Anovos EP7 Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by zeroginc, Apr 16, 2015.

1. zeroginc

zeroginc Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you seen the pics today? what do you think. kinda wish i held out today and not purchased the $350 stormtrooper lol
    11071945_10153201482252243_6971966361751355297_n.jpg

2. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the knees are a little funny but overall I'm liking the armor more and more with that nice view. There's a little more McQuarrie sneaking in there with the chest plate, ribbed elbow joint, and gauntlets. Very cool.

Taking a second look, the knees actually follow the McQuarrie trooper design but with an additional cut above the knee to account for movement.

[​IMG]

whiteee and CGClone like this.
  3. syldar

syldar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like the new look, though I am more interested in at present in seeing more of the blasters.

4. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Just from the trailer and the account of how the stormtroopers moved in the OT, these guys will look much better on screen with movement, etc.

Its growing on me, not because I dont like, just not used to it. Its a great design.

5. tyleratticus

tyleratticus New Member

Has anyone who has been to the Anovos booth at Celebration found out a release date or price? I want one!

6. Commander Fox

Commander Fox New Member

Now, with the LIVE STREAM, all the pictures and photos, the trailers and all the material from the Star Wars Celebration, we finally have all the material needed to start working on the Replica of the new Stormtrooper armor before the movie hits theaters. ARE YOU READY????

7. deserthunter

deserthunter Well-Known Member

Deffinately want one!!

8. zeroginc

9. syldar

syldar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That flamer trooper looks pretty darn good.

Though the pictures I am seeing of the blasters make them look like they are plastic toys.

10. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a definite Anovos product that's in development?

11. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

Anovos has already done the armor,a bunch of 501st members were given the chance to be the first to order it. There are a bunch walking around Celebration :)

Attached Files:

Arch27 likes this.
  12. zeroginc

Yes indeed :) so kool

10934019_918313068190914_906136990229987762_n.jpg

whiteee and joshvanrad like this.
  13. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would Pre order it in a hot second from Anovos. I want to know how accurate it is from the filming costumes. What I really want to hear is Anovos say......we made them for the movie.

14. cboath

cboath Master Member

I want the chrometrooper! :)

15. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I want one. Now.

16. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy one and then burn it:sick It looks terrible and 'motorbike' helmet is the worst part....yuck

Clutch likes this.
  17. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Ok guys I have to say now, despite what I said in the TFA thread, this is starting to grow on me. I still say the chest plate and leg armor is a little light on detail, but not as bad as I thought.

18. Peep Williams

Peep Williams Active Member

I like almost everything about the new armor except I agree that the chest and back are too bare, and somethings just "off" about the legs. Too thick maybe? I dunno.

I ALMOST like the new snowtrooper, but I just don't. It looks like they need to scale down the helmet by I dunno, about 10-15%. I'm getting a Spaceballs Dark Helmet vibe off it for some reason.

19. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought EXACTLY the same thing about the snowtrooper.

20. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love it, and normally something like this takes time to grow on me, but these are awesome and would love to know how much and when the preorder is.

21. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

may have been said here already but the helmet is 1/4" fiberglass ...was the armor probably ABS since the 501st members that got them by NDA before the show had to finish it?

22. jkno

jkno Master Member

My true love for the old "crappy" armors and suits will never die. These are quite nice, a bit too much like TRON suits or the new Total Recall robots though. But I guess everything will connect with how good the new movie(s) will be in the end.

23. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Correct, the armor is ABS pulled in sheets. Then they picked up the helmets at the Anovos booth. My understanding is that the fiberglass helmets are a limited run and subsequent helmets will be injection molded plastic.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  24. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Can't find the words. Too barrel chested and not a fan of the round domes. Not very form fitting and sexy like an original TK.

25. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Disagreements are fine, but let's keep the personal insults out of it. Thanks.

Arch27 likes this.
  26. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First of all, why would you go blowing a lot of money on something to support the vendor on something you hate and then burn it? Save your money and just don't buy it! Your wallet is where you speak loudest.

mvanwalks421 and Riceball like this.
  27. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

I put these in the Storm Trooper thread, but I'll put them here too.

Attached Files:

28. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The movie suits were made in the UK by Propshop.

29. Lear60man

For those lucky few 501st guys.....How is the movement? A proper TK is ok to walk around in, but thats it. Can you drop a knee or sit?

30. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

I'd say they did a great job from what I've seen. I fully expected them to reveal they made the armor for the movie but I suppose that isn't the case.

31. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

Overall, I like it. The only thing I don't particularly care for are the funky spats/cuffs on the boot tops.

32. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm a fan of the entire rig! Looks great. Well done, guys! :thumbsup

-Rylo

33. akasha1963

akasha1963 New Member

I dint believe the new TKs are available yet. The just had 75 of them for the big reveal.

Arch27 likes this.
  34. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

They aren't. Much to my annoyance. If those were available now for the Early Bird pricing of $350 for a finished helmet plus armor kit, oh HELL yeah I'd be all over that. *sigh*

--Jonah

35. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

They mentioned tentative pricing in an interview yesterday.

36. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

How much do you want to bet that EpVII Stromtrooper Armor will be available in the 10 to 12 months.

Thats "IF" Anovos built the armor unveiled at celebration. All they have to do is figure out the offer, brace for a flood of orders, and ramp up production. Of course they will probably ship the old school TK before offering the EpVII stuff.

This is based completely off of a feeling I have.

37. joker1231

joker1231 Active Member

I really like the new suit. I nod to the Asymmetrical knees would have been cool. Overall though it seems like a reasonable design departure for 30 years. It falls prey to a bit of the modern "make it look super smoooooth" design but i think it's tasteful. I WANT ONE O__O

38. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah... OK. You go ahead and buy one and burn it. You have fun doing that.

Not liking it is one thing... but to go way out of your way to try to make your point by stating that you're going to do something that you're clearly not going to do is just childish.

39. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I am not in the 501st, but I wore one of the suits for about 5 hours during the opening ceremony. The movement IS restricted, due to the design. The arms and legs are sealed with rubber gaskets between the parts and it does not allow for ease of movement. With that being said, we still climbed steep stairs and were able to hold our guns pretty easily.

Don't think you can easily sit.

Can't drop to a knee.

Can't easily remove your own helmet.

This is NOT an ANOVOS issue, but limitations of the costume design. If you were willing to be less true to the original design, a number of these limitations could be overcome.

joshvanrad likes this.
  40. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Can't comment on availability except to say they will be up for preorder when they are up... :( Don't mean to be vague, but it is what it is.

Can confirm ANOVOS did produce all of the suits seen at C7. They produced and built the 10 seen on stage (I was #7) and produced about 75 kits that 501st members built and wore at the show.

41. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

They said in the interview that you can expect the suits to be available for purchase third to early forth quarter this year. The prices will more than likely range between $400-2500 for the suit, and between $350-800 for the helmet I believe.

42. Lear60man

Lucky dog! Ill take limitations over comfort any day. My TE2 suit is a bear to do anything but stand and walk, but its accurate and thats all that matters. It looks like Anovos is going to get some of my $$ sooner and later this year

43. CorrosiveFX

CorrosiveFX New Member

I think the shape of the ANOVOS helmet looks a lot thinner and less menacing than the screen used helmets.

I'm guessing the screen used suits are the ones on display with the other costumes, comparing photos of the two they look like they're built on completely different planes, and the narrower look of the ANOVOS helmet makes it look a little odd.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  44. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

45. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Woah! Who told you that?

They were built by Pierre Bohanna's Costume FX team.

Propshop just scanned them.

46. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oooh my bad :) Can't remember for the life of me who told me that but suffice to say, the movie suits weren't made by Anovos

Laser Brain likes this.
  47. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The folks at the booth told me that they are going to have them available for order by Christmas. They didn't specify if that would be pre order. This suit rocks in person.

48. Nairod

Nairod Active Member

An easy comparison between ANOVOS replica and screen used one (helmet) quickly made:

ZQ1HFH7.jpg

JKRIB likes this.
  49. Lear60man

Close enough fo government work. To really get into the dirty we would have to have a side my side comparison from the same angles etc.

Funny how it took decades for a close Stormtrooper. Episode VII has not even been released yet and Anovos has a fantastic suit. I guess it helps to have studio reference materials at your fingertips. Im sure it will be a home run.....as its rounding third now! Great job and great pics of the little details that havent been seen until now.

Arch27 likes this.
  50. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The (very friendly) woman at the Anovos booth said that they would start taking pre-order a month or two before the movie comes out (basically as early as Lucasfilm will let them). No indication of when the helmets would actually ship. There will be two version of the helmets, a deluxe fiberglass version with full lining estimated to cost between $600 and $800 and a molded ABS version, also with lining for $200 to $400.