Anovos Ghostbusters Proton Pack Kit

I'm curious about the shell. Is it a new master by Anovos, an authorized recast of a fan made/production lineage shell, or did they actually get to mold a screen used pack shell?

For those of us who have been saving parts here and there over the years, it's really hard to ignore this price point. But for me the only way I'll buy is if the shell itself has a lineage to the actual prop. Although fully endorsed, is this just another fan made derivative? With a license in hand, why not source an original shell?

Send me to Sony and I'll 3D scan the thing right through the glass. Ultimately the production costs will be the same, but there would need to be a new master. Even a slightly idealized shell with a lineage will use the same amount of material.

Over on gbfans a member there derived his own original pattern from that stunt casting that's out there. For me that is the best and most accurate fan made shell. I think it's pchrisbosh, a truly thoughtful original pattern, and nothing come closer to the movie packs.

RPF member Bowelrock was banned years ago for selling copies of the stunt shell with a pedigree to the movie packs, supposedly sourced from an HMS yard sale. Gbfans member Venky was selling the best copies but his threads are locked due to outstanding orders. Even videobob is still using a derivative of one of these. My understanding is all of these copies were from a reassembled mold. Every time someone copies it it doesn't get better and usually adds additional warping. Certainly not suitable for a licensed product, but it is still the best reference.

With a license in hand it would be a shame if Anovos doesn't reference the real thing. Sadly the nuances of the original are not usually a priority for the majority of the customers just looking for something official.

I wonder what fan is helping anovos with this? I can't imagine them jumping into this with out the over seeing of a GB veteran

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading that Anovos is giving credit instead of refunds for cancelled items, I'm not going to preorder. It's too risky.

Yeah, as much as I want to place an order, I remember back when Master Replicas was planning on doing GB props and they cancelled the entire line due to costs. Proton Packs especially are so unique as props and contain so many small elements it's hard to find a cost effective way of mass producing packs and parts without sacrificing accuracy.

For those of us who have been saving parts here and there over the years, it's really hard to ignore this price point. But for me the only way I'll buy is if the shell itself has a lineage to the actual prop. Although fully endorsed, is this just another fan made derivative? With a license in hand, why not source an original shell?
It's no longer a secret that Sony has recently had a couple of the big GB prop builders heavily disassembling and documenting the screen-used hero packs in the Sony archives. I'm really, REALLY hoping part of this process included a 3D scan or shell mold.

The Anovos GB patch was oddly inaccurate, though. Holding out hope for the pack.

It's no longer a secret that Sony has recently had a couple of the big GB prop builders heavily disassembling and documenting the screen-used hero packs in the Sony archives. I'm really, REALLY hoping part of this process included a 3D scan or shell mold.

The Anovos GB patch was oddly inaccurate, though. Holding out hope for the pack.

Great to hear that about the Sony packs!

I noticed the GB patch discussion on their facebook page and I still don't understand - what was inaccurate about it other than the white edge? The originals were hand-made and varied widely from patch to patch so there was no one "accurate" design; it looked like they took a combination of the least malformed original details in making theirs. The white edge is easily trimmed off after purchase but would have apparently added a lot of cost on their end.

I'll probably update my suit with one when they're available... it will be a hell of a lot easier to sew on than the thick glue backed one that's on there now, and it will look nicer too with it being less rigid.

I noticed the GB patch discussion on their facebook page and I still don't understand - what was inaccurate about it other than the white edge? The originals were hand-made and varied widely from patch to patch so there was no one "accurate" design; it looked like they took a combination of the least malformed original details in making theirs. The white edge is easily trimmed off after purchase but would have apparently added a lot of cost on their end.
I stand corrected! When I first looked at the patch pic, I thought the white border was another line of embroidery, not the white cloth backing. Makes sense there!

Maybe I only ever hear the horror stories of Anovos, but for how phenomenal of work they do it's a damn shame they're surrounded by missing ship-dates and shoddy business practices. I think the way they're marketing this kit is extremely misleading, especially with the thrower being the $700 Metal kit instead of what comes with the pack. But when all is said and done, $600 is a pretty good price for what you actually ARE getting, and definitely saves a lot of hassle of sourcing all of the independent resin pieces, the shell, motherboard, it all is a major headache to get all those ducks in a row.

How in the heck did I miss this thread ?!?!?!?!

Tripoli...you remember the good days ? Great to see you here. I have to tell you, getting this license was like "coming home"...you better believe we're not going to screw this one up. Anyway, with that being said.

We are going to do a big huzzah about it soon, but thought to let you know here - the builders of the pack were Venkman71 and Vinny Nordone. Those guys are awesome and so very well regarded in the community. It was a real treat to work with them and get to work with them one more time. Sean's been in the community far longer than I have and Vinny has been as ever the bulldog on research and accuracy as I ever could be. Their prototype pack was the bee's knees and we were lucky to have them.

As for the base pack, we are still going back and forth on what is 3D printed (from the scans we took) and what will be a mix from the extremely accurate pack pieces that have come about in the last decade. They make my old packs look like dog meat compared to the things I've seen (e.g. Vinny's smoking exhaust pack...dayum !!)

Anyway, I plan on updating this thread (now that I know it exists) so please ask away.

I am personally art directing this prop for the company and using a handful of resources to help me along the way...looking at you Westies. I am actually getting the first strike off from China this week so I will keep you all posted on my findings.

Jose

Oh and on the price : $600....

As many of you might remember, I was the board moderator and creator of some pretty epic GB boards back in the day...back when AJ was a kid (and was a whiz back then too). But everyone will also recall my vision was to preach and grow the community so that someday everyone would have access to the GB pack.

Yah, we took it in the chin at $600...but that was my way of making good on that promise over a decade ago. I can't promise it will stay at that price forever, but as long as we are staying just a little bit green (barely) on it, we'll hold the price.

Lastly, on shipping. I should make a general announcement on this or something, but some of you might not know this but our lovely carriers FEDEX and UPS changed their policy in 2015. Instead of charging some items on actual weight vs dimensional weight, they shifted COMPLETELY over to dimensional weight. That means, anyone with a small box, got a better, cheaper rate (but those people probably ended up using USPS for their flat rate boxes)...but anyone who shipped a box bigger than a foot cube saw a huge increase in price. I wish there was more that I could say but its a burden we all had to bear from bringing items into the states to shipping them to you. The best we could do was try to find some level of bulk discount but even that is not as good as it used to be.

Wow. Appreciate the info. Since I did pay for a preorder, I feel very assured that the project is in good hands. Quick question, are the photos on the Anovos website of the prototype pack?

I do have question for you Got Maul.

I already have a very nice replica but this price point is tempting.

My question is is this a Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2 pack?

The pictured prototype and alice frame are clearly GB2 but all the advertising makes it out to be Ghostbusters just curious what the final product actually is?

Cool of you to answer some questions! Can you guys reveal anything on the shell? Production-sourced? 3D scanned? Custom build?

After seeing the sort of research that went into the patch, I'm jazzed to see what's next!

If vinny was on board for this creation it's going to be the best!! I have a lot of his work, the guy in my eyes is the best out there!

"Tripoli...you remember the good days ? Great to see you here. I have to tell you, getting this license was like "coming home"."

Just looked at some old photos and realized my first pack was back in 98. Yep,everyone putting their heads together to make these packs was awesome. The GB group always has been interesting. My first fiberglass pack was with your shells. Super replicas. I hope to be able to budget and pick up an Avanos pack within the next month.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back