Anonymous (Shakespeare movie)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by SmilingOtter, Mar 20, 2012.

1. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I watched this last night, and was entertained. The basic premise is centered around the theory that William Shakespeare wasn't the author of the works attributed to him. The film is pretty much an Elizabethan political thriller.

I would have been interested in seeing it just on that basis, but it was also directed by Roland Emmerich. While he didn't produce anything Oscar-worthy here, I was impressed that he could do something other than big budget action films.

2. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was there supposed to be a link posted along with this?

3. SmilingOtter

4. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I was interested when I saw the first trailer (though that shouldn't shock anyone who knows me as I'm a history/literature geek). Glad to hear you enjoyed it... this reminded me to add it to our netflix cue! :D

That said, have you seen the trailers for The Raven with John Cusack?! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1486192/

5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Man, I have NO interest in the "Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare's plays" conspiracies. It's all so snobby. Like the poorly educated son of a glovemaker couldn't POSSIBLY have risen above his humble origins. Yeah, that NEVER happens.

6. SmilingOtter

Yes, and am much looking forward to it. ("The Raven" is one of the only poems I ever memorized just because I wanted to.)