Another Kylo Ren saber, not 3D printed.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by dz-6489, Jun 3, 2015.

1. dz-6489

dz-6489 New Member

I finished my Kylo Ren saber about 2 weeks ago, thought I would share it. Its all metal, machined aluminum and brass. For electronics i have a tri-Rebel Red LED for the main and red singles for the sides. The soundboard is a Petit Crouton v3.5 and its powered by a rechargeable li-ion battery pack. I have the side blades on a separate switch so i can turn them on and off manually. The removable blades are 7/8 inch polycarbonate.

kr1.jpg
    kr2.jpg
    kr3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know what any of that technical stuff means but it looks nice!

3. ender9492

ender9492 Member

Looks and sounds awesome! I was hoping someone would make a metal hilt; while the 3D printed ones look great and all, they're not really combat-able.
    Are the exposed wires functional, or just cosmetic?
    What method did you mainly use to construct it? CNC? Lathe? Combo of both? Other?

Where's the on/off switch?
    Also, it looks like you have some set screws at the bottom of the hilt; are they for anything in particular?

4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Looks amazing, really nice job.

5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Looks sick!

6. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks good! was this based from one of the designed meshes out there or just free-handed also any build photos?. i'd be very interested in your construction methods and to see a little more metal haha your paint job is maybe a little too black ?

my only comments are the crossguard emitters look a little large but for functionality and ease of fitting a standard width blade thats A-OK

Great job !DZ

7. dejordzta

dejordzta Active Member

You really shouldn't steal film props ;)
    Looks great! How is it weight wise?

Sni9er likes this.
  8. guabe

guabe Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow this is awesome, congrats.

9. dz-6489

dz-6489 New Member

The wires are just cosmetic. I used a combination of the lathe, mill, and even hand dremeled some of the smaller parts. no CNC, all manual. If a part didn't screw together its either soldered or tack welded. The switches (3 in total, 1 for on/off of the main blade, 1 to control the aux of the soundboard, and 1 to turn the side blades on/ff are located on the opposite side of the damaged section. what looks to be set screws at the bottom are just holes allowing the sound to vent. i had some in the pommel, but the wires for the recharge port blocked a lot of the sound so i decided to put side holes in.

ARKM likes this.
  10. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

That's pretty frikkin' impressive for being done on a manual lathe and mill. I suspect sorcery. ;)

11. dz-6489

dz-6489 New Member

thanks!!! not sorcery, just a lot of saber building over the years.

ARKM likes this.
  12. vaderjeff1744

vaderjeff1744 Well-Known Member

Looks really NICE!:thumbsup

13. Sith4Life

Sith4Life Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice work