Another Amazing Spider-man Costume :) (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by carl9149, May 19, 2012.

1. carl9149

carl9149 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, thanks for looking, I will update this post as and when I have them to update. Completed this file once already, but then my computer crashed and lost everything :cry So I had to start it all over again and found that I had done a better design. (And purchased an external hard drive as a backup option...Worth every pound) :lol

SORRY ABOUT THE POOR QUALITY OF SOME OF THE PICS...

So first is the blue sections:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All done from scratch....and the then the red:

[​IMG]

Then some shots of them together with webbing etc:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To get the effect of the pattern (above) I had to remove, or delete, portions of the pattern to get the effect above.

Then I sent it off to the printers for a test print, on a small scale, which I am sooooo glad I did simply because I forgot all about changing the selection from RGB into CMYK. The following pics are of the RGB methods, I have since changed the next print I am getting to the CMYK settings and fingers crossed will turn out better, but we will have to wait and see.

The test print:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And had to give one of the arms a quick sew and see what it looked
    like :lol

Remember this test print is alot smaller than the full size would be, so looks smaller on my arm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, like I stated above once I have any updates, I will share them.

UPDATE: Since I have been re-working this file here are the newest design pics of the file I am creating, and I now have a larger source to store pictures onto so these will be staying on this thread page.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

Very nice, man!

3. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Very cool! I have to ask though, where is everyone getting the base pattern to modify? I want to do this myself.

4. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

Awesome! Cant wait to see more.

5. carl9149

6. carl9149

And thanks for the kind comments guys

7. CDub

CDub New Member

Yeah, nice work. I can't wait to see more!

8. drftfan

drftfan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is one suit I am looking forward to seeing come to light

9. Sonjou

Sonjou Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great work Carl!

10. carl9149

Thanks guys, just waiting for the print to come through now then I can give some updates...and pics.

11. carl9149

Got bored today so started playing around with some different designs and wanted to share them through this page. My TASM print should be with me some point next week :)

Completed a Raimi pattern and added some elements from the amazing spiderman patterns:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a work in progress is a black spider version:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

12. theavengerguy

theavengerguy New Member

how elastic is the material? some of the pictures make it seem like felt, while others make it seem like tights

13. carl9149

It's printed onto a 4-way stretch lycra which is very elastic.

14. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Hi.

I don't know who you are using for printing the fabric but I have had excellent results using R.A smart. They digitally print as apposed to dye sub so the colour saturates the material although your print already looks good for saturation. Might be worth looking into if you are not using them already.

15. carl9149

Thanks for that fettster, do you have any pics of the work you have had done?

16. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

that black suit is amazing. what are the white spots for?

17. theavengerguy

theavengerguy New Member

can you link me to where I can buy that material?

18. carl9149

Eyeofsauron, the spots are like the square parts on the black symbiote costume, but I just decided to make them round instead. Where the webbs shoot from in the comics.

19. carl9149

And theavengerguy, if you mean the lycra, just type in "4 way stretch shiny lycra" in ebay and you should see loads on there.

20. Spirit of ob1

Spirit of ob1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good! I like that black version!

21. carl9149

small update, recieved the full print today, not 100% happy with it but I never am with the stuff I do lol...so the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now all I need is to find someone who can sew it for me :)
    Ahhhhh the fun od costuming.

22. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

did some one say they needed a seamstress?? lol pm me....

23. carl9149

small update, been working today on the eye frames for this aswell figuring out how the webshooters will be made, but for now just the eye frames:
    started with some thick card for the templates
    [​IMG]
    then the free hand design
    [​IMG]
    Then the cutting and trimming of the card
    [​IMG]
    then for the mold
    [​IMG]

And here are the results
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there we go, pretty good start still need to trim them, paint them and add the centre piece. Thanks for looking!

24. carl9149

Small update, not had enough time on my hands lately for this but that's the usual case for me and work :( Anyway, started on the webshooters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really need to buy myself a decent camera!

25. stevechewbacca

stevechewbacca Active Member

26. Ultimate Cap

Ultimate Cap New Member

Nice skill man. Wish I wasn't so lazy. Lol can't wait to see more.

27. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Well-Known Member

Wow! Great work. Where did you send the pattern to for printing? More pics please!

28. GammaGreen

GammaGreen Member

A lot of people print using Design and Print Custom Fabric Designs on Demand although I've heard different things about the thickness of their spandex...most say it's a little too thin for their taste, but it's still worth it if you want a costume. They have an tailoring department too, so perhaps if enough of us call and ask for suits to be sewn, they'll become experts at the pattern.

Silvia's Costumes in LA and NYC also prints spandex. I've been told that they actually did some movie prototype work for one of the Spider-Man movies, but I haven't confirmed that. The guy you want to talk to is named Hike.

As for saturation, you can get spandex saturated with the correct setting in Photoshop, although it's a bit of a pain. Worth it though.

Fett, did I hear you are/were printing on the "Mona Lisa"? :love:love

29. carl9149

So I'm still waiting for the seamstress I found to sew my costume together, which she is working on within other jobs (she fits me in when she can), so I thought I would start cracking on with the extra mask I had printed at the same time. The puff paint is in so I thought I would share some small update, since everything else I'm doing is just waiting for things to be done by others :)
    Using puff paint is very difficult for a first time (which I am) so a small tip I found by doing this mask was to allow a small blob form on the end of the tip, then simply keep that blob as I glide the puff paint tip over the template which was printed.
    So before pic:
    [​IMG]

The start of the painting, prior to figuring out the tip bit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then once I found my stride is started getting easier for me, using the above blob idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there we have a small update for my suit, and gotta say that MCL34N has way more talent than I do, and it's alot harder than it looks, believe me :) But it's also alot of fun. Had to stop now like as me finger n thumb have started going numb lol. And this mask was just an extra one I did at the time of the print as I wanted something to test on. Thanks to MCL34N aswell for allowing me to use his pictures as a reference source for creating my own version of his work, I did not want to just use them without asking, always a good idea I feel!

30. mjjparker

mjjparker New Member

I Send A PM Please Answerme This Looks VERY VERY Cool...¡¡¡
    I Love The Texture Please Answer My PM

Congratulations ;D

31. LDJosh

LDJosh New Member

I absolutely love your black spiderman! you wouldn't believe how many times i've heard of someone forgetting to switch rgb to cmyk before print (I worked in the marketing dept. for a major publisher years ago) and it's pretty common.

32. Redtogusa

Redtogusa Well-Known Member

Don't worry mate, it gets easier. You got the right idea with the 'blob' method. Looking good so far.

33. carl9149

Well a funny thing happened when I decided to stop the work last night as I was tired...that's right I dropped it on the floor :(:( and it all smudged lmao. So another tip is to make sure that it is maybe pinned onto a board for movement around your work area. Thankfully most of it had dried and only a small part was no good. But like I said it's just a test piece I had extra :)
    Love learning, don't you:)

34. carl9149

I find it funny that the printers I use did not tell me before they went ahead with the first print. Trying to find a new one, a cheaper one but the UK has very limited companies that are willing to do these for me. There is a market out there for this type of business and if I had the cash, would do it. But I don't have the money for a huge printer :)

35. darkknight1979

darkknight1979 New Member

Great work! This forum just amazes me!!!

36. Domzke

Domzke Active Member

Nice work here man. I want to eventually crack on with a mask of my own. Since you're from the UK as well, I was wondering who you used to print your pattern?. Like you said it's not easy here.

Again nice work, looking forward to more updates.

37. afzafri

afzafri Member

mindblown man!can't wait to see the result.hope you can post more pics!

38. Progendev

Progendev New Member

Ouch that's rough! Well keep up the good fight!

39. mjjparker

mjjparker New Member

This is Great And Different For The Details...¡¡¡¡
    I am aware of the final product ;D

40. carl9149

Small update, some more paint added, only managing to do alittle bit at a time since my fingers are not the best :rolleyes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Above you can see where I have had to re-do some work due to my dropping it on the floor :facepalm And the difference in lighting, this is taken by the window with more light, and no flash. This is what I really like about the paint, once some good light hits the fabric, it really shows how much better a printed piece, with this paint, shows more details.

[​IMG]

I think that I may be getting abit better with the painting now :love

[​IMG]

41. tylerswim23

tylerswim23 Well-Known Member

I can tell your getting better at it. Keep it up! Is it as red as it is in the pic? the puff paint i mean

42. jrenemtz321

jrenemtz321 Well-Known Member

It's coming together very nicely.

43. Allfate

Allfate Active Member

I really love your version of the black costume, that is really top notch work!!

44. afzafri

afzafri Member

The most thing I want to see is the mask.Since I was a child(6-7 years old) I always want a spiderman mask.But all I can find is the plastic one.hahah.Keep it up man!

45. carl9149

The paint looks like this as soon as it is applied, when dry it looks darker, until the light hits it @ tylerswim23.

46. Spiderkiller11

Spiderkiller11 Active Member

I like how your lens frames came out. What material did you end up using for the cast and molding?

47. tylerswim23

tylerswim23 Well-Known Member

I figured that. Thanks for the reply! Looking good

48. Theamazingspder

Theamazingspder New Member

where did you get the print

49. Novat

Novat New Member

This is looking really good so far, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out. Each post I see just pushes me closer, and closer to trying something like this :D

50. carl9149

Theamazingspder the pattern is just an extra mask I had on the print for the full costume, I wanted something to test the painting out on.

So I'm about 90% done painting the mask now, and instead of loads of pics, I just grouped the pics I have to save some space. Just need to finish off the back pieces off and then try and sew it.
    [​IMG]

Group2:
    [​IMG]