another Indy remaster....and FX updates?!

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
uh oh

"The Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection is coming to 4K Ultra HD! In honor of this year's 40th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark, all 4 films are remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image, as approved by director Steven Spielberg. Get it June 8!"
161182438_10158126570748284_5553609247100264104_o.jpg

I am 99% positive that the "extensive visual effects work" done to the films was just general dust/scratches restoration work from the original negative. It takes a looooooong time to do, and is all done frame by frame, and therefore extensive.

I don't think we're talkin' SW:SE stuff here.

SB

Yeah I would hope it’s just cleaning up matte lines and some chroma-key stuff from Last Crusade and that kind of thing—I shudder to think of any kind of censoring of violence, “updating” effects, or anything like that. Although, I really hope they don’t do too much DNR. I like film grain.

DNR is always the bane of these kinds of restorations. The studio wants a pristine picture, but the filmmaker (and film connoisseur) wants the grain and movement and gate weave. Most of the time, the studio wins, unfortunately.

SB

DNR is always the bane of these kinds of restorations. The studio wants a pristine picture, but the filmmaker (and film connoisseur) wants the grain and movement and gate weave. Most of the time, the studio wins, unfortunately.

SB
Yeah, I almost bought the 4K version of T2 the other week but backed out as soon as I started reading reviews about the color grade being changed and the heavy DNR leaving everyone looking waxy.

There's really nothing new here at all. Just the new 4K transfer and the same bonus stuff as enhanced as it could be. It would be nice if they would include higher resolution set/cast/production photos/poster art like they did on the dvd release. There were some absolutely great photos there but the resolution is so poor now. I know there probably isn't much left in terms of film but I know there are lots of photos still unreleased.

Yeah, I almost bought the 4K version of T2 the other week but backed out as soon as I started reading reviews about the color grade being changed and the heavy DNR leaving everyone looking waxy.
I was looking forward to purchasing LOTR and Indy Trilogy on Blu-ray, but after their 'color grading' I backed out. And recently Close Encounters and 2001 4K went thru some enhancing and color grading as well. Cripes, can't these people leave things alone.

Yeah it's pretty terrible. It's very teal instead of the blue hues. And due to the DNR I'd say the HD-DVD version is still the best looking version of T2.

Yeah I haven’t watched it in a while, but those campy jokes seem to be picking up the slack for Bond since Pierce retired.

Yes, those ‘fridges can take a hit from a truck; but a nuke? That might be pushing it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back