Another show-off: TNG 1st Season Mark VI Tricorder

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mr. Nagata, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, so Matt already has a kick-* version of this tricorder. I'm catching up.

I built this up from the roddenberry.com kit. Hero-izing it was a bit more involved than hero-izing the Ed Miarecki vacuformed versions. The electronics (awesomely done by Brian Makepeace using the original, circa 1987, obsolete components) were a bit more work to install. I built an opening mechanism similar to what was present on the original versions, as well as the little latch for keeping the door closed. I also installed a sound unit so I could get the cool ratchet sound (the first season tricorders had a mechnical system that apparently wasn't completely reliable).

The handscanner also has electronics, but I don't like to remove it because the ball catches that hold it in, while accurate, tend to destroy the paint.

Well, here she is:

[​IMG]

And of course, a few movies:

Hi-res MOV format:
    http://mercury.walagata.com/w/rnags/Props/season1markvi.mov

Compressed MPG format (so Munson can watch it on his obsolete system):
    http://mercury.walagata.com/w/rnags/Props/season1markvi.MPG

2. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Man O' man, that shore is purdy.

:D

The Mark XI/XII is my favorite tricorder.

3. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Looks good.

Gonna put the gaffers tape on too right?

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nicely Done. :)

5. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Very nice build-up. I'm still cranking away on my 3rd season mark vi, but with the cold weather in my area I can't paint nothin.

Not a big fan of the 1st season trics, but you still gotta respect a nice build-up. Good stuff.

Sean

6. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Sweeet. Love the ratchet sound. Very nice build-up.

Jay

7. Mr. Nagata

Thanks everyone.

Funny you should mention that. I originally had black tape on the bottom and painted the pivot rod black (like Munson's). But in my perusal of TNG episodes, all the first season reference I could find showed the bottom left gray. So I changed it. I like distinguishing it from the later seasons anyway.

8. Mr. Nagata

Hehe. Yeah, I've got the tricorder disease bad. I never thought I'd do this one.