Another Fine Molds 1/72 MF

Fett_Ish

Sr Member
A month or two ago I hopped on here excited to post pics of my FM falcon. Well Alaneye had started one literally minutes before so I waited. I commented in his thread and rather than pollute his thread with my sad attempts I figured I'd try to contribute what I can.

This is my second attempt at this kit. The original was modified only with photoetch grills on the rear deck and escape pod hallway tops. I didn't even fill the gaps between the piping parts.:facepalm This one is getting lots of love as I can't see myself building a third. I am using both the 32 incher and the five footer for inspirational templates. so while I am replicating niether I am copying both,so it will look like the Falcon not some other weatherd hamburger.

The first thing I did was build the cockpit around the acreation PE set. I cut out the molded in grill (the picture in sculpting a galaxy shows no grill just a frame). I then cut a piece of styrene drilled some holes in it and glued it behind the grill. I stretched some sprue and added it to either side of the photoetch grill (twice actually as I couldn't get it thin enough the first time). I added a detail to the outer side of the tube from the five footer and the backside and one front pipe from the 32 incher. I replaced the little molded on cylinder at the end of a pipe on the outside of the cockpit tube as the injection molding process causes it to face up. At the end of the tube on the main hull I modified a part to raise up off the hull rather than lay flat on it.

Next I filed all the panels on the perimeter of the top hull,carved the detail near the 3 little pipes near the front,emulating the more ragged damage from the 5 footer, and replacing those three little pipes with less uniform ones that come up off the hull. I also removed and replaced a good portion of the piping on the two front top quadrants. On the cockpit side I shimmed up the last part before the panels start and drilled a hole in it so that I could have the pipe travel up off the hull at an angle towards this piece emulating the 32 inch model I also added a few details in this area. On the other side I removed the three pipes near the jawbox and replaced them so they would be raised above the hull where there is no panel,again like the 32 incher. I have also started adding missing bits of detail around the ship.

Where I am right now is tearing up (gently and purposefully) the outer edge of the top hull. The number and spacing is close enough to the five footer that I am copying that damage,which is considerable. When I get to the bottom I am going to have to use styrene sheat to build tthe damage on some panels. If you read that, I'm amazed. Gp easy on me as it is a work in progress Mr. Surfacer,primer,sanded spots etc,etc. Suggestion,questions,critques welcome! Oh yeah,the main hull and mandible 'transmission' parts are held together with rare earth magnets for access to electronics.

Looking good, Fett. Wow, you have replaced the whole of the pipe set... hmmm, I was trying to avoid doing that lol The cockpit lighting looks great. Are you going to be applying colour to it? Are you going to be able to hide the power inside the kit, or will it have to be external... I can't make out yet if it'll fit inside.

Al

Al, yes I did rip up and replace them. It is easy with a new flat blade on the x-acto. The cockpit lights are actually colored as the decals are,it just doesn't show in my pic. For now the lights will run internally off 9volt,but I may change this which is why the model is put together with magnets for access,but since I know zero about electronics,I didn't want the kit to sit until I had that figured out. Thanks for the feedback.

My PE set turned up today... I feel really intimidated by it lol How easy/difficult is it to work with and fit?

Al

Scratchy, thanks,that is high praise,considering your efforts in micro detailing the 144th version. Crackerjazz, appreciate it,it has become a job! *I've been watching your build as well, love the display. *I would love to attempt something similar. Beatlepaul,thank you, I love your conversion,now that is an undertaking.

Alaneye the PE is pretty easy to work with. The stuff you have been doing on your build lead me to believe you will have no issue. Put some color on the parts before you decal as they are pretty transparent. *The brass will show through. I found this out too late but it's still sweet! I wussed out and didnt light up the center console but someday in the future.....one ting I have decided to do is thin the lip of the rear exhaust thingies on the back and install the photo etch grill from the bottom. Otherwise there is no lip where there should be. It's gonna suck,this is one of the times I prefer 3D. Delete!Also be sure to not rush to just use the PE, there are a couple partson the engine deck I am not using as the kit ones match the 32 incher anyway.

I have added the big crinkled panel on the bottom behind the cockpit,on the panels on either side of the escape pods and around the rest of the bottom perimeter. There isn't as much down there as there is up top. The panels on either side of the escape pods on the cockpit side are beat to hell while the other side is pristine. I wonder if both these are due to camera angles needed or just the way they did it. Anyway I think it really adds to the look. If anyone is gonna try it, first I cut the panels from the outer edge to the first lip on the under/upper side of the hull halves. *I used needle nose pliers and tweezers to bend the plastic and then a little glue if the part cracked ( or broke). Then I filled with green putty and Mr.Surfacer (glue if I needed some 'welding'), then sanded and repeated all in an effort to make it appear that metal had bent and crumpled. The plastic isn't crazy about being mangled and crumbles and breaks without much give. Flame heat is bad,didn't try hot air, I just glued many a tiny tip back on.

For the really crumpled panel I first ground down a portion of the molded in panel flush with the hull. I then bent a couple of wide strips of styrene how I wanted them,then glued them to the hull. Then,for fun,I spent way too much time blending it into the hull. It looks sweet though so it was worth the effort. Hopefully it will set my build apart,although now that I say that I am sure someone will post a link! I'll try to gets some picks up tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Come on Fett, I want some inspiration... where's those pix you promised. I'm off on holiday for a week tomorrow, but will probably feel like getting stuck into the cockpit when I get back.

Alaneye I will try to post some tomorrow or the next day. I went pretty crazy on this and think it is time to get it prepped for primer. Every time I say that though I find one more thing I want to do!

So I am finally posting up some pics of my almost done Falcon. I completely changed directions on this build and went more for a 5 footer look, although I took elements from either that I liked. I added lots of little details but did not do much in the way of acurrizing jawbox or toe in, but I am very pleased so far with what I did change. I was going to explain all I have done,but there are pictures ( I have many more if anyone cares to see them) of pre primer included. Please comment. Rivet counters beware! This build may make ya queazy:sick, but I wanted to have fun and since I built my first FM falcon to resemble the 32 incher I wanted this build to be more organic. Again comments questions welcome!

Well now, someone has been burning the midnight oil ;) Looks really great, Fett. I love pic 13, how you've damaged the grills like in the photos of the studio model. I have to admit, when I looked at that pic there was a moment when I thought it was the studio model... well done.

Al

I have to admit, that's a bit more weathering than I often see in these. That being said, I REALLY like it. And when I get back into doing mine, I hope to get that level of paint quality!

bravo!!!!

I like what I see a lot. Everything blended together pretty nicely to come up with something that looks like an ESB version of the 5 footer (which was more weathered than the 32" was).

As for rivet counters being quesy, LOL. I wouldn't worry much about that. I've found that getting to work on and finishing a project tends to be more satisfying than griping about what a specific kit may or may not have on it. A built model looks SOOO much better than a few pieces sitting on a table somewhere or in the box.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back