototyping of the costumes they were going to be making for their Star Wars license. That went sour and the two parted ways. I also knew FAC made all the OT-era helmets (and life-support boxes, for the pilots) for Rogue One. I dug back. Yes, Anovos got that contract from Lucasfilm, in addition to their Star Wars license, and subcontracted further to FAC, before their working relationship went bad. What I'm trying to get clear on now is where the assets originated. FAC had been making all those helmets since way before this, and Anovos were using their meticulously-researched and -recreated costumes for reference for the official licensed stuff they were going to be offering. Now I'm getting info that Anovos modeled the Rogue One helmets and provided the forms to FAC. I'l run that one down, but at the very least FAC used their familiarity with the originals on what they were making, wherever it originated, to finish the props to an accurate standard. So I'm still sticking with onscreen=Anovos=FAC=Denuo Novo=close enough to the originals in the LFL Archives as makes no nevermind. Sorry I got the provenance a little inside-out.

Still more accurate than RS, though they do good work.

Last edited:
Denuo Novo posted the below on Facebook.

Check out our holiday sale going on NOW! 10% off for 10 days AND free shipping in the US and discounted shipping internationally. Order now and have it in time for holiday gifting!

Denuo Novo posted the below on Facebook.

Check out our holiday sale going on NOW! 10% off for 10 days AND free shipping in the US and discounted shipping internationally. Order now and have it in time for holiday gifting!

So I'm seriously tempted to jump on this sale on in stock items just to buy myself out, but I'm seriously torn over what the best option is. I've a $400 credit at their store, and idk what the best "investment" piece would be.

Mando helmet at $630 shipped doesn't sound terrible, but Im seeing a million of them on Ebay rn, some listed at half that price. Any thoughts on what one might hold the best value?

So I'm seriously tempted to jump on this sale on in stock items just to buy myself out, but I'm seriously torn over what the best option is. I've a $400 credit at their store, and idk what the best "investment" piece would be.

Mando helmet at $630 shipped doesn't sound terrible, but Im seeing a million of them on Ebay rn, some listed at half that price. Any thoughts on what one might hold the best value?
If the intention is to resell the item I would look at items that are more likely to go out of production. There will likely be enough demand for the Mandalorian helmet to be in production for quite a while. I would think other items will stop sooner. If the item is no longer available to order from the vendor, it is more likely you could get a good price for it.

They haven't given any timeline for when items will no longer be produced, but it makes sense that items will be phased out due to lack of demand and producing other more in demand items.

What do you guys think about that pre-order TIE-pilot helmet? Would that be worth of money or is someone currently making better one?
Not worth the price. The original price was $300-$350 years ago from Anovos. They've jacked up the price. No OT TIE helmet from any other maker costs that much.

A long, long time ago, well within the Anovos stopped delivering phase of their operation, I pre-ordered a Shoretrooper helmet from BBTS. It was a no-risk investment with a minimal cash-down that I knew BBTS would eventually credit me for if Anovos went belly-up.

Some nano-positive news: the helmet is getting ready to ship.

For those interested, I'll be taking pics of the Anovos version from a few years ago and the DN version from this year. Will update a few weeks from now.

A long, long time ago, well within the Anovos stopped delivering phase of their operation, I pre-ordered a Shoretrooper helmet from BBTS. It was a no-risk investment with a minimal cash-down that I knew BBTS would eventually credit me for if Anovos went belly-up.

Some nano-positive news: the helmet is getting ready to ship.

For those interested, I'll be taking pics of the Anovos version from a few years ago and the DN version from this year. Will update a few weeks from now.
I got notice on a couple of items today as well. They're also showing the helmets that Denuo says is shipping as in stock. Will update everyone when they arrive.

The BBTS prices are quite a bit higher than the Denuo Novo prices. I guess BBTS is including most of the shipping cost in the item price.

The BBTS prices are quite a bit higher than the Denuo Novo prices. I guess BBTS is including most of the shipping cost in the item price.
Right.
4$ flat shipping instead of what Anovos had as shipping fees back then - $30-$40-$50.
Today that helmet directly from DN is $607 w/free (domestic) shipping.

When I originally ordered from BBTS it it was listed as $675.

I just saw that it's currently $775. That's quite a mark-up.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back