Another "The Child" Sculpture

NBergmann

Been working on a sculpture of Grogu from the Mandalorian. Trying to get as close as I can to screen accurate (with hands and feet too) and make a mold of him.

I am debating on what final material would be best for the final casting: resin, prosthetic silicone, latex? Would like to hear thoughts from some people with more experience. Let me know what you think!

20201219_163540.jpg
20201219_143403.jpg
20201210_225043.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience, but I would suggest a Dragon Skin or Ecoflex silicone. I've found both very easy to work with have gotten fantastic results. There are different versions to pick from depending on how soft or durable you want it to be.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I would suggest a Dragon Skin or Ecoflex silicone. I've found both very easy to work with have gotten fantastic results. There are different versions to pick from depending on how soft or durable you want it to be.
Dragon skin definitely looks like a good option for the final casting. Probably need to do more digging in the Sculpture thread for what people use to make a mold of plasticine clay; solid vs flexible mother-mold. Pouring thinned silicone around the head would probably capture the most detail, but I'm not sure how casting Dragon skin into a silicone mold would turn out. Even with a release agent I'm afraid of the two bonding.

There are incredibly talented people on here with much more experience than I have that hopefully will give you suggestions, too.

If your going to use platinum silicone, make sure the clay used for your sculpture is compatible.

Stan Winston's online school has a video series "Silicone Mask Making part 1-3" that shows how to make a great reusable rigid mold and cast in silicone. I would highly recommend the videos. I used a similar process for a project before Stan Winston released their videos (which would have helped me enormously and saved a lot of money and mistakes on my part). Stan Winston's videos of patching silicone and painting silicone are also fantastic! Here's my old thread T Rex puppet sculpt which was my first time trying these processes. It lists some of what I learned and trouble I had along the way.

Smooth On Inc. has a help line you can call for advice. They have often suggested different products or methods based on what I wanted to do than I had planned to use, and they have always been right. Their help line is a great resource. They should be able to give you the pluses and minuses of different types of molds for what you want to achieve.

Good luck! I look forward to watching your progress.

While I like your sculpt a lot, I feel that it`s an old version of the character. That`s fine if you theorize that Grogu will never ``grow`` in height, but will get old like Yoda for example.;) (y)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back