(Another) Small-scale TOS Shuttlecraft

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
Well, since having done up those two in-scale masters for Steve's half-scale TOS Enterprise kit last summer, I've recently gotten further interest regarding my work as I was contacted by someone to do a commissioned build for one so the fellow can include it with his own half-scale TOS Enterprise build.

That being said, here are a few pics of what little progress I've been able to do thus far:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 01
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 02
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 03
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 04

At this point, I've managed to glue two 1/4" pieces of PVC foamboard together and made the rough forward angles for the top and bottom, and also removed a little material from the underside at the rear.

I had been hoping to put a good amount of time into it this long weekend, but I suffered a bit of an injury while at the driving range for a friend's bachelor party on Saturday.

I got some really nasty blisters on my thumbs, as I've never played golf before in my life, and so didn't know how to hold the damn golf club. As such, I haven't been able to do much with my hands the last couple days.

Hopefully they'll heal soon enough and I can again work on this for the customer, as well as get more time in on my friend's TOS-era Constellation Class Starship birthday gift.

Funny you should mention that, as I had drawn up a rough schematic for an in-scale shuttlebay to go with Steve's kit. I just never did anything with it :p lol

Now that my thumbs have pretty much recovered, lol, I was able to do some more work on the main hull in my off-time last night:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 05
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 06
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 07
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 08

I've managed to do a little more shaping to the hull, and refined some of the contours. Still working on getting the side angles just right, but once that's done I will start applying thin sheet styrene to the sides of the hull. After that will come the nacelle sub-assemblies.

All told, I've invested maybe two increment periods of 15 minutes to this overall. Shouldn't take long for the rest to come together :)

EDIT: I decided to go back and revisit the rough plans I've drawn up for the Shuttlebay. Have to clean it up a bit, but once I'm done I've been further commissioned by the client to build up one of those for his half studio-scale Enterprise as well. Should be interesting.

Thanks, Jerry! It's nice to know someone's interested in this project :p lol

Although I didn't take any pics, additionally I've puttied some spots on the stepped underside at the rear.

I think I've got the angles just about right, which is good because I really want to get to applying the styrene.

Once that happens, it'll really start to look the part :cool

Here's the latest progress pics from this evening (I apologize for some of the pics being blurry; my hand wasn't steady):

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 09
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 10
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 11
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 12
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 13

Just as I'd hoped to do today, I was able to get the majority of the styrene adhered to the sides of the hull. I made sure to add the correct roof angle tapering down toward the rear engine, and also added in the recessed "lip" on the underside of the hull, as on the screen-used versions.

Next I plan to fabricate the panel with the three recessed viewports at the bow end, and will then begin work on the nacelle sub-assemblies. She's coming along pretty well, I'd say. This being my fourth such build, it's not exactly a surprise, lol.

Thanks! I haven't been feeling too well the last few days, so I haven't done anything more with it, but do plan on working on it more this afternoon. So, I should have more WiP pics to post later :)

Thanks much :)

Well, due to further planning of my upcoming wedding, between that and my day job I haven't really had much time to work on this. Luckily I'm not working against a strict deadline, lol. Below is today's progress:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 14
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 15
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 16
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 17

Just have to clean up some of the putty work at the rear, but I think I'm just about ready to move on to the nacelle sub-assemblies. Hopefully will be able to get around to that sometime this week. Will keep those interested posted.

One of the things I like about doing numerous builds of this sort, is that everytime I'm motivated to do another I always do something different to it to make it a better build all around.

Essentially, everytime someone asks me to do up one of these, I always make it just a little better than the last one. Then again, this hobby's a constant learning experience, always improving our skills and methods.

The process never ends, though this build should be fairly soon :) Then, onto the in-scale Shuttlebay...

Alright, so I'm still not done (haven't been home the last day and a half; friends and family wanted to see us during the Canada Day long weekend), but here's what I managed to do thus far:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 18
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 19
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 20
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 21
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 22
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 23
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 24
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 25

As can be seen in the first four pics, I managed to put in the "lip" that runs along the middle of the hull, as well as roughly assembled the nacelle "wings" that will eventually attach to the pylons/struts, and subsequently the nacelles.

Though I feel the "lip" running the length of the bow is just how it should be, I think there's still a little more on the sides to be sanded off, so that the "lip" doesn't stick out too far from the hull and end up looking disproportionate.

The three pics after those just better show the "lip" running along the middle of the hull, and the last pic shows the middle groove on the underside of the "wings" for the pylons/struts to fit into, much as I began doing for the parts of my studio-scale Shuttlecraft.

I know it doesn't look like much more was done, but a lot of time and effort went into the newly-added details you see before you.

EDIT: Once I've cleaned up the edges of the "wings" I'll be onto the pylons/struts and nacelles themselves. Like the last build I did, I plan on cutting a little "in-step" on the portside nacelle to match both the full-size mock-up and studio-scale models.

Also in keeping with the details present on the larger scale models, I was thinking of maybe adding the details on the underside of the bow. I know it isn't necessary, but like I said with every build I do I like to try and make the next one just a little bit better than the last.

I know to some it may seem like a little TOO much attention to detail, but being the anal-retentive prop builder I am, sometimes I just can't help myself, lol.

An update, believe it or not! :p

Due to ongoing wedding preparations (finally wrapping that up), late days at work and some unforseen delays with this project, I haven't really been in a position to devote a lot of time to completing this build. I'm pleased to say I'm so very close now, though.

Below are some WiP pics showing the additional work put in yesterday evening:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 26
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 27
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 28
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 29

I finally managed to complete the nacelle (wing/strut/nacelle) sub-assemblies, and am waiting on the JB Weld I applied to the inside of the struts to ensure a stronger hold to the nacelles. I'll sand that down a bit to smooth it out, slap on some primer and they should be done.

As can clearly be seen, the main hull has been given a full coat of primer and looks pretty much ready to go. I even managed to add the under-nose details as I did on my 22" studio-scale Shuttlecraft, and must say it adds a nice touch.

Other than a little sanding, maybe a little puttying, I just need to scribe in the door on the port side and it should be ready to go to its owner very soon :)

From a construction standpoint, this and the studio-scale build are quite similar (ie. middle ridge on underside of wings to insert strut, under-nose details). My wife was amazed I was able to put all that into such a small build.

Then again, this is my fourth such build, so I've learned a thing or two with each and gotten better, lol.

Thanks, guys! :)

I'm so very pleased with how well this one turned out, even better and more detailed than the last one.

I almost don't want to give it up, lol.

This will make for a great little addition to your half-scale TOS Enterprise studio model, Trooper.

Here are the final WiP pics for this project:

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 30
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 31
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 32

New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 33
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 34
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 35
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 36
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 37
New small-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 38

If I didn't need to go to work in a few minutes, I'd post my usual description of the work I've done at this stage, and my thoughts on some of my process to get it to this point.

As it is, though, I don't have time so I'll let the pics do the talking for now ;)

Oh, and I'll be sending you the shipping/tracking info shortly (sent it off first thing yesterday morning), Trooper.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back