Another DOTA Juggernaut mask build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MaceRider

So this is the second Pepakura headgear I've ever made, but the first one I'm actually going to finish. A guy I know asked me to make him a mask for his Juggernaut cosplay, and I, being the too-nice-person I am, agreed to help him.

I searched far and wide for a decent Pep file and eventually found one on some Spanish-language site (I believe). Printed out the 20-odd sheets of A4 cardstock I needed for the project, and got to cutting.

Eventually I cut everything out and started gluing. That was when I actually started taking photos of the progress :rolleyes

Baby steps...
tumblr_mvx0ql78lA1sfpktio1_1280.jpg

A little more progress made
tumblr_mvypowVxXX1sfpktio2_1280.jpg

Gluing done!
tumblr_mwy2k8gAa71sfpktio1_1280.jpg

Started epoxying
tumblr_mxh47jqa7Z1sfpktio1_1280.jpg

More epoxying
tumblr_mxizsxoaGq1sfpktio4_1280.jpg

The mask along with my first-ever Pepakura project and an unfinished Eiserne Drossel 2P prop from Soul Calibur 5
tumblr_my2lujS2Av1sfpktio3_500.jpg

And some final epoxying
tumblr_mzie6w8XdE1sfpktio3_1280.jpg

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. I've been sanding the past couple days, trying to get rid of as many high spots and runs in the epoxy as I can before I start applying filler and primer. The one question I've got regarding that stuff is, my polyester filler (what I could find locally here in Russia) says that it can be applied to 2-part acrylic primer and cured paint/lacquer surfaces, but not to 1-piece acrylic primer or nitrocellulose surfaces. Spray can primer is, as far as I know, 1-part acrylic. Is there a specific reason why you're not supposed to apply poly filler to rattle-can primer? Do they react to each other and lose adhesion?

Eventually I hope to have this mask finished well enough to make a silicone plug with it, build a rotocasting rig and try my hand at casting some masks from Smoothcast or something of that nature.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MaceRider

Opened a can of polyester body filler. Realized that it stinks to high heaven. Realized I don't have a heated garage to work with the stuff in. Decided not to play with it for now lest I poison myself. Decided instead to add some reinforcement to the Juggernaut mask with another couple layers of epoxy and some fiberglass gauze crap I had laying around. I think it's for reinforcing joints between sheetrock and your floor paneling or something, but whatever.

I think I'll save the body filler for the weekend when I'll be at my mom's place with a little more free space and time on my hands to do a good job with it. For the time being I guess it's just endless layers of that gauze crap.

Last edited:

MaceRider

So approximately 3 rounds of filling and sanding later, I ended up with this. I really should have done some more filling and sanding, but I was getting pretty close to the deadline I had to meet, so I decided it was good enough. Also, I really decided that I should explore other fillers, because this one left much to be desired in terms of workability and overall ease of use.
1604691_616521051746247_698412145_n.jpg

MaceRider

After a quick paintjob, this is what I ended up with. It's heading off to Moscow for a convention as we speak, so I can't take any photos of myself wearing it right now, but if it comes back alive, I'll take some more shots of it.

dota2__juggernaut_mask_by_macerider-d74iqnr.jpg

MaceRider

Do you have a link to the pep file? I've tried searching far and wide and never found juggernaut's helmet file.

Sorry man, I don't have the file anymore I don't think. It shouldn't be hard to find though, just Google "juggernaut mask .pdo" or something like that, that's how I found it.

First pic of the mask actually in use. It looks a little big, but it's actually almost too small for the guy wearing it. Just one of those things that you can't really make "perfectly accurate" in terms of proportions.

v9F-Ekz57TI.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.