Another casting silicone from a silicone mould question thread...

Odin82

Sr Member
I've browsed the silicone casting from silicone mold threads in the past. So I thought all would be cool.

A couple of months ago, I was casting dragon skin silicone from a plaster cast, and the mold broke. Nothing big that can't be repaired. However, I thought it would be best to hold on to the last cast, and re-mold it, but this time with silicone.

Yesterday, I made a negative mold from the dragon skin silicone cast, giving it two coats of ease release 200. I then poured smooth-on Mold Max 30. This morning, I went to de-mold, and the two have sort of bonded… I managed to remove a corner with some force before heading off to work. I estimate it might take me an hour to separate the two later.

I had intended on casting some dragon skin silicone from the Mold Max 30 mold tonight, but am now fearful of a similar occurrence. Anyone have any tips, or have dealt with a similar problem?

I have different products but generally the sticking is not the same as full on valcanizing that silicon normally does without release.
Just be patient.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. It's my first time casting silicone from silicone, so I didn't know that this huge level of sticking was normal. I might give it a go this evening but may apply a lot more ease release, and see how I get on.

Unless you are using something in the lines of Smooth On's Inhibit-X within your Mold Max mould, and even then you run the risk of inhibition.Platinum silicone (Dragon Skin) into a tin silicone (Mold Max) mould is a big no no! Inhibition for sure! The other way around tin into a platinum mould is ok.

Yep, I dun goofed and became aware of my error earlier while googling. Getting the price on the Inhibit X in the morning. I was aware before that tin - tin, platinum - platinum, but it completely slipped my mind!. I'd say the best bet is to use my original plaster mould, and repair the crack lines for the time being. Until I can get my hands on Inhibit X.

Cheers for the info guys!

Unless you are using something in the lines of Smooth On's Inhibit-X within your Mold Max mould, and even then you run the risk of inhibition.Platinum silicone (Dragon Skin) into a tin silicone (Mold Max) mould is a big no no! Inhibition for sure! The other way around tin into a platinum mould is ok.

Yes,wow! Great points. Mixing Tin with Platinum is as high risk as mixing air cured with additive cured. You might just end up with a big gooey mess.

Molding from a silicone mold should be no different to making any 2 part mold, except there won't be a cavity (from the master) inside.

When I did mine, the master was letters machined into hard plastic (Perspex). I made a mold of that part in silicone first which gave me raised letters on a flexible rubber sheet. I coated that with release and then made a second mold from that first mold. Now I had flexible version of the original machined part. This made extraction of the cast parts much easier than trying to dig them out of the Perspex. I was using flexible polyurethane BTW, so it was possible to get the letters out of the Perspex, but there was a higher risk of tears.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back