Another finished Howard P1 bust from first time airbrusher (PIC HEAVY)

SJS

Well, after months of lurking here in the Lair and admiring all the incredible projects being done, I finally picked up a Howard P1 bust from Fishzilla. Having no experience with an airbrush, and based on the awesome outcome of PredatrHuntr's awesome non-airbrush paintup of his Howard bust, I was going to go that route. But, I figured what the hell, and decided to try out an airbrush. I first bought the Harbor Freight "basic" airbrush and it was garbage. Went back and bought their "deluxe" airbrush which was an dual-action model for about $15 and I'll be damned if it wasn't pretty darn good (of course this is coming from someone who hasn't tried any other airbrushes, so take that for what it's worth).

Took me a few weeks to add the layers and details and paint the eyes. I basically used Createx paints from ta2pro's P1 tutorial, with a few tweaks here and there. Eyes were painted with basic metallic acrylic paints and sealed with dental sealer for that "gloss" effect. The mouth was coated with Liquitex gel gloss medium and the teeth were glossed with the dental sealer. The whole thing was given a few coats of Krylon Clear Gloss after painting was finished.

I was going to save up some cash to buy some dreads and beads from Hez or Bambooie, but decided I couldn't wait that long. Someone had posted a tutorial on using Crayola Model Magic for dreads, so I decided to try that (the backer rod dreads weren't really blowing my skirt up). I ended up using 2 of the 2 lb tubs and then spraying them with Plasti-dip. They turned out pretty well I think (though they're a little on the thin side), but they are temporary until I can convince the wife that I need to spend the money on "real" dreads. Dread rings will have to wait for now. Quills are made from Magic Sculpt. The display stand is a toilet paper stand from Walmart (about $12).

Thanks to Fishzilla for the bust and everyone at the Lair for their awesome finished pieces that were the inspiration for my final paint job (specifically DarthSybor, ta2pro, and PredatrHuntr).

Hope you guys enjoy it. Comments and critiques welcome.

pred12.jpg

pred6.jpg

pred5.jpg

pred3.jpg

pred1.jpg

pred9.jpg

pred8.jpg

pred14.jpg

dreads.jpg

pred5-1.jpg

pred2-1.jpg

pred6-1.jpg

pred9-1.jpg

This can't be your first airbrush... it looks fantastic, man! Awesome job. The spotting and smaller details are all there, too. :)

excellent work! O_________O'''''''
Man, I'm interested in two masks, to complete my costume predator, you gostadira a customer? XD

Your job is perfect for those who made an air brush for the first time!
I'm jaw dropped!

looks awesome great airbushing for a first time at it XD one thing in my opinion though is the black around the eyes still isn't blended in
enough like it looks like you have painted it with a paintbrush it should flow out like a shadow black if you get what I mean other than that
its awesome :)

That is just a nice peace of work for a first timer with the spray wow and where is the tutorial for the dreads.

Looks great man. I think you did an awesome job. And thanks for sharing all your little tips and tricks. It really helps out a lot.

Great work!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back