Another scratch-built MK2 VIPER!

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
***Scroll done for completed pics.***

Well, I was too impatient to wait for Moe & Frank's splendid model, so just after New Years I started on my own scratch-build of a Mk2 Viper. I've done a few props from scratch before and a good deal of regular modelling, but this is my first proper scratch-built model.

Since patterning board seems hard to come by where I live (Sweden) I've used balsa wood, Evergreen sheets and (lots) of filler. I did some kit bashing for the rear detailing and cockpit. I am currently doing final cleanup and last week I did the decals by using Moe and Frank's pictures as a reference base. I am doing Adama's restored Viper which Apollo flew in the pilot.

I've been documenting the whole build and will be putting up a progress report/tutorial when it's done if anyone is interested. Though I will say- if you're not 100% sure that you want to do it all by yourself, get the kit instead. Because as you can see, the kit is shipping and I'm not done yet.

viper1.jpg

viper2.jpg

(note: I am not planning on casting and selling this.)

Cheers.

/Joe F

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

HOLY CRAP.. That is absolutely amazing. You scratch builders just blow me away. Beautiful work. I look forward to seeing the finished model and the accompanying tutorial.

Very nice work. And I am definately interested in your tutorial. I find the process of building as interesting as the finnished model in most cases.

Damn.
Thats really nice.

Originally posted by cobywan@May 10 2005, 03:25 PM
Very nice work.  And I am definately interested in your tutorial.  I find the process of building as interesting as the finnished model in most cases.
[snapback]984316[/snapback]​

:D As a professional scratchbuilder myself, I wholeheardly recommend scratchbuilding anything you want. It's more time consuming but, the results are like seeing your first born child come into the world.

I'm planning to build my own Mk II but, with a length of about 24", give or take.

:thumbsup By the way, Joatrash, really NICE work on the pilot. What did you use to make him/her?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Really puts a smile on my face. :)

I also have to give credit to Moe and Frank- if they weren't crazy enough to build their Mk2 then the idea probably wouldn't have occured to me. Also, a big THANK YOU to them for giving us a sneak-preview of their instruction sheet, because it was the first time I really got a clear view of some of the symbols on the Viper, despite hours of scouring the net. :)

I'm swamped in work at the moment, but I'll see what I can do about that tutorial/progress report. I'd like to have the whole thing done first.

/Joe F

Here's a quick update. Just started painting. I'm including a couple of detail shots. The surface still has a lot of imperfections, but I'm planning on making this Viper VERY battle-damaged, like a few of those in the early eps of Galactica s1.

viper3.jpg

/Joe F

Originally posted by Captain April@Jun 5 2005, 08:19 PM
What scale did you build your Viper? It looks bigger than the other one that's for sale.Real nice job Too...
[snapback]1004804[/snapback]​

That is sweet.. :thumbsup Can't wait for the tutorial. Like I will ever have time to build it, but still, can't wait. Very nice work..

Hey guys,

just a little quick update. Sorry I haven't been more active with it, but I've had to spread my time kinda thin for a couple months. Now that I've got access to the other areas of RPF, guess where all my time is going. Also plunked out for a big fat Joystick for the PC, so I've ben playing a lot of old Space Dogfighting Sims. Don't you just hate the fact that nobody seems to making them these days?

Anyway, I've got the decals on, and have done one pass of weathering, but it isn't done yet. I'm REALLY gonna mess this Viper up good. I have this image of one Mk2 after a real bashing (can't remember which ep) that's stuck in my mind. Also helps to cover any... ahem... rough spots. :D

Oh, yeah... almost forgot. No, sorry I will not be making molds. I have absolutely no experience in that area and I wouldn't want to take anything away from Frank and Moe. The Mk2 is their gig as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, I really never imagined I'd get this far to begin with.

My scale is about 1/24, just like F&M's. I think that mine is a little smaller though... about 30cm in length.

Well... it's DONE. At least the Viper is. Now I gotta make a stand for it. Sorry for the grainy pictures. I'll be putting up pictures from the entire build as soon as I have time.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

WOW... That's awesome....... I love your weathering... That was the look I was trying to go for but chickened out... May I ask what technique you used for the Chipping on the wings and around the intakes?

Chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back