another nike air mag markpoon modified shoe

who45

well i had bought a pair of modified markpoon/pitbull mags that im awaiting delivery. the intention was to modify my original markpoon pair i had but i was terrified of pulling it all apart. eventually last week i decided to bite the bullet and have a go myself realising if i made a total mess of things i could simply have a pitbull converted pair to fall back on.

so these are the pair in question - they hadnt even had the decals put on - so a quick ebay purchase gave me these:
IMAG0603.jpg

so the fun began, ripping the shoe apart and removing the small clear rubber and the heel section to test fit how i wanted the leds to fit.
IMAG0609.jpg

holes and leds fitted in the heel cup and shoe and test fitted:
IMAG0616.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

i went for clear leds - as i wanted a stealth look rather than being able to see the leds unlit through the clear rubber. test illumination:
IMAG0619.jpg

IMAG0624.jpg

splattered some turquoise paint onto the heel cup:
IMAG0634.jpg

now the horrible part - pulling the sole apart from the side, scraping away the grey rubber/foam and then scraping the clear so i have a window. i decided i wanted tuquoise leds over blue, and i also wanted to leave el out of the process. i wanted the led to diffuse the light as to illuminate the square patterns more and to have a more direct illumination sideways so i also decided to cut an arc shape into the sole to allow some reflection of light from the leds sides - sandpaper to diffuse the leds worked a treat here:
IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg

IMAG0639.jpg

heel cup declas were added
IMAG0640.jpg

and soles were re glued and splattered
IMAG0642.jpg

and re tested the leds
IMAG0644.jpg

a quick mock up of the parts to see its progress:
IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg

and the light i was wanting to be produced with the el tape section fitted:
IMAG0657.jpg

so now its time to sort the power source and wiring in the sole:
IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

now being in the uk always throws a spanner in the works and locating a judco switch seems very hard - i didnt want to order from the usa and have to pay more in postage so i needed a small switch that was also hideable - this proved quite a challenge to find a suitable option - i decided to locate the switch at the rear of the shoe to allow it to be powered up and hidden at the same time:
IMAG0666.jpg

next was the wiring which was tidied and hidden, the shoe reglued and tested:
IMAG0699.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

now the bad news regarding these shoes - the pure terribleness of the strap - mine was cracked and very worn away so i made my own, out came the sewing machine, 2 pieces of suitable material and a scalpel knife. my new strap allows me to slide the el tape into the strap with ease which simply was not possible on markpoons existing strap, mine are the 2 bottom ones and the badly worn markpoon item at the top. since these were the first strap makes and were quick and easy to see if they would look cleaner i have since made a version 2 of the strap (not pictured on this thread) the new ones have a finish which is smooth on both sides which helps the look on the velcro section where it has to be folded the opposite way ( you will see the underside on these pics) the new ones are also stiched perfectly as the first 2 were trial and error to see where i actually needed the stitching, and ill replace those when i build the second shoe this week:
IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0698.jpg

as you can see my strap allows it to be cut with ease and have a nice tidy line, one side is velcro'd and stitch on, the other end has a very high bond adhesive tape to wrap onto itself to hold it onto the foam/rubber upper heel section:
IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0732.jpg

i also added a new nike swoosh, much larger than the original, i have many nike shoes which all have a larger logo so i played around with the size and made one from the same material as the strap - im much happier with the new size:
IMAG0717.jpg

and so it was time to take pictures of the completed shoe, one done and one to go, some hi res images here as the others are all camera phone based ones:
airmagd.jpg

airmagc.jpg

airmagb.jpg

airmaga.jpg

airmag8.jpg

airmag9.jpg

airmag7.jpg

airmag6.jpg

airmag5.jpg

airmag4.jpg

airmag3.jpg

airmag2.jpg

airmag1.jpg

the new straps in its 50% stage, just need to stitch, velcro and cut the hole out to see if i can nail the finish better than i have at the moment, ill update my progress on my shoe strap when i get to the second shoe this week - im very confident i have nailed the idea in my head and the stitching will be top notch for the final one - i have lots of trial and error here, and plenty material to nail it :)
IMAG0735.jpg

the rpf database has been a tremedous help, also the ability to see how other people have made these shoes made the building very simple to do - id like to take a quick few seconds to say thanks to the rpf and the people whom have done there threads in the past, i hope some of my build also helps others out to add to the existing shoe builds on here

Last edited:
Great conversion. Can I ask what type of glue you used to reglue it all back together? And how did you do the splatter? It looks like the best I've seen!

Also, you should fix the toe area (slim it down).

Here is mine and you can see the toe area fixed:

ALMOST DONE - YouTube

Nice job, pretty sure you're going to receive lots of PMs for conversions now

be far too expensive to ship to the uk and reship out and warrant it worth doing, glad i went against the el in the shoe - id have liked the same colour as the strap but i wanted more glow than they gave - its nice to have the fade out around the light highlighting the clear area. blue leds that i could get would have been nice but they simply didnt give the required light i was seeking - seems the viewing nagle on blue was very restrictive to what i could get hold of

Great conversion. Can I ask what type of glue you used to reglue it all back together? And how did you do the splatter? It looks like the best I've seen!

glue was bondlock 2 part structural 60 second epoxy adhesive - code n69bz - literally i glued it, held it in place for 60 seconds and left it to harden for a few hours, have used alot of there adhesives before and have never been let down. im unable to tell you if it will be durable for wearing, but i never intend to anyway so in there current finishe state there glued just fine.
i glued the shoe back in sections - about 2 inches at a time and worked my way around the shoe bit by bit

the splatter was a small tub of turquoise paint from hobbycraft, a stiffish paintbrush, dipped it into to bottle and flicked my finger over the brush head over and over to create a fine speckle - nice thing about the method is you can control how much splatter to add as it flies off in a fine spray.

i did think about the toe - but i didnt find it too offensive......and when mattys hoverboard appears ill place these on the board with the heel propped up slightly. the next test for the shoe will be some thin foamex strips to see if i can simulate a lace effect from side to side of each shoe. i have the shoes padded out with cloths so im hoping with the strips added it will give a little oval bumpage.

finished the second shoe today, sorted the final straps to replace the cracked one, seems i have few left over - oh well i did make a few to get it right and experiment with how to enhance the shoe

time taken to make the led conversion for both shoes was approx 24 hrs

the shoes as a pair :)
airmag10.jpg

airmag11.jpg

airmag12.jpg

airmag13.jpg

airmag14.jpg

airmag15.jpg

airmag16.jpg

airmag17.jpg

and my replacement straps i made, there a white pvc in 2 sections, then stitched togeather, the velcro stitched on afterwards, double sided tape holds one end onto itself as its passed through the foam heel and folded back on itself just like markpoons originals, and the vlelcro secures the other end, i also made it so there is approx 22mm between the stitchwork, this allowed a 20mm x 120mm el strip to easily glide inside. ( my strap is 3mm higher that the originals for the easy glide of the el strip and allow for stitches) im sure many know what a pain it is to cut into the originals :(
the nike hole was trimmed out with a knife with light pressure to go through the one layer. the new straps i made today are not pictured on the shoes - the shoes shoewthe first gen of strap i made, the below pics where my 2nd gen which ill replace shortly. as there are 3 changes to the way i made them

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0738.jpg

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0739.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

IMAG0743.jpg

the shoe is now in the usual ikea display cabinets we all have with my signed crew jacket ;)
IMGP0016.jpg

Last edited:
Great conversion mate. The splatter paint is the best I've seen. Points for UK lads ey ;)

Glad our threads helped you out. I posted as many pics as I could in my thread for members to use, I hate the idea of hiding anything from the community. I guess to some, it's a business and they keep it under the radar.

You even used the same batteries as me, good old maplins ;) cracking job, and yes, the original straps are horrid. I had to go to a local fabric place to get some white leather.

i used stuff from work, leatherette wasnt up to it, so i used something so common it didnt compute in my head as a thought originally, the paint was from hobbycraft - i think it was the desert turquoise i chose as it was a bit greener - was 1.99 - have message you via bay ;)

i used stuff from work, leatherette wasnt up to it, so i used something so common it didnt compute in my head as a thought originally, the paint was from hobbycraft - i think it was the desert turquoise i chose as it was a bit greener - was 1.99 - have message you via bay ;)

Sweet. If you could send me a pic of the paint tub that would be spot on :cool

I've got 2 spare judco switches if you want them. Drop us a line on a pm with your address and send us enough for a few pints and they're yours :thumbsup

have sent u a link showing the pic from hobbycraft ;) - if you want post the judcos and ill post my leftover paint ;)

its virtually full - dab a brush head in the bottle and flick it with your finger.

was going to buy some switches.....but postage was more than the product - wasnt worth it

its virtually full - dab a brush head in the bottle and flick it with your finger.

was going to buy some switches.....but postage was more than the product - wasnt worth it

You're telling me! Cost me a bomb for these things, was worth it though. They are soooooo slick when in the white section :cool

Stick us a 5er across and i'll send them both out 1st class, sound fair? I'll nip to hobbycraft and get the paint after.

Nice conversion. Is it possible to slide a piece of translucent film in between the LED in the mid-sole and rubber in the outer sole? It might help diffuse the light a bit.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back