Another show-off: TNG 1st Season Mark VI Tricorder

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, so Matt already has a kick-ass version of this tricorder. I'm catching up.

I built this up from the roddenberry.com kit. Hero-izing it was a bit more involved than hero-izing the Ed Miarecki vacuformed versions. The electronics (awesomely done by Brian Makepeace using the original, circa 1987, obsolete components) were a bit more work to install. I built an opening mechanism similar to what was present on the original versions, as well as the little latch for keeping the door closed. I also installed a sound unit so I could get the cool ratchet sound (the first season tricorders had a mechnical system that apparently wasn't completely reliable).

The handscanner also has electronics, but I don't like to remove it because the ball catches that hold it in, while accurate, tend to destroy the paint.

Well, here she is:

markVI1.jpg

And of course, a few movies:

Hi-res MOV format:
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/rnags/Props/season1markvi.mov

Compressed MPG format (so Munson can watch it on his obsolete system):
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/rnags/Props/season1markvi.MPG

Very nice build-up. I'm still cranking away on my 3rd season mark vi, but with the cold weather in my area I can't paint nothin.

Not a big fan of the 1st season trics, but you still gotta respect a nice build-up. Good stuff.

Sean

Thanks everyone.

Funny you should mention that. I originally had black tape on the bottom and painted the pivot rod black (like Munson's). But in my perusal of TNG episodes, all the first season reference I could find showed the bottom left gray. So I changed it. I like distinguishing it from the later seasons anyway.

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib@Feb 19 2006, 04:58 PM
Looks good.

Gonna put the gaffers tape on too right?
[snapback]1188293[/snapback]​

Hehe. Yeah, I've got the tricorder disease bad. I never thought I'd do this one.

Originally posted by masterjedi322@Feb 19 2006, 05:08 PM
Very nice build-up. I'm still cranking away on my 3rd season mark vi, but with the cold weather in my area I can't paint nothin.

Not a big fan of the 1st season trics, but you still gotta respect a nice build-up. Good stuff.

Sean
[snapback]1188295[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back