Another Raiders Fertility Idol: FINISHED - 11/19/2014

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Seeing as how my Magneto helmet was a month long bust, I'm putting that on the back burner and will be working on this, in the mean time. It's only been about four days of me working on it but this is where it stand at the moment. Currently, it's being sculpted from the pictures of the actual thing from the Props Store of London and a few other pics (I don't know if it's the actual thing or a fan-made piece) I found of it next to the Staff of Ra Headpiece. I'm using mine as a reference point and, again, not sure if it's to scale or if mine is just really big.

There aren't many pictures of it early on in the sculpting progress, unfortunately, but it's built on top of a Smooth-On trial kit bottle, to give you an idea of size. I'm not sure of the accuracy, as I did have to compensate for a few things to hide the bottle underneath, but I am quite proud of the mouth, in any case.

PICS!

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

I'm hoping to get glass eyes for this but all the sites that I've seen so far are ridiculously expensive for a set. Anyone know of a good source? I've got a medical supply shop in town, would they have such things?

Last edited:
Re: Another Raiders Fertility Idol: A WIP

Very nice start Poopa. Looking forward to seeing this. Props like this don't come up much at the moment on the board.:thumbsup

Looks awesome! Wanted to try this myself sometime... What clay are you using? and do you have a link to that reference? :D

It's just some modeling clay from any hobby store. However, the head is all old clay I've had and it's fairly firm; the body is a plasticine modeling clay that's softer in texture. I didn't know it at the time but it was cheap at Michaels, so I didn't really care. I recommend using the firmer stuff, so you can better carve details and so it doesn't indent so easily.

Here are the photos I'm using:

Idol000.jpgindiana_jones_wallpaper.jpglostarkidol.jpgprop-store-collection-raiders-fertility-idol-01.jpgprop-store-collection-raiders-fertility-idol-03.jpgraiders-of-the-lost-ark-fertility-idol-publicity-still-02.jpg

You've chosen a great version of the idol to work to and its looking especially good.

I'm flattered to see my idol in amongst the rest of your reference..

Best of luck

MARK

You've chosen a great version of the idol to work to and its looking especially good.

I'm flattered to see my idol in amongst the rest of your reference..

Best of luck

MARK

Thanks! I always see the Stunt around instead of the Hero, so I figured, "why not?" It's what you see on screen, up-close. Who would want anything more?

Strangely, yours seems to be the only one I could find that I could have a reference of scale for; your Staff of Ra Headpiece was somewhere I could start from.

Hahaha, what a cool idea, I've never actually stopped and looked at that thing, but it's cool. This looks like one to follow.

Great job so far! Its always great seeing a project start from clay, and this one is really starting to take shape!

Another option for cheap eyes is to go to a local thrift shop and raid the toy section. I've "blinded" more than a few dolls for the sake of other projects. In my area you can get a doll at a thrift shop for $2-$5.

That said, if you a throwing away a pile of dolls without eyes, make sure to use a sealed garbage bag or the neighbors and garbage man will look at you funny. I say this from experience.

Another option for cheap eyes is to go to a local thrift shop and raid the toy section. I've "blinded" more than a few dolls for the sake of other projects. In my area you can get a doll at a thrift shop for $2-$5.

That said, if you a throwing away a pile of dolls without eyes, make sure to use a sealed garbage bag or the neighbors and garbage man will look at you funny. I say this from experience.

Good advice, though, the dolls I'd have to find would have to be fairly big if the eyes for my idol are to be proportionate.

Looks like you are off to a great start. This has always been my favourite prop, so I always enjoy when someone takes a crack at it!

Good luck with the rest of the sculpting!

UPDATE!

The sculpt, I think I can safely say, is done! It's as accurate as I could make it (meaning "how much I could stand making it") and barring the compensation needed for building it on top of a canister, I think it's fairly close. The only thing I can say I didn't consciously make an effort at replicating in exact detail was the lines of hair. I counted 50 some odd lines on the original but couldn't be bothered to replicate them exactly in my sculpt. All I need to do now is mold it and wait for the eyes to arrive. After casting, some sanding ought to get this thing smoother than I could possibly get it by hand.

Picture time!

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Another Raiders Fertility Idol: A WIP - 7/29/2014

First test pull cast, lightly sanded, primed and color tested. The gold I have on hand isn't as lustrous as I would like and the gold I had on it before wasn't very gold colored (despite it saying "gold" on the can).

Hopefully a trip to the hardware store can fix that.

PICS!

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Re: Another Raiders Fertility Idol: A WIP - 8/3/2014

I picked up some of that premium metallic Krylon paint at Hobby Lobby and I'm quite impressed by it. If I had bothered to sand this thing smooth, this would've looked really stellar!

001.JPG

Re: Another Raiders Fertility Idol: A WIP - 8/3/2014

I've had to put this on the back burner for a short time for other things but here's a bit of bump to show what's new with this.

004.JPG

Copies cast in Onyx and then sanded and given a spay of black glossy paint. The hitch I'm on now is trying to figure a way to keep the eyes in the head when I move onto making them solid (they're currently cast hollow). Hot glue works for a time before it just loses its grip on the glass eyes so I'm figuring something along the lines of doing each one, one at a time: gluing the eyes in, sealing the cracks with mold putty, and then filling the shells with more resin.

God, I hope that works.

Re: Another Raiders Fertility Idol: A WIP - 9/11/2014

Since I'm posting pictures elsewhere, I thought I'd update this, too!

Good news: What I hoped earlier worked! The eyes are secured and I filled each one up with plaster (with an inch-wide column running through the center) so now they have some weight and story to them. I gave them all another coating of black gloss to give it one final smooth layer before painting them gold.

Should be wrapping this up in a little bit, I hope.

004.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back