Another Han Solo ANH for your viewing pleasure... PIC HEAVY

pinder91

Sr Member
I've never really considered myself a Han Solo. In my mind, I was always a Luke Skywalker... more recently, Anakin Skywalker. I'd like to think I was more Jedi than Smuggler.

Let's face it. When it comes down to it, Han Solo is a bada$$, and all the ladies (that are worth the trouble) love him.

After really not a whole lot of thought, it was time to get started on my journey to ANH greatness. I originally joined this forum as a prop replicator/builder/buyer. Costuming, as I hate the term "cosplay", was a hobby that seems to have become more socially acceptable, therefore I feel more comfortable bragging about what I do, to what I like to call "normal people". :lol

Over the last couple years I've put together a few outfits that, while not necessarily finished (are they ever?), I was proud to show off to these normal people when the situation called for it... ie. Halloween.

It started with an Anakin Skywalker back in 2005. Pretty much every piece was put together by me. It really helped growing up with a mom that was a Home-Ec. teacher and an awesome seamstress at home. I learned a lot! I'm currently waiting on a new lambskin glove from Claudio, and am trying to find the perfect pair of boots.
n12112660_30440958_3454.jpg

The following year I started to put together a mildly-accurate Indy costume. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of this. It consisted of a Wested Raiders goatskin jacket, and an Akubra Federation. I was fortunate enough to upgrade my WPG bag with a Wade Egan Raiders strap.

The sewing bug lead me to the TDK Joker in 2007. After an ungodly amount of hours in photoshop working on replicating the hexagon pattern for his shirt, I was fortunate enough to offer my work to Indy Magnoli for use in his fantastic Joker shirt replica. This costume included real Tabio socks. The T&A tie was too nice for Halloween use, so it sat safely at home.
Joker019.jpg

Joker011.jpg

Eventually, I decided to jump in the deep end and go for a Jack Sparrow, like everyone else. This originally started as a DMC/AWE version. I'm currently upgrading it to OST with as many authentic pieces as possible (that'll be a different thread).
IMG_0893.jpg

Jack took a lot of time and money, so I went with something that would not only leave me sane, but my GF as well. What better than the Dexter obsession? Thanks to Risu (he was the first person that I saw ID'd the screen used henley) , Zombie_61 (ID'ing the Diesel boots), and DarkPassenger (for ID'ing the G-Star pants and watch). This all lead me to this.
imagejpeg_2.jpg

This past Halloween I tried to do a lot for a little. I was previously working on an Evil Dead II Homelite XL that obviously called for a complete outfit. This ended up being rather rushed and needs more work/weathering. With only some minor sewing to make the harness, I ended up with this.
ash-1.jpg

With another opportunity to use what I had, I basically opened my closet to find a complete Michael Westen from Burn Notice. Combine this...
IMG01026-20111010-1833.jpg

with a tan suit yields this.
mikey3.jpg

So here I am. I started to do my research for Han. It was looking like boots were going to be a big struggle area. I'm 6'1" and wear a size 12. Apparently this size is rather hard to find in vintage WWII Russian and German Officers' boots, which seem to be the go-to choice for OT costumers. After some time searching ebay and other forums for potential modern equivalents, I stumbled across an auction for "Biltrite Horse Riding Boots Size 12 Black 20" High". The description was very minimal, but I contacted the seller with probably more questions than I needed to ask, but after some back-and-forth I ended up buying them for a ridiculously cheap $25.
$(KGrHqF,!n8E8VcRJEMkBPLbhY8Tr!~~60_58.JPG

Upon receiving them, I stumbled across this little gem...
IMG01470-20120226-2043.jpg

They fit great. I followed up my findings with Google to discover these boots are Denher's stock riding boots with an MSRP of $600. Score! :love

Like most Han costumers, I snatched up a Denix.
IMG01469-20120226-2043.jpg

During more research, I was learning how difficult it was to find a buckle set. One of the most popular sellers, who had previously been selling buckle sets, was no longer selling them, and it was not looking good. Thankfully, Wade Egan came to save my butt again. Many of the Indy costumers know of his amazing leather wares, so it was easy to pull the trigger on his buckle set. After a quick e-mail, my package was already en route. :thumbsup

I also lucked out while looking into Han's belt tools. It turns out, that the CO2 cylinder is not really the Micronox cylinder that so many believe, but something a bit different. I luckily scored one of these for a more than fair price from our very own lonepigeon.

Here is a shot of these amazing items.
IMG01468-20120226-2043.jpg

IMG01467-20120226-2043.jpg

My deadline for the project will be Halloween 2012, so I have time to make it as perfect as possible. I'm going to try and have my ROTS Anakin upgraded by then as well, and possibly a Luke ROTJ.

Expect to see more as it develops. :cool

Last edited:
Re: Another Han Solo ANH for your viewing pleasure...

Wow... you're really running the costuming gambit! And those boots are an AMAZING find! I would love to score a pair of boots like that. Bravo!!

Based on your other other costumes I'm sure it's going to look great.

Looking forward to updates.

It's amazing how you can do multiple characters and look so much like them!

Very cool. Your dedication to researching your costumes is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

It turns out, that the CO2 cylinder is not really the Micronox cylinder that so many believe, but something a bit different.

This is interesting. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

This is interesting. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I lucked out during some research and came across this recent posting...

The Han belt cylinder actually isn't related to the Jawa torch besides being the same size. The belt cylinder is a Sparklet cartridge for a soda syphon. It's a CO2 cartridge. The vintage Sparklets cartridges (sometimes called 'bulbs') are the correct greenish color. The Sparklet bulb holders were later used on the AT-AT driver helmets. Other Sparklets pieces were also used as set dressing etc.

The rest of the thread can be viewed here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/han-gun-belt-cylinder-discovery-jawa-torch-metal-plastic-confirmed-134929/

The best part is they're already the correct color! :cool

Very cool - now we just need to get those boxes (which I suspect are 70's relays) identified.

So the rumor is that the bloodstripes on the ANH pants were embroidered directly onto the pants and not a seperate strip of fabric like the ESB/ROTJ pants. Clear reference pics seem to be rather scare, but based on this shot:
han-solo-star-wars-chronicles-promo-stormtrooper-blaster.jpg

and this one:
han-solo-star-wars-chronicles-promo-stormtrooper-blaster-alt.jpg

I think I'm seeing the stripes on a seperate strip of fabric. To me it would seem the more professional and easiest way to make them, plus I think it looks more finished.

It also appears that Han's boots may not actually be perfectly flat topped based on this pic:
11.jpg

While they may not be as exaggerated of a cut as the boots I purchased, it does look like they could be angle cut.

Thoughts?

Before I get too far ahead, I just wanted to acknowledge these comments.

Wow... you're really running the costuming gambit! And those boots are an AMAZING find! I would love to score a pair of boots like that. Bravo!!

Thank you, sir! It is a lot of work, but I'm having fun so far. I never expected to come across a deal like that, but this proves that they are out there.

Based on your other other costumes I'm sure it's going to look great.

Looking forward to updates.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to making progress myself.

It's amazing how you can do multiple characters and look so much like them!

HAHA I thought my face was the worst part of all of them. :lol But thanks.

Very cool. Your dedication to researching your costumes is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

I've been called OCD on more than one occasion. I supose this just backs up those claims.

It's possible. It's tough to say from the shots.

In my mind, though, they've never been angle-cut boots, which is why I went with the Russian officer boots I got. Trouble with those is that the shaft doesn't really hold a "round" shape quite as well as I'd want, so you end up with some more wrinkles on the boots than I envision in my mind.

That actually raises a separate issue:

Are you going for 100% "Screen Accuracy" or "Mental Accuracy"? Personally, I never go for "Screen Accuracy," but rather try to get as close to that and as square with my own mental sense of the look of the character as possible.

Obviously, the ideal is to get as close to "factory original" parts as possible, but with things like the boots and such, I don't know that there's a way to find out what specific brand and model of boot was used -- and that's assuming they were purchased from a company that did actual "models" of boots instead of just "Hey, make us 20 pairs of your riding boots and we'll pay you XYZ."

Anyway, good luck with this! I've been thinking of redoing the bulk of my Solo ANH costume for a bit now, but I need to source parts and such, so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

If you aren't gonna make this all yourself, there are definitely some solid folks out there who make good Solo replica gear. I'm a bit out of date on all of that, but I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction, if you're curious.

Does anyone know what kind of blue jeans they used as the base fro the pants or were they custom made?

Are you going for 100% "Screen Accuracy" or "Mental Accuracy"? Personally, I never go for "Screen Accuracy," but rather try to get as close to that and as square with my own mental sense of the look of the character as possible.

This is a good point. I'd like to say I go for 100% screen accuracy, but lets face it, even if I have every item the same as original, like my Dexter outift, I'm no Michael C. Hall. So let's say I go for 98% screen accuracy with the compromises usually being idealized.

Does anyone know what kind of blue jeans they used as the base fro the pants or were they custom made?

The fact that they have no pockets leads me to believe they were made for production rather than off the shelf.

You my friend are one amazing costumer. I can't believe the amount of detail you poured into that Jack Sparrow, and the Joker was among my favourites. Then again, they were all examples of stellar work.

Great stuff and love the "Burn Notice" stuff... nicely done.

Han is one of my favorites and I will be bringing mine out this year for CVI :)

You my friend are one amazing costumer. I can't believe the amount of detail you poured into that Jack Sparrow, and the Joker was among my favourites. Then again, they were all examples of stellar work.

Thank you for the kind words. I think the Joker (at least as pictured) was my least accurate, but one of the most enjoyable to be out in public with. I spooked plenty of people since everyone you saw was wearing the store bought outfit with just awful makeup only to turn around and there I was. :thumbsup

Great stuff and love the "Burn Notice" stuff... nicely done.

Han is one of my favorites and I will be bringing mine out this year for CVI :)

I'm glad to see another Burn Notice fan. That show is was started my "expensive collection".

There seems to be little information out there regarding the sparklet cartridges used on the ANH belt, so I scoured ebay for some pictures. So just incase anyone doesn't understand what to keep an eye out for..
sparklets001.jpg

sparklets.jpg

They were used in one of these:
sparklets002.jpg

So how has everyone been lining, if at all, their vests? I checked out Kay Dee Designs website (Kay Dee Designs - Star Wars Han Solo Costume) which stated:

After taking a tour of the Dressing A Galaxy exhibit at FIDM, I learned that Han's ROTJ vest is lined with a lighter weight cotton than the outer shell (something like broadcloth or Kona cotton). It's also bag lined, and the yoke is retained as a part of the lining. As this is the only information I had to go on I lined the ANH vest the same way.

Has anyone else done this? I'm planning on doing the same.

Yes, this is exactly what we do with our Smuggler Vests (lighter cotton lining beneath the thicker cotton shell).

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Cool. This appears to be a fairly common move then. I'm not going to lie, I've never heard the term "bag lining" before. I stopped at some of the local fabric stores after work today, and none of the employees knew either. Is this is common term in parts of the world?

While I was out, I had to take advantage of some of the sale prices even though they seem to be recycled monthly.

On the left we have a "bottomweight" 100% cotton twill for the shell and on the right is a 100% cotton broadcloath for the lining.
IMG01475-20120228-1819.jpg

The broadcloth was not only half the price of the kona cotton, but was actually softer and slightly lighter weight. The weave also appeared identical to my eyes.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to draft my own pattern for the vest since it's such a simple pattern, or if I should just buy the Dawn Anderson Falcon jacket pattern like everyone else. I'm only considering this since I may end up doing the ESB jacket at some point anyway.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back