Another OB1 Weathered Mini.. WTF?

Jedi2016

Sr Member
I just got the latest email from MR, upcoming Mini releases..

Obi-Wan ANH Weathered
Luke ANH
Anakin AOTC

Granted, the last two are must-haves, but... I already have the Obi-Wan ANH weathered, from the last "exclusive" run they did.

So much for whatever value the last Obi-Wan mini had. I've still got a spare, too. Bastards.

It looks like MR is now offering limited editions based on stand types, ect. The CE is pissing off so many collectors its not funny.
I don't mind as I would like to see the lower cost props for my kids and I bought the originals because I wanted the best realistic piece I could get. But for those investing in these for the collectability and monetary value factor, its definately not a popular decision.

Originally posted by Gytheran@Jan 10 2006, 11:14 PM
You still have the exclusive stand, right? :lol
[snapback]1155899[/snapback]​

That's the problem.. the stand doesn't say anything. It's just "STAR WARS", then "Episode IV: A New Hope", then "OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER".

I guess the only thing that sets it apart now is the box it came in.. it's the "old" black box, and it does have 2004 as the copyright date.

Anybody want one? I've got a spare, still in the box, never opened. :)

I'm slightly bummed about this too, but I'm glad to see a Luke ANH coming out. The picture of the Luke looks nice and shiny but the description says:

"Authentic weathered paint scheme simulating years of desert living"

Is it really weathered like the Obi?

-Propcicle

What's the difference between the CE's and LE's?

Expect to see Elite minis and Signature minis and super Elite full scales made of titanium and tungsten.

I'm psyched that I can finally get one (for minis I only collect the Obi sabers), but I remember when MR was bragging on their blog about how their stuff appreciates. They cited weathered Obi minis going for around $180 a couple of times on ebay.

The poor bastards who bought those are regretting it now. But I understand that the people who are happy about being able to get one will greatly outnumber those who were willing to pay three or four times the retail price when they were scarce.

So I guess it's only a matter of time until they release an Elite version of the Anakin AOTC LE (along with everything else).

Come on. Somebody name a date.

What possible difference can there be between the new Obi ANH Weathered mini and the previous one besides the labeling? I see from the Rebelscum archive that MR has already made both the Obi ANH Clean and Weathered editions in .45 scaled, in addition to the gold version of the Clean edition. MR might as well do themselves a favor and straightforwardly declare all their upcoming items as being UE's (Unlimited Editions).

Originally posted by propcicle@Jan 11 2006, 04:47 AM
I'm slightly bummed about this too, but I'm glad to see a Luke ANH coming out.  The picture of the Luke looks nice and shiny but the description says:

"Authentic weathered paint scheme simulating years of desert living"

Is it really weathered like the Obi?

-Propcicle
[snapback]1155931[/snapback]​
I doubt that anything other than the Obi will be weathered. The follow up e-mail for these minis has the offending line about weathering removed from the Ani AOTC and Luke ANH. Looks to me like a cut and paste error on the website.

Originally posted by Imperious825@Jan 11 2006, 12:13 PM
So I guess it's only a matter of time until they release an Elite version of the Anakin AOTC LE (along with everything else).

Come on.  Somebody name a date.

What possible difference can there be between the new Obi ANH Weathered mini and the previous one besides the labeling?  I see from the Rebelscum archive that MR has already made both the Obi ANH Clean and Weathered editions in .45 scaled, in addition to the gold version of the Clean edition.  MR might as well do themselves a favor and straightforwardly declare all their upcoming items as being UE's (Unlimited Editions).
[snapback]1156089[/snapback]​
The Obi weathered mini was an exclusive and was never limited. Agreed the fact that it's an exclusive, and the numbers got out (2000 for QVC, and 500 for Walmart.com as I remember) made it appear limited, but if the exclusivity has a time period (which is likely), or they get permission from QVC and walmart then they're free to make more of them. This is different from an LE which is limited to a certain number and no more (although MR might find ways to produce more of what may be regarded as the same item later - but that is definitely a different topic.)

As I only got one for myself and don't ever buy for investment I'm happy for those that will now get to have one at an affordable price. :)

Ce's are going to be made of plastic and other less quality metal materials. Still painted up to look as accurate as the metal pieces.

Ummmm yeah, please don't shoot the newbie for the following.

I've found the "collecting" of SW stuff for monetary rewards absolutely ridiculous for some time now. I mean I've got MIB & case fresh cases of the stuff from '97-Ep1 sitting in my basement (all toys albeit). I figure my grandchildren may be able to sell the stuff & claw back what I pi$$ed away. Thanks LFL :unsure

I simply don't "trust" anything approved by LFL, this doesn't mean I'm a propmaker supplied guy only. I simply collect the things I like- with the intention of never letting them go, although w/ exponentially increasing methods & use of better materials bringing us better products, I do upgrade from time to time & surprise a friend or off to eBay it goes usually at a loss - but IMO that loss was the rental fee for the time I've had it. If I make money, well, that's an unexpected bonus.

Case point - I bought a Marmit Sandtrooper a few years ago & thought it was da bomb, well got a Medicom ST & out goes the Marmit, can't keep those 2 in the same display case. Hey at least I kept the original packaging.....

In the case of paying "extra" for a LE u've got to watch it. If there is nothing that seperates an LE from regular production then ur mental (IMO) for paying for that exclusivity. But usually there's something different - in MR's case it's better materials, weathered, signed etc. so I feel I'm paying for the better product in the long run, not a #.

MR is a very interesting company that IMO is scrutinized TO DEATH. But hey I'm passionate about this stuff too, so I tend to agree w/ most on this forum when the bricks are thrown.

But @ the end of the day MR is doing biz, doing biz to make $. Look @ the Star Corps bucket - MR apparently didn't screw the paintjob, LFL supplied them w/ the info. We all know LFL is very controlling & IMO should be, this is big biz.

But has anybody ever wondered just how much of MR's product line / runs are controlled by LFL??

LFL is the 1 rereleasing the movies add infinitum - I saw the box set released @ XMas & thought here we go again - already???. I'm sure everyone knows that the TINKERING WILL NEVER END (3D anyone???). LFL is the ones allowing Hasbro to regurgitate the toys add infinitum.

And where it hurts the most for me? LFL is the 1 that released Ep1 (& created what meeza-weesa tinks is wunna da dummiest flickies eva)...... but let's not go to that dark place now.... I'm still in therapy....

@ the end of the day, I'm happy w/ what I have in my collection, some licensed, some not, but happy that each piece was made & thank the maker whether it be MR or not.

I collect alot of stuff including pinball machines & have learnt it is impossible to judge future collectivity, regardless of production #'s.

& w/ LFL's track record (never mind MR), it wouldn't surprise me if there will be 10 runs of the scaled OB1 saber (LE, whatever) over the next 10 years. Sorry. Maybe they'll base them on the year produced - ie the 2006 .45 OB1 LE, 2007 OB1 LE etc.

All I know is I'm not getting more than 1 in the hopes that the other 10 I bought puts a downpayment on my kids first year of college......

Absolute original, well that's a different story ;)

Welcome soltic and you make some good points. MR is a company. Company's like to make money. They like to make lots of money. The more they sell, the more money they make. It's really as simple as that.

Originally posted by rad1701@Jan 11 2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome soltic and you make some good points.  MR is a company.  Company's like to make money.  They like to make lots of money.  The more they sell, the more money they make.  It's really as simple as that.
[snapback]1156124[/snapback]​

And there is no such thing as limited, exclusive, etc. Once a company has invested in molds, dies, R&D, etc. they aren't going to let it go with a tiny run. Look at the Star Wars Fan Club exclusive action figures. Or the limited edition Star Trek 1701 figures. All of them came out again, yes in different packaging, but they all came around again. Or collectors, not investors, just became plain fed up with all the variations and the market died like with comics and cards.

I too have the OWK Weathered mini, I love it, but I did pay a fairly high price expecting it to be limited and there by hard to get. However I wanted it for my collection, not for investment, but as its one of my favorite sabers. Now...why bother to buy anything "now" when some time in the future it'll come out or be cheaper (like the Rebel Blaster LE).

Originally posted by MikeyX@Jan 11 2006, 08:11 AM
The Obi weathered mini was an exclusive and was never limited. Agreed the fact that it's an exclusive, and the numbers got out (2000 for QVC, and 500 for Walmart.com as I remember) made it appear limited, but if the exclusivity has a time period (which is likely), or they get permission from QVC and walmart then they're free to make more of them. This is different from an LE which is limited to a certain number and no more (although MR might find ways to produce more of what may be regarded as the same item later - but that is definitely a different topic.)
[snapback]1156102[/snapback]​
So it is just a matter of labeling, then.

Under this logic, MR is essentially free to make more Obi ANH Clean full scales under the label of LE, since the first set was a collector's society exclusive. Hell, they could remake it in every available edition. Whoops, did I just spill their surprise for 2007? :lol

I suppose, like many things, their ability to produce the same item in more than one way also has a positive side, repeatedly which is the opportunity for deprived collector's to own a piece.

The possibilities are endless. We might see limited FX sabers that have detachable blades and hilts made with the same quality materials as a standard LE, and then limited FX's made from Elite material; signatured FX's. Sooner than these, we'll probably internally revealed sabers (cross-sections) in LE, SE, EE, and minis. Once they've exploided every possible option, they'll find a legal way to produce newly-conceived items from the same creators or co-creators who worked in the production of the films, and legitimately call them 'film replicas.' But chances are that they won't last long enough to make it that far, as is the same fate with all companies that produce in limited quantities. The longevity of such entities, therefore, depends on their creativity and cunningness in making as much profit as possible by finding loopholes around their limit. As such, I'd say MR is doing a fair job.

BTW, what is the damn production number for the MR Anakin ROTS LE? On second thought, does it really matter...? :lol

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back