Another 3D printed Sandman pistol (a different design - this version destined to release flame)

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I've been posting off and on in various threads about things I have 3D printed and the great
luck I have been having with my CR10S and both my ENDER 3's.
One of the subjects I have been reading about here on the RPF and elsewhere on line, is the information posted about the replica prop "Deep Sleep" Sandman pistol and how when it was reproduced (some time ago), no one has taken on the challenge to re-manufacture the pistol based on the known information and drawings of the original internal layout.
As a prop, it really only realistically needed to function properly a the time it is being filmed "to get the shot".
.
If there was a failure on set, all they had to do was fix it and re-shoot the scene again.
.
On many props (as an example) anything could happen on set and a dead battery was always a possibility.
.
One of the issues I've read about with the DS prop is the CC and Water mix to get the highly flammable Acetylene gas to create a "torch" effect in the nozzle as well as the re-designing and manufacture of the gas release valve.
.
Not to mention the corrosive properties of Calcium Carbonate and it's left over by product.
I would imagine the pistol would need to be cleaned fairly regularly.
.
So, as far as I have read, no one has attempted a remake of the original design of the Sandman pistol (metal) for some time and it is not about to start with me.
.
I do however have the tools (mill, drill, lathe) and knowledge to do so, but my challenge is to come up with a different (as well as a), new design to develop a pistol that would work "on Que" and produce a flame for the short time it would be filmed.
If the gun was needed for a single shot or two for a continuous scene, it could easily be reset and used quickly by the actor without the danger of Acetylene gas production.
.
Still not sure if it can be done (since there are no accurate drawings or directions to go by), so it has become a unique challenge for my design and electronics skill set.
.
My goal was to 3D print my design as a prototype and see what I could come up with.
This is by know means the finished product and may not go much further then it is now, but it was a gallant try for being mostly 3D printed out of PLA.
.
This of course will not be be an exact replica, only a close approximation inspired by the Logan's Run Sandman Pistol.
.
As shown in the video, I still have to develop a way to ignite the flame electronically in all 5 flame ports (not using glow plugs) and add the small detail piece (triangle) on the left side of the grip and paint.
It of course does not produce as "robust" flame as the original did or even as well as the remake, but it is the first 3D printed version that puts out flame and is a bit safer to use.
It is more for the effect.
.
It is not likely I will be posting the .stl or details of its function anytime soon, but I just wanted to share what I found and the possibility it might be done with out the use of the higher pressure of CC and water or having the clean up and maintenance issue.
.
It by no means is the perfect prop, it's just another way, among many, to create it without the use of bright LEDs.
.
It is what it is, a nice, very unique, one of a kind, working show piece for the collectors shelf :)
.
.
 
Last edited:

propmaster2000

Sr Member
Thanks :)
I used what paint I had on hand.
.
It was either my Krylon semi flat black or the flat black (I have both).
Note:
As far as the nozzle flame output jet on the center portion, I had removed the smaller "pin hole"
jet prior to making the video and forgot to replace it.
.
Each of the nozzle flame jets will be about .05" (1.27mm) when complete.
Hopefully the gas will be distributed equally in all 5 outputs.
.
I needed to design this so that it would be fairly easy to maintain, have descent functionality,
and be relatively safe as a 3D printed plastic prop flame gun could be.
.
This of course is made a bit over engineered.
Here is the current exploded view:
.
pistol view interior 2a.jpg

.
 
Last edited:

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I am still dabbling with this project off and on (more off then on), but I am making some progress.
Not sure how much more time I will be putting on this, I just wanted to see if I could design a different version of Particle Cannon
Sandman Blaster then others have created (this will have flame output).
.
Since this is 3D printed plastic (PLA) it is way more involved (complicated) then the original one was to produce.
There are way more factors to consider on this version, the main issue is, it is printed plastic.
So far, I have flame output from the four nozzle openings, but it is a little robust at this time.
I will have to adjust down the flame size with less flow and smaller nozzle diameter.
Here is a short video of the most recent test.
Better stand back for this:
.
.
 
Last edited:
Top