Question Another Fake RPF Site? (answered)

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by jjdelong, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jjdelong

jjdelong New Member

Noticed this in google today, theres a www.the-rpf.com and its the top search result when you type in replica prop forum. Then below that theres www.therpf.com .... another fake site?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you type in "therpf.com", you will be redirected to "the-rpf.com", so it's the same fake site.

3. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Also, just as a heads up, we are suggesting that members do not go to the fake site at all because there is always the possibility that the thief is using that site for other detrimental purposes (spreading trojan horses, rootkits, viruses, etc).

4. jjdelong

jjdelong New Member

Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up.

Any idea whose behind the fake site and why him/her is doing that?

5. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Yes, and money.

6. jjdelong

jjdelong New Member

Understood. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

7. TheWhiteGrail

TheWhiteGrail Member

Jesus, I was just logged on to the fake site, took me a couple of seconds to realise...

8. EIDesignStudio

EIDesignStudio Active Member

I did the same thing when I first found the site I did not know i signed up and looked around for a hour before I got a pm telling me that the site i was on is fake and not to come back..

9. jjdelong

jjdelong New Member

Just to play it safe its probably a good idea to change your password if you havn't already, that is if its the same one you used on the fake site. :ninja

10. SolidMongoose

SolidMongoose New Member

I signed up for the other site not knowing about the hack, and was warned by PM almost instantly that it was fake. The people who are still frequenting that forum to warn others are doing a fantastic service. :thumbsup

11. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Very glad to have you here and our guys in the trenches are doing a GREAT job! When one considers this is going into the second month and that our members have been keeping up the fight without ceasing, it is really a testament to their devotion to this site and community.

12. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

13. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well in case you are in doubt, i think dung beetle had posted a list of other blogs and community sites that all show and state that thereplicapropforum is the legit site, There is also a link to the legal document that states much the same as well in the next steps thread over in the off topic area.

Previously you can see where therpf user was banned on the previous site, as were almost ALL of the moderator accounts when the hacker decided to setup shop.

Finally the hacker that stole the original site, has now put up a fake FBI takedown notice that also attempts to run malicious code on your computer as well.

14. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

Okay many thanks for the info, Think i got the right one, never too safe online!

15. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo New Member

Thanks for the heads up!