Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 11/09 molding**

Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 14/8 plenty of pics**

Looks like you're a step or 2 ahead of me. I know the feeling, changing it and covering the place in blankets of filler is half the fun:p Dont forget to put up pics with it on.. How wide is the helmet now?

Hi,
Great job on the helmet.(y)thumbsup
The shape and the profile looks great.

Looking forward to your vacuformed process.
Take lots of pics.

Thanks very much:).. Im gonna have to stop changing it every day haha.

Im looking forward to it aswell. We have a large vacuum former in work so fingers crossed it goes smoothly. Im trying to order in carbon fibre sheets which would look cool:D Im sure i will get trigger happy with the camera

Ok so i had a good using the vac forming machine in work. It was an interesing process:p... There are a few things i have to change to the support board and the backing of the helmet. I used ABS plastic 2mm thick, i thought abotu Polyprop but it was too thin and weak.

This is the baby I used to vac-form, Its great to have a toy like this around:D
IMG_0941.jpg

The wooden board is my base...This was where i messed up. I got a little lazy and instead of making channels under the board to a centre hole i just put 2 large holes over the vac holes, needless to say, they got clogged within 20seconds.

IMG_0943.jpg

SO..here is what came out after a failed vac. Besides the holes being blocked, the nose tore through the plastic which can be seen in the pic below. For the next attempt i will make a piece from modelling clay to go underneath. Also the undercut on the back of the helmet was a small problem but i think once the support board is done right it'll all work out. I will put up pics of the helmet once i remove it from the plastic:)....Attempt 2 tomorrow!
IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 24/8 vac forming**

Finally got some time to work on this for a small bit.Im so far behind all the other builds. Still a bit left to do; gotta sand the back straight and angle the spike trim on the forehead as its too thick atm.

Once I get all this right i'll use it as a ref for a solidmodel then pep:) So all comments welcome.

Pics arent the best since its night time here and this was taken in my room, as u can see the DS has been put to good use.

Ohh bought some smooth-on silicon and thickener. First time making a cast ( i scrapped the vac-form until i make a solid version).. Advice would be nice on how best to fill up the face gap etc:)

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 01/09 almost there**

What silicone did you buy? If you bought Rebound 25, you need to use some clay, be sure it doesn't contain SULPHUR! If you bought moldmax, then you're free to use whatever material. I used plastiline for mine and it just worked fine. I used to use rebound 25 on all of my projects, but after some incredible problems with that freak not curing as it should, I've switched to mold max and thi-vex, Works just fine. I'd not advice to use it though on a project such as Iron Man. Too many details and I'd be afraid MM would not get them as good as rebound would. Hope it helps ;) Also, I've used about a little more than 2.5 pounds of silicone for magneto.

Thanks very much:) Still lots to do,or maybe thats just me being OCD i dunno lol

Im not 100% sure but i think it was rebound 25.. so i just fill the head with clay? Actually i have a hardened plastic mold from vac forming, could probably cut out the from face and glue it on..?? I guessing the sulphur is a bad catalyst which caused cracking etc? The weight is excellent info! it will save me money cos man that smooth-on is expensive!! do u have any silicone mold pics?

Nope, no pics. It is expensive for us in Europe. Our fellows americans pay it half of the price... :D

Anyways, before you mold, go on the smooth on website and search the tutorials. Look for a tutorial for a brush on two parts mold. That will teach you a ton! I've tried lots of things but that helped me the most!

SO expensive.. i went into the guy(i also have to travel 50miles to get there lol) and asked for all the silicone resin etc and i thought 100 euro was enough, i nearly choked when he told me the price... i just looked at him and said "do you take credit card aswell?"

I shall go check out their site now, looks like its gonna be a tutorial nite again:)

very nice helmet. i have been making one as well and i know by a fact that is not easy to make. Great job...

Very nice job. :thumbsup Looks like you got the flair out at the bottom back others have missed makes a big difference.
Yeah we pay quite a bit more in Canada for the molding supplies as well so I feel your pain. ;)

very nice helmet. i have been making one as well and i know by a fact that is not easy to make. Great job...

haha no its not!:).. you should post up your progress, ya cant have too many magneto builds! As soon as i have the mold done im making a 3D model/pep file to make life easier for others

Very nice job. :thumbsup Looks like you got the flair out at the bottom back others have missed makes a big difference.
Yeah we pay quite a bit more in Canada for the molding supplies as well so I feel your pain. ;)

Glad someone noticed lol, i still have to shape and blend it just right. Im moving to Australia at the end of the month, I wonder how expensive it'll be over there. I was almost gonna move to Canada actuallu:)

yeh hopefully the 3D model will be done by the end of the month:)

I had problems with the from of mine too, i ripped off the old ones and turned in new ones..it only really takes shape once you start filling..Have you hardened up your one??

Any advice or dimensions you need just ask:) ..Ah i see what you mean about not being flat.. It looks like magneto/predator...which is awesome! hahaha

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back