Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 11/09 molding**

jaybible

After seeing Commander Cody's amazing magneto helmet build i thought i'd finally give it a go myself. (big thanks for the advice Cody)

The base of the helmet is the pep model design by Mr. Dung0beetle. Since there was a large gap, the paper tended to flair at the front, so i used string to hold the shape(lots of trial and error) and then fibreglassed.

I am about a week into the build and i'm just concentrating on the helmet shape before i add trim,which makes it pretty boring atm. Since there is no trim the scale looks a bit off. It probably weights about a kilo with all the filler:p

All comments appreciated

Last edited:
Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet

I never knew there was a pep file for this thing, damn it I could've saved myself a lot of time! :lol

Off to a great start there, maybe take a little of the height off that dome though :thumbsup And yeah, filling and sanding is the name of the game with this biuld, I admire anyone who takes on this helmet

I decided to redo a large part of the helmet this wkend, in particular, ripping off the cheeks and making new ones. It was a pain in the arse but it looks much better than before:
IMG_0899.jpg

I also when about the task of getting correct dimensions of the masked based off of Fassbenders pupil distance. So if anyone decides to take on the magento helmet here are some helpful images and dimensions:)

dimensions.jpg

I was planning on cutting this in half when im done and vacuum forming with carbon fibre in work. Has anybody any experience with this??

Last edited:

Great to see you are making use of the reference out there, I'm liking the progress so far and tip my hat to anyone making this helmet, its much trickier than it looks

Jay, the pics you're using though are not very useful The shot you're using on the right, was taken from below...the curve at the bottom end of the helmet is indeed a little different ;)

Also, I had different measurements for the front: the 76 was 85 for me and the 60 was 65 at least ;)

I'll take measurements to see what 243 looks like and 104 too.
Let you know ;)

Ok, 104 might be somewhere good, but 243 is definetely too much.
Also, 115 for the front, is way TOO small :D I have something close to 170/180. If it was 115 you wouldn't be able to fit a regular human head ;)

I've been through this with the Iron Man helmet. I usually look at 3D pics and try to make 2D templates. There are many things you need to think about. It's one of the hardest things to do.

ANyways, looks like your helmet is still too far from the neck, the angle follows closely the line of the neck and the bump of the skull.

I'll put on some pics today on my thread ;)
Anyways, keep going, the start is really good!

lol yeh the 115 is wrong:p..i notice that when i uploaded it but i was too lazy to change it. All shall be updated sunday! ...and i'll send you on a pic later today to show u my progress.

The helmet looks a lot different now thankfully. As for the neck line, i'm currently trying to add between 3-6mm along its length to take out the extreme curve. That is why i hate photos!:D

You are right about the 243, I am currently curving in the tips and it will probably be closer to 230.. if i ever stop modifying it haha.

As for 3D, im thinking of making a solid model of it for mine and others benefit. I'll probably make it in solidwords or 3dsmax..and maybe compared it with a human head in Zbrush. I was trying to not use 3d modelling for once but feck it i may aswell:)... And if you can sort me out with your dimensions I can make a start. I'll ask Cody too and can then work from all our dimensions and see which works best. Sound good??

Ok so i had some free time and got a bit more done. I still have to do the trim as it is only done in foam atm and looks terrible. I also have to do the bevelling..which will all be done when i buy more filler..

The Left and Right sides have slightly different flairs at the bottom, so i'd like to know which side is better:).. Oh and i also have to lower the brow line:p...this is a bit pic heavy.

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

Some pics of it on..

100_1852.jpg

100_1851.jpg

100_1853.jpg

Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet +Update 08/08+

The size is just about right... I have a small 22 1/2inch head so i dont wanna make it any smaller:)

How is yours coming along?

Thanks man:)... since those pics i've narrowed it down. I've spent enough time on it, i may as well get it exact:p

Ok nearly finished this thing!..just have to do the trim on the other side, fix chips in trim, fillet the edges, do the bevels around the trim and make it look pretty...and probably more stuff:p Hopefully all will be done by monday/tuesday.

Im pretty happy with the shape and size, my head is 23ish and the helmet is almost screen accurate as far as width goes. Sorry about the pic quality

Another few hrs today and i'll take a break:).. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Some pics with the helmet on for scale:)...DONT LOOK AT ME!:p

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Grrrrr...

IMG_0933.jpg

Holding it Shaw style, but nowhere near as cool:p.. the hat had to be worn cos that damn fibreglass inside

Last edited:
Re: Another First Class Magneto Helmet **Update 14/8 plenty of pics**

whats plans with this? making a cast? or just going to paint as a one off? which colour scheme? great work btw

Thanks:)... I was thinking of making some vacuum formed copies. I was gonna do something a little different and make it out of carbon fibre.. Hopefully gonna get th trim and bevelling one tomorrow and then onto the forehead emblem:)

Thanks:)... I did about 5hrs on it today (mainly waiting for filler to set:p) I have almost all the trim sorted. I just have to bevel all the edges and finish the back and run over it with 400grit....then i think im finished! lol.

I havent seen yours in a while, whats happening? Hows the emblem coming along?

The crest is finished, I just finished doing all the bevels on mine tonight, it was too dark to get any decent photos but I will get some up tomorrow, then its off for molding at long last! Its changed so much since I started but I'm really happy with what I've got now

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back