Another Tie Fighter Pilot Costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Nick K, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Hello again, and welcome to my latest creation. This time it is something to wear to Gala's and other events so I won't feel left out. I have always liked the Tie Pilot gear. They look a little menacing and the helmet itself looks a bit like an insects head from the side profile. COOL. So I asked Blaxmyth if he had a pep file for the X-wing helmet and he produced one which I duly made, but found that it was too big, so he resized it and that one was much better. As I didn't want to spend a lot of money on everything, I decided to make what I could, by hand.
    After cutting out the pieces and gluing them all together, I took it round to him and we put it against a real helicopter helmet and its sizing was pretty spot on. I applied some resin to the inside along with fibreglass cloth and more resin to the outside. Once this was left to cure for a few days, I trimmed off the excess bits around the edges and cleaned them up, so I could handle it without getting punctured by stray glass strands.Ouch!
    Before I continue though, I was wondering if anyone out there, who has a Tie Pilot Helmet, could measure the width, height and thickness of the ears, so I can carve them out of MDF? Would be much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2071.JPG

Blaxmyth, ABE and Indy Magnoli like this.
  2. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks really good for an X-wing pilot helmet! Looking good so far.

However, the TIE pilot helmet is wider than the X-wing pilots' helmets.
    The helmet shells in the movies were two parts of vacuformed plastic: left and right that were joined in the middle with a single flat strip of plastic over the mohawk. This mohawk is much wider on the TIE pilots' helmets than on the X-wing pilots' helmets.
    The reason why it is widers is because the width of the Stormtrooper face plate that has to fit in there. The mohawk cap in the front is also different.

Polyester resin should adhere well to itself if you clean the surface with acetone before laying on more. But why not make both costumes? I think the X-wing pilot is, while not considered as "cool" as when showing your face, the X-wing pilot is more recognized and will stand out among a few imps.
    The boots and gauntlets for both costumes are the same. The flight suits and comm pads are the same except for the colour / paintjob.

Dart and ABE like this.
  3. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Pockets on flight suits are different.
    TIE is missing the lower leg pockets and pocket flaps are chevron, where the X-Wing is flat.

4. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sorry, I should maybe have been more specific. That is true for most suits in ESB and ROTJ but in ANH all Rebel and Empire flight suits were of the same pattern: with rectangular pocket flaps and three pockets per leg.

The revision of the flight suit with chevron pocket flaps appeared first in ESB and is worn by Imperials in ESB and ROTJ. One black ANH-style flight suit with rectangular pocket flaps has been spotted in a production image from ROTJ though.
    I would speculate that why don't see Rebels with suits of the second revision in ESB or ROTJ is because there were many left-over suits from ANH. There were many more Rebels in orange or grey suits in ANH than there were Imperials - enough suits for all Rebel pilots and techs in ESB. There were also new types of Rebel pilots in ROTJ but they got suits of completely different patterns.

The most common suits to buy are Mon Cal (Faraway Creations), Mr Bojangles (Wampa Wear) and Cosplaysky.
    Mon Cal's suit is closer to the ANH version but has the chevron in the neck like the Imperial ESB/ROTJ version. I once got an orange and a black one and had to do some mods on each to make them into the ANH and Imperial ESB version respectively. Wampa Wear's flight suit is the ANH version. Cosplaysky's suit is the ESB/ROTj Imperial version and in a lighter fabric which is more accurate but may be less durable for costuming.
    So... if you are doing a ANH-style costume and/or getting Mon Cal's flight suit then the difference is the colour only. ;)

5. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, which is greatly appreciated, but wait, there is more to come. As Darth Lars says, the helmet is wider, but I wanted to sand and fill the helmet as it is, so that I can handle it better. Mods will be show in up coming posts. As you can see in the pics, I have applied filler to the helmet and started sanding it to a smooth finish. I didn't apply any to the top of the mohawk because I will be cutting it down the middle using the pep fold lines as a guide. Ah ha.

IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2134.JPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

And as you are discussing the flight suit, I already have mine as well as boots. The gloves in the pic aren't the proper ones, but I had them lying round, so I put them on to get the effect. And before you say it, yes I am a bit on the short side,BUT, at least my helmet wont get knocked about as much.:lol
    IMG_0592.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

The next step was to fill and sand, fill and sand again until I was happy with the finish. I also carefully used my Wen Mini Tool to score the parting line down the mohawk. Then I sprayed the whole thing with black primer to seal the filler and see any imperfections.

IMG_2143.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2148.JPG

8. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Once this had dried, I sanded it down with wet 'n' dry sandpaper and then parted the two halves. I then made a cardboard template for the detail missing from the top of the ear and then I cut it out of some plastic sheet which now made the whole thing look more 'real'. I bent the plastic to shape and glued it in position.

IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2164.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2175.JPG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Blaxmyth likes this.
  9. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Next, I applied grey primer to the two halves and the face plate and then sanded them smooth.I then cut to size a strip of black styrene 82mm wide and then using Epoxy Super Strength glue, I screwed it down to the mohawk halves with surefast coarse screws and allowed this to dry for 2 days. After that, I dry fitted the face plate in to see what it would look like. I noticed that I would have to trim away a wedge shape piece of plastic from the back edge of each ' jowl ', on each side, to make it fit better.

IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2231.JPG IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2268.JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  10. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I replicated the original oxygen strap mounts, by making them out of thin MDF, shaping, sanding and gluing them into position on either side of the helmet. Next I had to increase the height of the forehead on the face-plate because when viewed from the front, there would have been a large gap inside because of the size of the mohawk, so I measured the width and height needed and glued it in the center of the face-plate. I then cut another piece of plastic and laminated this on top of the first to flush it all with the vac-formed shell.

IMG_2249.JPG IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2255.JPG

11. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

So. Here are some more pics of the build. Building up the front of the mowhawk and adding the tapered piece to the top. Plus, when I made the front divider, I realized that it was too short on top, so added another small piece of MDF to it and it looks a lot better.

IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2282.JPG IMG_2283.JPG IMG_2287.JPG IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2272.JPG

Blaxmyth likes this.
  12. jarebear

jarebear New Member

Looking pretty cool

13. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Thanks for that jarebear. I'm working on the ears at the moment.

14. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Step by Step pics of how I went about making the ears. I hope the pictures help to explain how I went about doing it. If there are any questions, then please feel free to ask them, and I will endeavor to answer them to the best of my ability. The main thing I was worried about was forming the profile of the helmet to the back of the ear, so I decided to use oil as a release agent on the helmet and when the ear was placed into position, I applied pressure and the filler oozed out slightly so that I could trim the excess off when it was dry. Worked a treat. I removed the oil later with paint thinners.
    IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2382.JPG

Attached Files:

15. THXBOY

THXBOY Active Member

Looks great! With just the primer it looks like an At-At driver.....hmmmmmmm

16. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

very tidy man subscribed!

17. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

While working on my costume, I need to know a few things about the sizes,shapes etc for the shoulder straps and bits, and was wondering if anyone could help. I know some of the bits are Storm Trooper, but how were they fastened to the shoulders? I've been on the 501st site, but mostly ST stuff there. Thanks.

18. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Hi there. Took a couple of pictures of the helmet after drilling out the hose holes.

IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2444.JPG

19. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Well, I've been busy trying to get this finished. Here is where I am up to at the moment. Once I applied the first coat of black and let it dry, I could see where the imperfections were, so I sprayed sanding primer on the areas, let it dry and sanded this. Worked well as a filler. I then applied the final coat and it looks great. Needs a cut and polish, but I am pleased with the end result.

IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2475.JPG IMG_2474.JPG

oota goota likes this.
  20. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Beautiful work on the helmet! Where'd the armor come from?

21. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Hi Pedro. The front and rear plates were from a Pepakura file Blaxmyth had, and then fibreglassed. I then added a sheet of thin mdf to the back one and added a piece of styrene sheet that I had cut out using a template to the bottom of the front one and cut out the center section. I then made templates for the side, top and bottom, and cut these from thin mdf. Then I glued these to the fibreglass with Super strength Arahldite epoxy glue.

IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2009.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    MCM likes this.
  22. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

After the glue was dry, I realized that the front edge needed trimming as it wasn't straight up and down. Doing that, it looked a lot better, and I then cut and glued the cover plate on with Arahldite. Once this was set, I made the neck opening smaller by cutting some plastic strip and glueing these the the underside of of the armour and then putting filler on the top surface to build it up level with the fibreglass. It was the a matter of sanding, sealing filling and sanding again and again until it was all smooth and blended into the rest of the armour. I then heavily primed it all and then sanded it all to a smooth finish ready for the top coat.

IMG_2037.JPG IMG_2038.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2053.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  23. Blaxmyth

Blaxmyth Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nick - can't see the pics!

24. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Next, I sprayed some black primer onto it and sanded, filled, well you know the drill. It came out really well.

IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2442.JPG

Attached Files:

Blaxmyth likes this.
  25. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of the progress on the helmet. The gloss coat and markings. I also decided to do a different canon scheme and using a picture off the net which had Red Stripes, I decided to use Blue reflective stripes and Red for the insignia on top of the mowhawk.

IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2509.JPG IMG_2511.JPG IMG_2542.JPG IMG_2545.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2540.JPG

SofaKing01 and oota goota like this.
  26. Blaxmyth

So, er.... will you be entering the Secret Santa this year?

Just wondering.... :D

The Cog likes this.
  27. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I don't know...Is it on this year? I haven't heard anything.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  28. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Have started to install the fans by making the holding frames for them. Bent out of 25mm wide aluminium flat. The bigger fan blows air over my face and the smaller 30mm fan in the Mohawk, hopefully, will blow cool air over the top of my head, which is where all the heat in a helmet ends up. These two fans will be individually switched, so I can use each as required.

IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2579.JPG

Rosleff and oota goota like this.
  29. noble 10

noble 10 New Member

that looks amazing

30. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Thanks noble 10. Yes it's getting there. I have been working on the Chest Box at the same time, so here are some pics. Using a drawing I got off the Internet, I had it enlarged to a roughly correct size,(the squares being 25mm or 1"), and began cutting out the sides in Thinline MDF. I then marked where the pipes would go and place the end pieces in a vice and using a drill, drilled holes all the way round to make it easier to remove the waste. I then marked where I needed to cut the pipe and wrapped masking tape around it to give me a straight edge to cut to.

IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2465.JPG IMG_2467.JPG IMG_2470.JPG IMG_2469.JPG IMG_2471.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  31. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

this pic might help you
    chest box in the Lucas archive
    note the bottom where the greeblies go should be angled not vertical like the printed reference your using

Attached Files:

32. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Thanks for that geordietrooper but I'm going to stick with what I have as this will be personalized for me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  33. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Next I started assembling the pipe and caps to the sides. I then cut up the front pieces and glued them on with superglue using accelerator to speed up the process. I cut narrow strips to do the radius at the bottom and the sanded the MDF smooth before applying filler. This was then sanded smooth with a coarse sandpaper to give a nice finish. Tamiya model filler was then used to fill in any discrepancies.

IMG_2472.JPG IMG_2480.JPG IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2530.JPG IMG_2531.JPG

Blaxmyth likes this.
  34. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I then cut out and tapered the top portion of the box and glued this to the main body. When this was done, I cut out the switches from 18mm/3/4" MDF and sanded smooth then applied a coat of Superglue to seal them. I then cut out a lid to go on top. This will remain separate but will be held in place with magnets as I want to install LEDs in two of the switches.
    I then sanded down the box and applied a coat of primer to it and to the switches at the same time. I assembled the tapered readout panel, to go on top, out of black styrene and then cut out a hole in the lid so the wiring for the switch could go through.

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2575.JPG IMG_2580.JPG IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2590.JPG IMG_2593.JPG

Blaxmyth likes this.
  35. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Made the Fan Frames to hold the fans in position in the helmet. Large one for the face mounted just in front of my mouth and aimed upwards, and a smaller one to be fitted at the front end of the Mohawk to suck air in from the vent? at the front , and blow over the top of my head.

IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2576.JPG

36. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I had a friend turn up some of the greeblies on his lathe and they turned out really well. They certainly make the helmet.

IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2608.JPG

MCM likes this.
  37. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I then started to instal the foam padding and electrics for the fans. I also put in the green film for the eyes.

IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

MCM likes this.
  38. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm digging this thread. My fiance and I are putting together a Tie pilot outfit ourselves and this thread has been a huge source of inspiration. I'm really digging your project!

39. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that positive feedback MCM. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

40. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Now, that 'Pill Box' that I have seen so many of you ask "Where can you buy one from?". Well, this took me all of 20 minutes to cut out, paint and glue. So, anyone wanting one should have a crack at making one yourself. Come on. Give it a go. You will be surprised how easy it is to make. I first cut the MDF which is 6mm thick ( this I believe is a bit too thin, so I have now made a new one at 9mm thick ) to a size of 60mm-21/2" and 40mm 11/2"and then cut out the hinge corners and rebate for clasp at the front. Once this was done, I sanded the top edges round and then sealed the whole this in Super Glue. When this was dry, I sanded it again with wet'n'dry to a smooth finish and primed and painted it. The white is just plain white styrene which I cut to size glued the hinges and clasp plate on and then stuck it to the back of the box to line up with the recesses that were cut out on the lid. All done. Hope this helps.

IMG_2522.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2526.JPG IMG_2527.JPG IMG_2528.JPG IMG_2536.JPG IMG_2534.JPG

MCM likes this.
  41. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

After the primer was applied and allowed to dry, 2 coats of Gloss Black was put on and in 30minutes I was handling the box and putting the rocker switches on. The grey ones were drilled out to accommodate the 2 LEDs I purchased. Wiring was then soldered to the terminals and the switches glued into position. The wires were then connected to the switch and power supply,which is 2 x AAA batteries in a holder.

IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2622.JPG

42. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I then made the sprocket wheels from thick plastic and added thin plastic to the outer edge where the teeth would be. I put the wheels in the vice and, using a chainsaw file, cut the teeth down to a marked line to get each one the same depth. I then found some plastic tube, which was an old kit part, and cut this to a length that looked right and glued these on. Then I found an old ball point pen that I could use the main body for the inner ring and cut this to the same depth as the outer ring and glued this on. Then, putting three cut-off discs on the shaft of my drill, I cut the slots across the two rings and they looked pretty good. I cut two small black plastic discs to go on the back of each to act as spacers and then I primed and painted them in an acrylic silver spray paint from the Plasticote range.

IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2662.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2668.JPG

43. Blaxmyth

Nice tip! Thanks for that!

44. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

So, the ComPad. I had made the main surface about three months ago, and finally had gotten round to doing the intricate details. These were just cut from flat plastic to the correct size and glued in place. Having such a large surface of detail, it is a shame that most of it is covered when installed in the sleeve pocket, which only provides a 55mm x 60mm ( that is 21/4" x 21/2" to you guys ) window.

IMG_2635.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2645.JPG

45. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Once the gloss finish was applied to the armor, I set about working out where the shoulder straps were to be located. I then drilled holes through all the components and bolted them together, putting the bolt head through a screw cover base and then popping the top cap on. worked a treat and looks good. The clips for the elastic were bent up from heavy wire weedmat staples. I then feed the elastic strap through these and sewed the strap together.

IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2624.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Attached Files:

46. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

I also made a holster (RH) for the DL44 I made a while ago, to compliment the outfit. Well, I think that is all. I took it for a spin at a School gala in Paraparaumu, near Wellington, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was very rewarding to hear kids and adults alike compliment me on the costume and, although it took nearly 10 months to put together, was very gratifying in the end. You definitely get a buzz out of the experience. Right, 1 troop down, and goodness knows how many more to follow:).
    Now, what will I build next? OOOHH! I know... ;)

IMG_2686.JPG IMG_2689.JPG IMG_20151107_101503 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_101549 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_105635 - Copy - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_105556.jpg DSC00183.JPG

Blaxmyth and MCM like this.
  47. Blaxmyth

Well done! This thread is a marvellous tutorial as well as a record of a prop journey. :thumbsup

superpael likes this.