Another Blade Runner PKD Display Case

YoungGrissom

Well, after a few years of lurking I'm posting a project. First off, the amount of knowledge, talent, and slightly scary obsession here is awe inspiring. I've learned a ton and done a few projects, including a DL-44 and Coyle PKD. Thanks to all those thousands of posts and details that made it relatively easy. I ride on the shoulders of titans.

So here's the Coyle
PKD.jpg

But that's not the point.
After finishing the PKD I realized I needed a better way to display it that could somehow coexist within a typical American living room. So here's the progress.

First I wanted a box reminiscent of a manufacturer's presentation case. Several versions of those have been done, but I wanted something a bit different. Since the PKD is definitely more World Con than Tomen I imagined a Steyr presentation case that had been through some things, with a few of the artifacts that might have lived along side. But display case first.

I had planned to make my own box but while scavenging my go-to Goodwill I found this guy:
oldbox.jpg
oldbox3.jpg
oldbox2.jpg

Perfect size and shape and exactly what I had planned to make, but $3.99 so of course it saved me a ton of time. It had clearly been through the ringer. It had originally been some sort of odd music box that maybe held a bottle. Had some weird internal structure that had to go. Music player was toast anyway. While taking it apart I discovered under the hinges some old writing that the builder used.
oldbox4.jpg

Something about that old writing really connected me to the original craftsman. So yeah, I sanded that off. Next up the staining.

For the stain I wanted something that would work with the overall color scheme I had in mind. I love the amber cast to the PKD grips and planned the interior box to use an orange and gray felt. So I wanted the stain to be a bit more red. After some experimentation with the wood I chose a "cabernet":
stained.jpg

Looked nice - too nice - but was a good start for the aging I would do.

Next was the interior box. I wanted a segmented inner box that would have a compartment for an old ammo box but could also lift up to tilt and better showcase the PKD. Used some 1/4 inch birch to build it. Here's the clamp-up. The foam cutout for the PKD gives a sense of the scale.
innerbox2.jpg
felt1.jpg
innerbox3.jpg

The final foam cutouts with the rough felt fit-up:
innerbox4.jpg

and the final inner box with completed foam and felt lining:
finalfelt.jpg

Well done. For me I would have used red felt. I get the orange due to the amber handle but I think the red would have offset it more. The box is on point and the color is excellent. I go to goodwill all the time as well you just never know what you will find there. I have many of Coyles props. GC

Attachments

• C786CE52-F417-4E32-A7C6-87CA286B710D.jpeg
    C786CE52-F417-4E32-A7C6-87CA286B710D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
I remember making my PKD box years ago and its always very satisfying to see how other collectors take the idea and turn it into their own.
Lovely work on your box and thank you for sharing your build.

Regards,
MARK

Thanks for the support guys. Here are a few shots of the ammo boxes. These are printed, aged, and then 77ed to pizza box paperboard. Spent a good bit of time studying old ammo boxes. This is the right size, shape, and construction for 50 .44-40 rounds. The seals are rub on transfer with a packing tape cover to give them a sheen. The idea is that these would be controlled items, issued to police.
First prototypes:
ammo6.jpg

Final version
ammo1.jpg
ammo2.jpg
ammo3.jpg
ammo4.jpg
ammo5.jpg

A few shots of the badge and external graphic mockups in paper to get a sense for the overall effect:
badges3.jpg
badges2.jpg
basges4.jpg

Started first with the data plate. Aged the aluminum in a witches brew of vinegar, bleach, and salt, at least one of those worked to pit and dull the brushed finish. Then applied a rub on transfer for the data and riveted to the box.
plate2.jpg
plate1.jpg

Finally I added an LAPD challenge coin, appropriately aged.
plate3.jpg
plate4.jpg

Last couple of badge details. Did the final weathering first. Car keys, bike tire change tool, bit of rubbing with a teak oil to give it a sheen and remove some of the stain. That was hard but necessary. Get it looking nice and then mess it up.
weathering.jpg

Then the seal. Again, the idea is that this would be a controlled item, registered to the officer and monitored. The seal serial number reflects the weapon inside. Same technique as the ammo box seals with a packing tape overlay for the sheen.
seal.jpg
seal2.jpg

Finally the City of LA seal decal. Tip o' the hat to Mr Savage. This is a print with packing tape overlay.
LA2.jpg
LA1.jpg

Fantastic work and show of craftsmanship. I agree with using a different colour than orange, since IMHO the eye is somewhat drawn away from thw blaster. A dark green felt and probably a little bit of illumination maybe?
What about locks to protect the gun from unauthorized access?

But thats one of those couch potatos speaking, envious as hell and blessed with two left hands ;)

Yep, understand and appreciate the feedback on the orange. I plan to knock it back a little with some aging, but yall are right about the concern with distraction. I initially imagined it as a kind of neon glow around the edges. When its fully inserted the orange is a bit less overwhelming but its brighter than I initially wanted.

OK, the manual. There are some awesome versions out there. I started with a reference of an old Steyr manual I found online and then downloaded a Beretta owners manual to modify for the text. Replaced the graphics with diagrams with some build instructions for Tomens and Hartford. At some point I'll redo these, but I really wanted ti get done. Aged the paper with some heat (almost literally over cooked it), then some ideas around how this would have made it through life to this point.
manual1.jpg
manual2.jpg
manual3.jpg
manual4.jpg

manual5.jpg

Great comment about the locks, too. Just got delivered yesterday. I'm aging them now and hope to install today. They're a bit unusual but think will fit with the whole vibe.

Absolutely fantastic! GREAT work sir!

YoungGrissom Do you mind if I ask you for some insight into your techniques? I am working on a similar project - even down to the old silverware box I purchased at Goodwill. The theme for my blaster display will be "retro" as I am building it as if Deckard was an LAPD Detective in the 1930s/1940s (think "retro-neo-noir"). I have the Illustrator skills and have knocked out a "vintage" Steyr logo along with some additional paperwork to go the with blaster, but my questions are:
  • The foam and felt lining: What kind of foam did you use? What kind of glue did you use to adhere the foam to the felt? What kind of glue did you use to adhere the felt to the birch? Any tips you can share on the process would be greatly appreciated.
  • The aluminum plates: What is the source of the aluminum discs? Are these off the shelf, or did you have to cut them? I assume the front data plate is custom (great touch by adding the coin!). What is the process for the rub on transfer? Is it correct to assume I just need to get some transfer paper for my ink-jet printer?
  • Ammo box: What is the advantage of making the seal a rob on transfer with packing tape cover as opposed to just a regular printout with packing tape cover? Is it the transparency?
Thanks for sharing your build, and thanks for any tips you are willing to provide.

Here is the logo I have mocked up... not sure about the outter font choice, but again, I'm going for a 1930s look.

- J

Attachments

• steyr_logoTEMP.jpg
    steyr_logoTEMP.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 234

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back