Animal skull sculpting ?

inkmonster

hey does anyone know how well clay will stick to bone to resculpt some annimal skulls? Im allmost done with my suit but my dog nawed on my garfish skull and I cant find another even though there native to the rivers in michigan. So I was thinking about adding clay to it along with plugging up the holes on my other skulls and making a cheapo quickie brush on silicone mold of them and casting them in resin. Any tips would be appreciated Im trying to get the suit completed by the end of next week.

Well I have never messed with bones before, but I guess it would be just like sculpting something on top of a armature, but again I'm just guessing.

-Chris

Clay on bone
I never done it, but if you maybe cut the surface with wet and dry sandpaper, very high grit the clay may hold/stick.
Great, now you've got me thinking,....
Good luck and please update on how you go

Chavant Soft sticks ok, well it did on my mink skull blocking a couple of smaller holes.

i tried it to see if i could mold up my skulls ( only have turtle and mink at present ) I still do not know if i will go through with it as the skull will be knackerd after.

AVES I would use Aves apoxie sculpt in your situation.
I have some of that as well but you only have a few minutes to work with it before it starts getting hard and Im not that fast. I suppose I could use it for the repairs that way its nice and strong and use the other clay to fill the small holes so the silicone cant run inside them. Not shure if Im gonna mass produce these as Im gonna make a cheap and quick mold may only be good for a few castings. But if they do hold up I may sell a few sets of them.

Not to avoid answering your question, but wouldn't it be easier (and maybe even cheaper) to just buy some animal skulls on ebay? That's what I did. I got raccoon, beaver, muskrat, and rabbit skulls for about $50, shipping included. They also have skunk, fox, lynx, opossum, turkey, etc.

Just a thought...

Not to avoid answering your question, but wouldn't it be easier (and maybe even cheaper) to just buy some animal skulls on ebay? That's what I did. I got raccoon, beaver, muskrat, and rabbit skulls for about $50, shipping included. They also have skunk, fox, lynx, opossum, turkey, etc.

Just a thought...
Actually I allready did buy all the animal skulls needed I was gonna make a casting off them since bone especially the fish skull are so brittle. I want to make a resin cast of all of them since the resin is harder. If I could find another garfish skull I may consider just using the real ones but I only found one in 3 years and the damn dog ate it.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back