Another Groot costume - but with one big difference WIP

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by PSULion22, Sep 18, 2015.

1. PSULion22

PSULion22 New Member

Hi all-I'm a new member here, and I have been using all of the information on this site to build my Groot costume. I'd like to share what I have so far with you. Building is mostly done, now it's time for detail. I have 5 days to get it donebefore it needs to go public!

So it's using the common build technique - PE pipe insulation glued to some kind of suit - that the very talented Calen Hoffman came up with and most use. But my costume has one very big difference from others that I'm really proud of. Almost every other Groot I've seen uses EVA foam to create the mask. There are two problems with this technique. First,it's difficult to get the proper shapes, depth, and expressions from the foam. The foam is thin, and even with layering it, it still isn't thick enough toreally get the necessary detail and shape. Second, the mask doesn't move. You can't emote or convey facial expressions. You can't open the mouth to eat or drink. Speaking can be muffled. So I have gone a different route. One that alleviates all of those problems, but was more difficult and expensive. I'm using foam latex (or more accurately, foam vinyl.) The process starts with a lifecast of my face

image1.jpeg

7D848A29-5093-460A-8133-8C4CF67A77BD.jpg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

7D848A29-5093-460A-8133-8C4CF67A77BD.jpg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. PSULion22

PSULion22 New Member

Then comes the sculpt in clay for what the mask will look like

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image10.jpeg

The molding and latex pull will come later.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Jmen likes this.
  3. PSULion22

PSULion22 New Member

I made the rest of the head out of foam. But not the usual EVA craft foam. This is cross-linked PE foam from http://www.foambymail.com/VA/polyethylene-foam-roll.html. It is more dense and firmer than regular EVA in things like floor mats. I highly recommend it.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

The head piece will be fitted and attached to a hat I made once the foam mask is pulled. Then I'll carve and detail the sides to finish it. I'll adhere it to the mask when I wear it to keep it from moving around.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  4. PSULion22

PSULion22 New Member

So the body is built the same way as most others. I won't go into detail. Here's my version.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

I'll make the bark pieces out of the same PE foam, carve, and paint them.

So that's where I'm at. tonight I'll be finishing the bark pieces, and priming the suit.

Which brings me to a question. What is the best way of creating texture on the pipe peices? I'm considering tissue paper or cloth with liquid latex, plasti-dip, cloth and spray adhesive, dremel/heat gun, or silicone caulk and a comb. Any other ideas? Which did anyone else prefer? Which is the fastest?

I'll be using 7" platform boots to give height. I'll be making those tomorrow along with the hands. I'm waiting on more foam to come. The plate mold for the mask is done, that will get pulled tomrrow too. more to come. . .

5. zoal

zoal Member

Looking good mate.